5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often have you used your extended (or standard ) warranty?

chuck01835

Reaction score
There are great threads here on purchasing extended warranty such as the one in the link below, but I'm also interested in how often they are used and for what.

For gen 5 owners , how often did you use your standard warranty and for what. How was your experience?

Since most gen5s are too new to enter the extended warranty period, for those who have owned a previous generation with extended warranty, i ask the same question.

Thread 'Get the Best Price on a Factory Extended Warranty' :

Thanks Chuck

bskubon

Reaction score
Following, interested as well. I’m only at year one of the 3/36, I’ll never hit the 36k miles in the three years, so I’m interested in extending my warranty.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t used the warranty on this Rebel yet but on my 2016 I used it twice for the air ride , 2 compressors and 1 check valve . it would have cost me over 7k Canadian without the warranty.

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
I am using the warranty on my 2020 Ram 1500 BTS heavily unfortunately. (8k miles on this thing) I purchased an extended warranty until 75k.

I have used it for:
  • Driver front and rear door aligned and repainted (driver door was misaligned and impacted the rear door, chipping paint) (early signs were mis matched body lines)
  • Frame Rust (AC Drain drips on frame rail, passenger side engine bay, anyone reading should check theirs as well)
  • Intermittent Back Up Camera Issues (black screen)
  • Sunroof Leak (where both panels of the dual panel meet)
  • Uconnect Issues (WIFI)
  • Wheels rebalanced (all four have a lot of balancing weights from factory, actively looking into this )
  • Vibration at highway speed.
  • Rambox misalignment.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just used my ESP for the first time a couple of weeks ago (I'm at 40K miles). I have the 7 years / unlimited miles / $100 deductible Mopar Max Care ESP.

The only differences:

1. No loaner when you drop it off (my dealership provided a loaner when I dropped my truck off under the basic warranty). Now I don't get a loaner until they approve the repair and have the parts on hand (unless it's a safety issue and the truck is undriveable).

2. I pay my deductible ($100) for each visit regardless if they fix something or not. The deductible is paid per visit and not per item/complaint. I had them look at 4 issues which would have been more than that for just the diagnosis.

If it's covered by the ESP they will repair it and bill Stellantis. If it's not it is up to you to decide if you want to have them do the repair on your dime.

I made 8 visits for warranty work in the first 36K miles so an ESP was a no-brainer for me. I knew that I was going to make a few trips with the first year of a new generation.

I'm awaiting parts now and will take it back in when they arrive (no extra $100 since it's off the original work order/invoice). When this repair is complete the truck is pretty much as good as it's going to get (can't get the dealership to fix my A/C). After this, though, I only plan to take it in for something that breaks/fails instead of concerns like I have in the past.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still on 3 year warranty for my 2019 Rebel and have used it a couple times. I do have the 5 year warranty. On my 2014 Outdoorsman I used the extended warranty quite a few times for the air suspension. When it got really cold here the air suspension would fail.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
I am using the warranty on my 2020 Ram 1500 BTS heavily unfortunately. (8k miles on this thing) I purchased an extended warranty until 75k.

I have used it for:
  • Driver front and rear door aligned and repainted (driver door was misaligned and impacted the rear door, chipping paint) (early signs were mis matched body lines)
  • Frame Rust (AC Drain drips on frame rail, passenger side engine bay, anyone reading should check theirs as well)
  • Intermittent Back Up Camera Issues (black screen)
  • Sunroof Leak (where both panels of the dual panel meet)
  • Uconnect Issues (WIFI)
  • Wheels rebalanced (all four have a lot of balancing weights from factory, actively looking into this )
  • Vibration at highway speed.
  • Rambox misalignment.
What did they do about the misaligned ram box?? Mine seems to be off a little bit.. and also can you take a picture of the locations for

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still covered under the 3/36 and used it once. My driver side Rambox was opening on it's own due to water intrusion. Local dealer repaired as per the star report and it seems to have done the trick. No more issues with it opening on it's own.

We did buy a 72 month/100,000 mile extended warranty with a disappearing $100 deductible ($0 deductible if work done at selling dealership). I hope I wasted my money. 🙃

chuck01835

Reaction score
Here's my thought process. I've ordered a 2021 limited, and with all of the fancy gadgets and electronics and such, I thought it may be worth it to cover the vehicle with MaxCare at least until the loan is paid off ( 6 years ).

