5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often have you used your extended (or standard ) warranty?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't keep my rams for very long so have never considered an extended warranty. However, the part that I have thought about is my complete lack of confidence in my local dealers service departments. I would only take my truck to any of them as a last resort (as in a very complicated/costly job that would be covered under warranty that otherwise would cost me a lot out of pocket) and of course then every minute it was there I'd be nervous about what they were doing. I know not all service departments are like this but all 3 of mine haven't left me with many positives the few times I have had warranty work done, so maybe just something to consider.

Now if I could take the truck to my cousins shop (someone I have complete faith and confidence in to do the job in a timely and correct manner) to have the warranty work done, that would make me strongly consider it (if I were planning to keep the truck for longer of course).

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a '17 Honda Pilot that I bought the 8/120k warranty for (for ~$800, can't remember exact price). It's paid for itself 5-6x over since the factory bumper to bumper warranty ran out, and the car only has about 60k miles on it.

I bought my 8/100k ($200 ded) MOPAR extended warranty for $1675, and while I HOPE I won't need it...lets be real any minor repair at a dealer while out of warranty will cost more than that. It's cheap insurance I am glad to pay on a modern vehicle.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. The extended warranty from Ziegler, starts from the day you bought your vehicle new and starts when you buy the policy. It doesn't start when the regular factory warranty runs out. For example, I just bought my RAM a month ago with 1,400ish miles. I'm still under the 3yr/36,000miles warranty. If I buy the MOPAR 8yr/125kmiles, it actually starts from when I bought my RAM. So in actuality, I'm only covered for 8 years, and not 3 years + 8 years.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't keep my rams for very long so have never considered an extended warranty. However, the part that I have thought about is my complete lack of confidence in my local dealers service departments. I would only take my truck to any of them as a last resort (as in a very complicated/costly job that would be covered under warranty that otherwise would cost me a lot out of pocket) and of course then every minute it was there I'd be nervous about what they were doing. I know not all service departments are like this but all 3 of mine haven't left me with many positives the few times I have had warranty work done, so maybe just something to consider.

Now if I could take the truck to my cousins shop (someone I have complete faith and confidence in to do the job in a timely and correct manner) to have the warranty work done, that would make me strongly consider it (if I were planning to keep the truck for longer of course).

Took the words right out of my mouth.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. The extended warranty from Ziegler, starts from the day you bought your vehicle new and starts when you buy the policy. It doesn't start when the regular factory warranty runs out. For example, I just bought my RAM a month ago with 1,400ish miles. I'm still under the 3yr/36,000miles warranty. If I buy the MOPAR 8yr/125kmiles, it actually starts from when I bought my RAM. So in actuality, I'm only covered for 8 years, and not 3 years + 8 years.
You are correct.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, if you buy before your basic warranty expires then the policy starts from the day truck was first bought (whether it was you or someone before you).

It is in effect from the day the truck drove off the lot. Any other warranty in effect will come first (basic and powertrain) so there's varying overlap depending on what policy you purchase.

The Max Care ESP is noticeably cheaper for a new truck (within 3 years/36K miles of in-service date) than a used truck, plus there are fewer policy options for the used ESP.

Yes you overlap but you save money in the long run. I bought my ESP almost 2 years ago so I will use the current Zeigler quotes to give a comparison.

- New truck ESP for 7 years | unlimited miles | $100 deductible - $3640
- Used truck ESP for 4 years | unlimited miles | $100 deductible - $4725

If I bought the used policy the day after my 3 years was up they would basically end at the same time but the used policy costs me almost $1100 more.

I drive 20K miles a year (or more) so my basic warranty ended earlier this year (at my 2 year point) and I will "age out" of my powertrain warranty next spring. I've already used my ESP and I've still got almost 5 years to go before it expires.

Yes the new ESP overlaps factory warranties, which is a sticking point for many. If you crunch the numbers, though, you'll see that you still come out ahead in the long run if you get a new ESP instead of waiting until your warranties run out and getting a used ESP.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Reverse

Reaction score
I do abt. 35,000 miles/year. I have used the extended warranty on 2 of my 4 FCA vehicles (all hemis - 3 trucks, 1 Challenger).

My 2014 Ram CC was the worst so far:
- defective driver-side mirror - would have been almost $1000 I believe (power, heated, self-dimming, puddle light, etc)
- lifter failure at 100,000 miles - would have cost close to $5,000 (new lifters and cams)

For me, peace of mind is the main motivation. Financially I have broken even so far, and the 2020 Limited I'm sure will have some repairs somewhere down the road.

The only vehicle where I regretted getting extended warranty was my 2007 BMW motorcycle. It's 13 years old with 65,000 miles now and not even one repair.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm ... I'm currently thinking about this. I've never bought extended warranty for any of my previous vehicles. I still have my 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse(20yrs) and 2012 Nissan Pathfinder(9yrs). I've never needed any warranty work done.

Currently, my RAM is the weekend truck. I drive my Eclipse for work and my wife uses the Pathfinder for work everyday.

My close friend has a 2014 RAM 1500 with the Unlimited Extended Warranty and he has used it a few times already. Do I really need an extended warranty? From all these responses, I'm thinking I do because of unreliability of this brand.
Bro, are you me from the future?
I just (hesitantly and sadly) traded in my 2005 eclipse (bought in 2006 with 9k miles) for the new Ram, and my wife drives her 2015 pathfinder we bought new. What car am I getting next?? Lol

834k3r

Reaction score
I haven't used my warranty yet, but when I have about 2 months or 500 miles left on the original, I will take it in and complain about hearing knocking. I will have them take a look at the manifold bolts we're all familiar with. :cool:

U

User_3336

Almost ALL extended warranties are from "in-service date". The day it was sold new.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bro, are you me from the future?
I just (hesitantly and sadly) traded in my 2005 eclipse (bought in 2006 with 9k miles) for the new Ram, and my wife drives her 2015 pathfinder we bought new. What car am I getting next?? Lol
I'm liking the new upcoming F150 Lightning EV truck :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Were you ever on Club3G forums?
Just curious, how much did you get for the Eclipse? :ROFLMAO: My 2001 currently has 86k miles. I will probably drive it to the ground.

Last edited:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, if you buy before your basic warranty expires then the policy starts from the day truck was first bought (whether it was you or someone before you).

It is in effect from the day the truck drove off the lot. Any other warranty in effect will come first (basic and powertrain) so there's varying overlap depending on what policy you purchase.

The Max Care ESP is noticeably cheaper for a new truck (with 3 years/36K miles of in-service date) than a used truck, plus there are fewer policy options for the used ESP.

Yes you overlap but you save money in the long run. I bought my ESP almost 2 years ago so I will use the current Zeigler quotes to give a comparison.

- New truck ESP for 7 years | unlimited miles | $100 deductible - $3640
- Used truck ESP for 4 years | unlimited miles | $100 deductible - $4725

If I bought the used policy the day after my 3 years was up they would basically end at the same time but the used policy costs me almost $1100 more.

I drive 20K miles a year (or more) so my basic warranty ended earlier this year (at my 2 year point) and I will "age out" of my powertrain warranty next spring. I've already used my ESP and I've still got almost 5 years to go before it expires.

Yes the new ESP overlaps factory warranties, which is a sticking point for many. If you crunch the numbers, though, you'll see that you still come out ahead in the long run if you get a new ESP instead of waiting until your warranties run out and getting a used ESP.

Just my .02
Thanks for the very informative information. It will greatly justify my decision to get the ESP. Thank you :cool:(y)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost ALL extended warranties are from "in-service date". The day it was sold new.
Since the 5th gen is still relatively new most of the threads are referring to people buying a factory ESP for their brand new truck. This falls under the new ESP and starts at in-service date. FCA will always allow you to give them money so they offer used ESPs which you can purchase after your basic warranty expires.

To clarify:

- If you buy a "new" Max Care ESP then it starts from the day you bought the truck.

- If you buy a "used" Max Care ESP then the it starts from the day you purchased the policy.

If you are buying the policy and the truck is under 3 years old and has less than 36K miles then you are buying a new ESP, otherwise you are buying a used ESP. You don't get the option.

As I mentioned above (post #26), the longer you wait the more expensive it gets. The "cheapest" option is to buy within the first 12K miles. After that there's a price bump at 12K miles, 24K miles, and finally the higher price of the used ESP if you choose to get one down the road.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crapola! I just remembered that I'm leasing this truck! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Since this is the first time ever I've leased a vehicle, instead of financing. Any opinions on now getting the ESP on a lease? Since Brian42 said that there's going to be a significant bump in price after 12k miles, maybe I can decide before then if I'm going to keep the truck and finance it at lease end.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm liking the new upcoming F150 Lightning EV truck :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Were you ever on Club3G forums?
Just curious, how much did you get for the Eclipse? :ROFLMAO: My 2001 currently has 86k miles. I will probably drive it to the ground.
Nope. This is my first forum. But dang I thought I had low miles on my ‘05 with 124,000. They gave me $2k for it. Not great but better than anywhere else. I would have been fine keeping it; it was a great car, very little problems, but the wife said we didn’t need a two door car with two kids and I wouldn’t get more for it later on

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. This is my first forum. But dang I thought I had low miles on my ‘05 with 124,000. They gave me $2k for it. Not great but better than anywhere else. I would have been fine keeping it; it was a great car, very little problems, but the wife said we didn’t need a two door car with two kids and I wouldn’t get more for it later on
I work 3miles away, but it's all hard stop-n-go city mileage. Before the pandemic, it use to take me 20-40mins to drive that 3miles. $2k is a lot more than I expected. Smart woman you got there (y) We don't have kids that's why I got to keep mine.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I work 3miles away, but it's all hard stop-n-go city mileage. Before the pandemic, it use to take me 20-40mins to drive that 3miles. $2k is a lot more than I expected. Smart woman you got there (y) We don't have kids that's why I got to keep mine.
Yeah I’m almost the same. About 7 miles for me and it’s all city. Wish I had more highway to enjoy more ride time in the new truck and get better mpg. Takes about 15 minutes for me.

chuck01835

Reaction score
Coming up on a year and need to decide.

I may start two polls:
What subsystems ( if any ) were problematic, and also what to people pay for repairs.

Anyone else have any input as to what goes bad in our trucks over time? And the cost to fix it?

Definitely trying to determine whether to extend my warranty by 4 more years for $1100 @200 deductible, or put the $$ in the bank instead.

Hoping that members anecdotes will help my decision!

Thanks
Chuck

U

User_3336

Coming up on a year and need to decide.

I may start two polls:
What subsystems ( if any ) were problematic, and also what to people pay for repairs.

Anyone else have any input as to what goes bad in our trucks over time? And the cost to fix it?

Definitely trying to determine whether to extend my warranty by 4 more years for $1100 @200 deductible, or put the $$ in the bank instead.

Hoping that members anecdotes will help my decision!

Thanks
Chuck
If you had to make ONE repair in the next four years that totalled over $1100, then the extended warranty would be worth it. Its just insurance and peace of mind.

Who online are you looking at coverage thru?

Users who are viewing this thread