5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Many Windshields Have You Gone Through?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
went through one in the 70's...head on with collision with a 442
I went through one on a 20. Overlap with a Honda. She was going so fast, it lifted the Ram turning it sideways, blowing both front tires, and rolling down windows, and folding mirrors. You can see where my face bulged the windshield, even though I was wearing my seatbelt, and the airbags deployed. I guess I didn't click save the first time I added the picture. $40,000 damage.

Attachments

• Running boards.jpg
    Running boards.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

L a r r y

Reaction score
I'm going to see how long I can hold off on this one. It has started to creep from the top, but only has about a 3 inch crack in it now. These damn things are too fragile

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm going to see how long I can hold off on this one. It has started to creep from the top, but only has about a 3 inch crack in it now. These damn things are too fragile

Just FYI, mine got a rock chip in it and started to crack at the end of April. I filed a claim and started a repair process with Safelite the next week in May. It took safelite until the end of August to get a windshield so, keep The time delay in mind

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
3" long is still in "fixable" parameters. So you can have Safelite or someone come out to repair it and it will not crack any further and should hide most of the crack as well

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a small chip in the middle of my windshield. Damn thing was like a boulder!! So pissed...I was boxed in and could see this mess of a construction truck. I tried to hang back but can only go so slow on the expressway. Grrrrrrr!! I go in for detail on Monday I'm hoping he has a repair kit and can take care of it!

St-na

Reaction score
Reading a post on Facebook, smb is claiming Safelite because of the problem to calibrate a camera. All others are recommending OEM windshield only. What is the price for the windshield with camera system?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that's a new one... I never knew wearing a seatbelt prevents things from hitting your windshield.
Does putting your sun visor down when parked prevent hailstorms from denting the top of your truck too?

Gone through....could be interpreted as your body has physically impacted and broke through the windshield.

6of36

Reaction score
0. I wear my seatbelt,
The post was about broken windshields, until Oldmarine and I added our comments detracting from the real purpose of the thread. But before it gets back on track, to let you know, the seat belt won't prevent you from hitting the windshield. If you look at my previous post, I hit the windshield while wearing my seat belt, with the air bags. They just reduce the injury.

slatersan

Reaction score
Well that's a new one... I never knew wearing a seatbelt prevents things from hitting your windshield.
Does putting your sun visor down when parked prevent hailstorms from denting the top of your truck too?

The post was about broken windshields, until Oldmarine and I added our comments detracting from the real purpose of the thread. But before it gets back on track, to let you know, the seat belt won't prevent you from hitting the windshield. If you look at my previous post, I hit the windshield while wearing my seat belt, with the air bags. They just reduce the injury.

The post is literally titled " How many windshields have you gone through?" I've personally gone through 0, because I wear my seatbelt, which prevents me from flying through any windshield, let alone many.

Keep up, boys.

Insanity

Reaction score
Had my windshield crack in my old jeep cherokee. Then today had a rock do this to the bulk truck I drive.

Attachments

• 20230427_121954.jpg
    20230427_121954.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 14

Raydar

Reaction score
Just got mine replaced (1st one) this past Thursday. Collected a rock chip, under my passenger side wiper. Crack ran about a foot, in three weeks.
In Ga, your comprehensive/deductible applies to glass breakage, too. The deductible wouldn't have saved me much, and I didn't want a claim, so I paid out of pocket.
I don't have any cameras or other electronics, so that helped. $420 for aftermarket, at their shop. The Ram logo cost several hundred dollars more, so I "just said no".
The last windshield I had replaced was in 2006, or so, in a Fiero. Cost me ~$200.
For all you "out of pocket" guys, what did you pay? (Pretty sure they stick it to insurance companies.)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got mine replaced (1st one) this past Thursday. Collected a rock chip, under my passenger side wiper. Crack ran about a foot, in three weeks.
In Ga, your comprehensive/deductible applies to glass breakage, too. The deductible wouldn't have saved me much, and I didn't want a claim, so I paid out of pocket.
I don't have any cameras or other electronics, so that helped. $420 for aftermarket, at their shop. The Ram logo cost several hundred dollars more, so I "just said no".
The last windshield I had replaced was in 2006, or so, in a Fiero. Cost me ~$200.
For all you "out of pocket" guys, what did you pay? (Pretty sure they stick it to insurance companies.)
Comprehensive claims don't hurt you on premiums, unless you are making multiple claims in a short period of time.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what electronics are in the windshield?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
what electronics are in the windshield?
He didn't say there were any in the windshield.
Cameras and other things require special mounts to be on the replacement windshield and HUD requires a certain glass.
I wonder what brand the aftermarket was. I'm curious if it was an OEM brand for that price. Vitro makes our OEM glass, and they can be purchased as an "after market" glass.

ramhead

Reaction score
Had mine replaced last year by Safelite....lucky for me they used OEM/Mopar branded windshield - I saw the price on that was something like $850 (standard windshield...none of the HUD/special stuff). Had a $100 comp. deductible so that was all I paid (plus tipped the tech $20 BEFORE he did the work hoping he'd do a decent job - he did).

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
UPDATE: So....just after me posting about my "last year" windshield replacement (post right above) guess what happened exactly 1 week later?? (must be something to this "jinx" thing). Yep....was driving on a highway, heard a slight ping off the windshield (didn't see anything) - next morning I get in the truck and see a crack about midway up the windshield on the driver's side pillar edge. Was about 3 inches then the next day was over 6 inches spreading horizontally on a slight incline - of course, right in my eyeline. Having it replaced tomorrow...insurance company checked & said it would be an OEM replacement but I'm not so sure that's a good thing. There's no way these windshields are as durable as older ones. The glass must be a much cheaper formulation (probably on all newer vehs. not just RAM). Had my 2003 Ram for 16 years and never had a windshield crack...and I drove that much more on the highway!

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
UPDATE: So....just after me posting about my "last year" windshield replacement (post right above) guess what happened exactly 1 week later?? (must be something to this "jinx" thing). Yep....was driving on a highway, heard a slight ping off the windshield (didn't see anything) - next morning I get in the truck and see a crack about midway up the windshield on the driver's side pillar edge. Was about 3 inches then the next day was over 6 inches spreading horizontally on a slight incline - of course, right in my eyeline. Having it replaced tomorrow...insurance company checked & said it would be an OEM replacement but I'm not so sure that's a good thing. There's no way these windshields are as durable as older ones. The glass must be a much cheaper formulation (probably on all newer vehs. not just RAM). Had my 2003 Ram for 16 years and never had a windshield crack...and I drove that much more on the highway!
The aerodynamics has changed in those 16 years. The airflow used to carry small rocks up over the windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread