5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Many Windshields Have You Gone Through?

Quint

Reaction score
I had a crack spread this winter so got a non-cost insurance replacement. I have no issues with it yet.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why I've been avoiding getting mine replaced. If the 2nd chip spreads any, it will have to be done.

Happened the first summer, maybe 6 months in.

Used to be around here (CO) it was an annual event due to the spreading of "sand" during inclement weather.

Also sucks I just got RAM to replace the side moldings on the windshield that were warped from the factory. Can't imagine those are going to survive a replacement.

When mine was replaced the idiot broke a plastic clip on one of them. I got them both replaced.
If I needed to pay out of pocket they are only $10-15 per side luckily.

Ulster

Reaction score
None yet on the RAM, but holy crap I go thru at least one per year on both of my Jeeps. But they have that signature upright windshield and I have to drive thru a narrow mountain canyon to/from my home and it always has rocks in the road that come down the canyon walls. It is only a matter of time for the RAM. But I have zero deductible windshield coverage. Every time I replace one in the Jeeps I keep waiting for the insurance company to cancel that portion of my policy :)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When mine was replaced the idiot broke a plastic clip on one of them. I got them both replaced.
If I needed to pay out of pocket they are only $10-15 per side luckily.

The last one I put in my 04 2500 before I sold it, they broke the cowling and had to replace it. Poor installer didn't make anything for that job.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
I replaced my first one with the OEM windshield and it cracked within 2 weeks. I them replaced that one with the non-OEM for $600 less and it has not broken in the last year and a half. The OEM is not worth the jacked up price.

RedFred

Reaction score
If you get a chip in the the windshield, you can use one of those windshield repair kits to fix it and prevent any further damage. I have picked up the Permatex kit for about $10-15 from auto parts stores. Works good and fills the chip and once it cures it helps keep any cracks from forming. I have had great luck with it and makes most chips look like they never happened.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you get a chip in the the windshield, you can use one of those windshield repair kits to fix it and prevent any further damage. I have picked up the Permatex kit for about $10-15 from auto parts stores. Works good and fills the chip and once it cures it helps keep any cracks from forming. I have had great luck with it and makes most chips look like they never happened.
Most insurance companies will pay for chip repairs at no cost to policy holder.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced my first one with the OEM windshield and it cracked within 2 weeks. I them replaced that one with the non-OEM for $600 less and it has not broken in the last year and a half. The OEM is not worth the jacked up price.
Was probably an installation error that caused the OEM one to crack.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What I have noticed with these windshields, and it may not be limited to Ram, is that when you get a chip or bullseye, get it fixed right away. For some reason bullseyes in these windshields turn to cracks and spread across the windshield in hours or days depending on outside temp. My chip wasn't noticeable at 1pm that day, by 4pm, it had turned into a 6" crack starting at the lower left corner and running up towards the rear view mirror. By the end of the next day, it had grown from the coroner to the mirror or about 24" long

6of36

Reaction score
What I have noticed with these windshields, and it may not be limited to Ram, is that when you get a chip or bullseye, get it fixed right away. For some reason bullseyes in these windshields turn to cracks and spread across the windshield in hours or days depending on outside temp. My chip wasn't noticeable at 1pm that day, by 4pm, it had turned into a 6" crack starting at the lower left corner and running up towards the rear view mirror. By the end of the next day, it had grown from the coroner to the mirror or about 24" long
It depends where the bullseye is. They tend to spread faster if they are near an edge. Once there is a small crack, weakening the integrity, any flex makes the cracks run.

BowDown

Reaction score
It depends where the bullseye is. They tend to spread faster if they are near an edge. Once there is a small crack, weakening the integrity, any flex makes the cracks run.

Mine ran without the truck moving, presumably the May sun heating up the windshield

RedFred

Reaction score
Good to know. I'm always wary of going through insurance for anything so I never looked into it.

Majortom

Reaction score
I’m on my original with only 1 repair. I have 6 repairs on my 2002 F150 and was told by Nationwide it has to be replaced should I get another. They claim too many chip/repairs hurts the integrity of the windshield.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What brand windshield did you end up getting?
Depends on the state and company. I would rather fix minor chips myself then have someone monkey around with my truck. I have some random Rainex repair kit that was like $10 years ago from Walmart that works fine.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
I am not sure what brand it is. I was given a choice of OEM with the Ram logo or aftermarket with no logo. It was a little over $200 and I can't tell the difference other than the logo. The OEM was close to $900.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
Was probably an installation error that caused the OEM one to crack.
Actually, a large rock hit it on the freeway near the top of the windshield on the I17. The guy told me that is a weak spot on these windshields. Who knows. The same guy replaced both of them. Seemed like he knew what he was doing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What brand windshield did you end up getting?

Depends on the state and company. I would rather fix minor chips myself then have someone monkey around with my truck. I have some random Rainex repair kit that was like $10 years ago from Walmart that works fine.
I'd say it depends on the company, not the state. It's cheaper for them to pay $30 to get it repaired than have a claim and pay the difference in price between deductible and actual cost. If for some reason your policy doesn't include windshield coverage, I'd ask about getting it added.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on the company, not the state. It's cheaper for them to pay $30 to get it repaired than have a claim and pay the difference in price between deductible and actual cost. If for some reason your policy doesn't include windshield coverage, I'd ask about getting it added.
I live in MA. It's a state law that all insurance companies provide 0$ deduceable glass coverage.
They always ask if they can patch it, but if you just outright tell them no they replace the thing no questions asked.

In a state where windshield coverage is optional they could possibly choose to increase your insurance the next year if you keep getting it repaired as those are all separate claims.
Obviously a good insurance company wouldn't do that but a lot just want to charge your more money like Geico or Progressive.

Users who are viewing this thread