5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Many Windshields Have You Gone Through?

ramhead

Reaction score
The aerodynamics has changed in those 16 years. The airflow used to carry small rocks up over the windshield.
I saw you mentioned that above...but...on the newer style Rams the windshield seems to have even more of a slant/aerodynamic styling and better airflow. Are you saying that older Rams had better aerodynamics/airflow?? You'd think it would be the opposite, no?

Anyway, new windshield went in without a hitch - tech did a great job. They gave me a 2 hour estimate but he was done in less than 1 hour. Another OEM windshield (list price on receipt was $987..whew!) - we'll see if this one has any longevity. 🤞

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I saw you mentioned that above...but...on the newer style Rams the windshield seems to have even more of a slant/aerodynamic styling and better airflow. Are you saying that older Rams had better aerodynamics/airflow?? You'd think it would be the opposite, no?

Anyway, new windshield went in without a hitch - tech did a great job. They gave me a 2 hour estimate but he was done in less than 1 hour. Another OEM windshield (list price on receipt was $987..whew!) - we'll see if this one has any longevity. 🤞
No, the older ones were less aerodynamic. They had turbulent airflow, that would blow up, carrying small stones above the windshield. The newer vehicles, the airflow doesn't blow up, it follows the body.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, the older ones were less aerodynamic. They had turbulent airflow, that would blow up, carrying small stones above the windshield. The newer vehicles, the airflow doesn't blow up, it follows the body.
That's kind of counter intuitive thinking. There's a reason you see the bug deflectors more often on older trucks. If bugs are hitting the windshields, rocks will go right through that airflow.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dunno what it is but something is different...truck was less than a month old and BAM took a good sized rock right in the middle of the wondshield. I can count on less than one hand how many times that has happened in my years of driving and here we are 2 RAMS and 2 took rocks to the windshield

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno what it is but something is different...truck was less than a month old and BAM took a good sized rock right in the middle of the wondshield. I can count on less than one hand how many times that has happened in my years of driving and here we are 2 RAMS and 2 took rocks to the windshield
I swore for the first three years I had it, my work van was a rock magnet. Didn't even have it tmsix months and had three rock chips in it. Had windshield replaced in les than a year, and not even two weeks later had two more chips. This time I just let it go, and got two more chips in the next year. Had windshield replaced again about 5 months ago, and zero chips so far.

My wife's 2020 Traverse took a huge rock chip not even a month after we got it. Got the chip/,crack repaired. Has had one more chip sine then. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

I have had three chips in my Ram in 35k miles. Still factory windshield. It's getting removed to have sunroof replaced, so will see if it survives or will have to be replaced. Will suck if they break it and have to replace it. Then I will have to pay to get it tinted again

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove my 98 Trans AM for 20 yrs with original windshield with no issues. I replaced my RAM in 2nd year from a decent chip they said couldn't be repaired. I went with the Ram logo. So 1 in 3 yrs.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ‘22 has had 3 windshields so far.
I refuse to replace mine right now. I'll have to pay to have it tinted again and I am sure it will never be the same....my luck I'll end up with wind noise or my ANC won't work.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I refuse to replace mine right now. I'll have to pay to have it tinted again and I am sure it will never be the same....my luck I'll end up with wind noise or my ANC won't work.
Not sure how replacing the windshield would effect the ANC

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, did tint also. Insurance wouldnt help. Also, technically it was 4 windshields but I don’t count that one since it was aftermarket and was removed after 3 weeks (no tint installed on it either).

6of36

Reaction score
That's kind of counter intuitive thinking. There's a reason you see the bug deflectors more often on older trucks. If bugs are hitting the windshields, rocks will go right through that airflow.
The purpose of the bug deflectors, is to change the aerodynamics. More bugs are hitting the windshield now, than older vehicles too. The airflow is not going to effect larger rocks, but some of the smaller ones that hit now, would have flown over on a less aerodynamic vehicle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The purpose of the bug deflectors, is to change the aerodynamics. More bugs are hitting the windshield now, than older vehicles too. The airflow is not going to effect larger rocks, but some of the smaller ones that hit now, would have flown over on a less aerodynamic vehicle.
That doesn't even make sense. The bug deflectors disrupt the airflow decreasing aero. If anything a more aerodynamic vehicle will have higher airflow speed in the air boundary over the vehicle helping direct things over the vehicle. My work van has horrible aerodynamics, and it's gotten more rock chips in the last three years than both my Ram and my wife's 2020 Traverse combined. And we've put more total miles on the RAM and Traverse than my work van.

6of36

Reaction score
That doesn't even make sense. The bug deflectors disrupt the airflow decreasing aero. If anything a more aerodynamic vehicle will have higher airflow speed in the air boundary over the vehicle helping direct things over the vehicle. My work van has horrible aerodynamics, and it's gotten more rock chips in the last three years than both my Ram and my wife's 2020 Traverse combined. And we've put more total miles on the RAM and Traverse than my work van.
A van doesn't have the front end length to deflect the air. You can believe what you want, but the less aerodynamic vehicle, the more turbulence that will blow light rocks up and over the vehicle. When it is more aerodynamic, the air flows closer to the windshield, and doesn't lift rocks or bugs. It's the way early Trans Ams had the hood scoop backwards. There was a high pressure area at the base of the windshield. It pushes out in all directions. With the more aerodynamic vehicles, that pressure is way less.

ramhead

Reaction score
Not sure how replacing the windshield would effect the ANC
Unless the ANC somehow works in some way with an "acoustical glass" windshield - which I believe the OEM windshields are so made.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless the ANC somehow works in some way with an "acoustical glass" windshield - which I believe the OEM windshields are so made.
That would suck if it was that sensitive.

6of36

Reaction score
I think only the upper trims have the acoustical glass. At least it used to be.

Insanity

Reaction score
I think only the upper trims have the acoustical glass. At least it used to be.
The windshield and front windows on my bighorn are acustic. It was really hard to get a good picture.

Attachments

• 20230514_105029.jpg
    20230514_105029.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 6

6of36

Reaction score
The windshield and front windows on my bighorn are acustic. It was really hard to get a good picture.
I guess I was right when I said used to. It makes more sense not to have multiple kinds.

Insanity

Reaction score
I see 3 options here. Maybe they did decide to put it on lesser trim levels? Maybe it was put it on and ship vs wait for the lesser glass?

I dunno but I'll take it and not complain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230514_110611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_110611_Chrome.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread