5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Many Windshields Have You Gone Through?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see 3 options here. Maybe they did decide to put it on lesser trim levels? Maybe it was put it on and ship vs wait for the lesser glass?

I dunno but I'll take it and not complain.
Those have more to do with different options, such as rain sensing wipers and HUD, than being acoustic glass

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I see 3 options here. Maybe they did decide to put it on lesser trim levels? Maybe it was put it on and ship vs wait for the lesser glass?

I dunno but I'll take it and not complain.
What insane prices. While working construction, I worked in Chrysler's Detroit glass plant. They had signs at each station, telling how much each scrap piece cost, at that point, letting the line workers know, expecting them to avoid scrap. I forget the exact number, but before laminating the two layers together, the cost was less than $10, and I really think it was closer to 5. I have no clue what the vinyl costs, that is sandwiched i between, but I'm sure it isn't that much. Of course the shipping would add a lot, but the material is unbelievably cheap. Funny story. While working next to it, I accidentally bumped one of the emergency stop buttons on the forming line. The straight glass, goes through the furnace, on a fixture, that when it is heated to a controlled temperature, for a controlled time, the glass sags in to the fixture, making it the correct shape. I instantly ran to tell a forman, that I was the one who accidentally bumped the button, and it was not an emergency situation, to restart the line. As I recall, the two minute pause, caused 37 windshields to be scrapped.

Insanity

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread