5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

jvcnova73

Reaction score
I have been changing oil when the indicator says 5%. But that is usually around 7500 miles. That seems extremely low with today’s synthetic oils. Always changed my tundra with 10000 miles no indicator. Kept for 10 yrs 160,000 miles and was never in the shop one time. Just curious what everyone else thinks.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
With my driving habits being 75% interstate I change when the oil life monitor tells me to at 10,000 miles. That means 3 oil changes a year with conventional Mobil Super 5000. Never had an issue in 240,000 miles on my last two RAM’s.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
This is a good question! I use Penzoil Platinum synthetic and change it way to often at 5000 miles with about 45% life remaining shown on the dash gage. But I get an email from Carfax saying my regular maintenance record says it's overdue. I suppose it will show up when someone looks at a Carfax report that my truck wasn't maintained properly! Screenshot_20220425-224338_Outlook.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is a good question! I use Penzoil Platinum synthetic and change it way to often at 5000 miles with about 45% life remaining shown on the dash gage. But I get an email from Carfax saying my regular maintenance record says it's overdue. I suppose it will show up when someone looks at a Carfax report that my truck wasn't maintained properly! View attachment 127692
Who reports oil changes to Carfax? I do all my own oil changes. I do 5k mile oil changes just because of how aggressively I drive my truck, I causing trios to drag strip.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I have been changing oil when the indicator says 5%. But that is usually around 7500 miles. That seems extremely low with today’s synthetic oils. Always changed my tundra with 10000 miles no indicator. Kept for 10 yrs 160,000 miles and was never in the shop one time. Just curious what everyone else thinks.
With the Hemi engines it's better to change the oil early than late . I was watching a video from a Ram tech that said the number one reason why the Hemi develops the Hemi tick ( lifters ) is going too long between oil changes . If you idle a fair amount or your in traffic a fair amount we should be going by engine hours and not mileage . The oil % in the truck takes all that into consideration I believe . If I'm wrong someone will let me know .

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Who reports oil changes to Carfax? I do all my own oil changes. I do 5k mile oil changes just because of how aggressively I drive my truck, I causing trios to drag strip.
I'm not reporting it. It automatically becomes part of the trucks "record" when an oil change is tagged to a vehicles VIN. It's apparently just like a service visit to a dealer or if the vehicle is wrecked. Big Carfax is watching you LOL.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I change mine every six months. Maybe a little overkill given that I only drive about 7000 miles a year. I don’t drive it hard, but I live in Canada, on a dirt road, with a 6 mile commute each way.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not reporting it. It automatically becomes part of the trucks "record" when an oil change is tagged to a vehicles VIN. It's apparently just like a service visit to a dealer or if the vehicle is wrecked. Big Carfax is watching you LOL.
Not watching me, like I said, I change my own oil. And there is no way Carfax would j ow if zim overdue or not

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every 5000 miles for me.. mostly city driving and I don’t drive it hard. But I want to keep this truck a long time, so…. figured the earlier and more often I change it the better.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the supplies at 4,000 so that I'll get around to changing it at 5,000 :LOL: . Last time the oil meter said 50% when I changed it. I'm probably wasting time and money changing it that often, but it helps me sleep at night. I've also rotated the tires every oil change too.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Those same engineers put the oil filter where it is too ;)
Back in 2003 when the 5.7 was released, it was a pretty good location. That said, I think all oil filters should be mounted on top of the engine like this Subaru I detailed before I sold it.
20220406_172048.jpg

I change my oil at about 5,000 miles because that's how many miles I put on my truck per year. I'd probably go to 7-8,000 miles of I drove more.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back in 2003 when the 5.7 was released, it was a pretty good location. That said, I think all oil filters should be mounted on top of the engine like this Subaru I detailed before I sold it.
View attachment 127740

I change my oil at about 5,000 miles because that's how many miles I put on my truck per year. I'd probably go to 7-8,000 miles of I drove more.
That's the way my parent's subaru is. I'm extremely envious watching my dad change his oil ha.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That's the way my parent's subaru is. I'm extremely envious watching my dad change his oil ha.
My wife's Porsche is the same, but they more than made up for it with the aerodynamic panels on the bottom of the car. To drain the oil, you have to remove 15 bolts and 4-5 plastic fasteners to remove the panel. Then it has a one time use, plastic 1/4 turn drain plug. Screw that...I bought a Mityvac 2.3 gallon oil extractor. :confused:

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Volvo is similar, but uses a cartridge filter(think oil filter without the metal can around it). It still makes a little mess you need brake cleaner to clean up when done.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife's Porsche is the same, but they more that made up for it with the aerodynamic panels on the bottom of the car. To drain the oil, you have to remove 15 bolts and 4-5 plastic fasteners to remove the panel. Then it has a one time use, plastic 1/4 turn drain plug. Screw that...I bought a Mityvac 2.3 gallon oil extractor. :confused:
The thought process on some of these vehicles baffle me. The first time I did the wife's Mazda cx-5 I opened the plastic trap door on the belly pan (opens forward) just to see the oil plug that faces rearward :mad:. You have to hold a funnel in the trap door to redirect the oil. All they had to do was place the trap door rearward :LOL:

Cajun_

Reaction score
you can add the records yourself to carfax if you think it matters in terms of value.

Users who are viewing this thread