Trying to get a feel for how much its worth and what things actually fail. Maybe a poll would be in order.

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
What did they do about the misaligned ram box?? Mine seems to be off a little bit.. and also can you take a picture of the locations for

I drop it off next week for the list of issues. I expect there is nothing that can be done for ram boxes.
here is the picture. You can see the passenger side cat converter for reference. Top down picture.

Attachments

• 20201023_134657.jpg
    20201023_134657.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 106

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Still under 3/36 until June, at which point my MaxCare 6/60 will kick in.
Used the 3/36 over a dozen times already, so the extended warranty was a no-brainer.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck 2 1/2 years and haven't used the warranty for anything. I do have a vibration rumble that I hear at 60 MPH but I suspect it's an out of balance tire/wheel as my Miata gets the same kind of rumble if you don't roadforce the wheels. So I plan on using it for that but I haven't got around to it yet because it just doesn't really bother me that much I guess.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
I drop it off next week for the list of issues. I expect there is nothing that can be done for ram boxes.
here is the picture. You can see the passenger side cat converter for reference. Top down picture.
Thanks I’ll take a look at my truck

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I had the lifetime max car on my 2009 ram. Sold it last December with 149k miles. Only reason was to gain the new technology for safety and Iswitch to 4wd now that I live in the country. That said under the lifetime warranty they replaced (1) fuel tank due to fueling issues, (2) ac compressor and condenser (3) hvac switch relay-exact part no longer was available (4) stock radio two times (4) manifold exhaust bolts which broke. I knew I would always buy another extended warranty given how much i Used this one. Just wish the lifetime had not gone away. If I was only keeping the truck for 3 yrs or less, I would not buy one. But I tend to keep my vehicles for about 10 yrs. the ac compressor and condenser repair paid for the cost of the warranty in that one repair and it is not unusual for ac to go out at 8 to 10 years.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the lifetime ESP was discontinued for that very reason...all the repairs.

Sure Stellantis can still make money by raising the cost of the truck but why do that when you get people to buy a term policy. That will also bring back some customers that won't own the truck past that policy so will buy another one sooner.

Just my .02

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I think the lifetime ESP was discontinued for that very reason...all the repairs.

Sure Stellantis can still make money by raising the cost of the truck but why do that when you get people to buy a term policy. That will also bring back some customers that won't own the truck past that policy so will buy another one sooner.

Just my .02
Agree.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm ... I'm currently thinking about this. I've never bought extended warranty for any of my previous vehicles. I still have my 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse(20yrs) and 2012 Nissan Pathfinder(9yrs). I've never needed any warranty work done.

Currently, my RAM is the weekend truck. I drive my Eclipse for work and my wife uses the Pathfinder for work everyday.

My close friend has a 2014 RAM 1500 with the Unlimited Extended Warranty and he has used it a few times already. Do I really need an extended warranty? From all these responses, I'm thinking I do because of unreliability of this brand.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do I really need an extended warranty? From all these responses, I'm thinking I do because of unreliability of this brand.
It's a personal choice. You are basically buying an insurance policy for repairs.

This is my first ESP that I've ever purchased. My last truck was a 2003 Ford so was mostly mechanical (only 3 computers) and I was able to fix everything myself for the 11+ years I had it.

This is my first new vehicle and the most technology-packed one I've ever had. Lots of computers, programming, VIN-matching, and expensive electrical/electronic stuff that can go wrong.

I don't get vehicles often so I plan to keep this one at least 10 years (200K miles) so, for me, it was worth it. YMMV.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a personal choice. You are basically buying an insurance policy for repairs.

This is my first ESP that I've ever purchased. My last truck was a 2003 Ford so was mostly mechanical (only 3 computers) and I was able to fix everything myself for the 11+ years I had it.

This is my first new vehicle and the most technology-packed one I've ever had. Lots of computers, programming, VIN-matching, and expensive electrical/electronic stuff that can go wrong.

I don't get vehicles often so I plan to keep this one at least 10 years (200K miles) so, for me, it was worth it. YMMV.
As you can see I do keep my vehicles. I bought my Eclipse and Pathfinders brand new. I buy a new one about every 10yrs or so.

I've bought 2 used cars before, and neither of them lasted me more than 3 years. When they start breaking down, I get rid of them on the 3rd time they break down.

Users who are viewing this thread