5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Many Windshields Have You Gone Through?

L a r r y

Reaction score
So I am in my second year of my 2019 Laramie and within the first 3 months of owning it, I got a rock chip in my windshield. No big problem, I got it replaced with an OEM RAM LOGO replacement. Coming back from a trip this weekend, I hear that oh familiar sound of a rock hitting my windshield and 4 hours later, I see the crack has started to spread. What windshield are you cats using after a replacement? Do you go back with OEM or do you just find a replacement, and how has it held with rocks cracking them?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what brand of windshield it is, if it gets hit by a rock, it will crack. Todays vehicles are more aerodynamic, and don't have the airflow up over the vehicle to blow the rocks up and over like the old ones.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had probably 10 repairs on my windshield at Safelite, but I'm still on my original. I know if I replaced it would probably get nailed again within a month or two. I did recently see this film that looks interesting.

BowDown

Reaction score
I've had probably 10 repairs on my windshield at Safelite, but I'm still on my original. I know if I replaced it would probably get nailed again within a month or two. I did recently see this film that looks interesting.

I asked the shop that tinted my windshield about that after it was replaced due to a rock hit. They said they didn't recommend it on anything but exotics that didn't see a lot of road miles. They said that the same scuffs you get from PPF'ing your bumper, the windshield would also get so it would get beat up. They also said the rock chip protection that the film offered was minimal

John Galt

Reaction score
Still rockin my original one 4 years later. I got really good at putting other cars between me and the gravel trucks :)

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I asked the shop that tinted my windshield about that after it was replaced due to a rock hit. They said they didn't recommend it on anything but exotics that didn't see a lot of road miles. They said that the same scuffs you get from PPF'ing your bumper, the windshield would also get so it would get beat up. They also said the rock chip protection that the film offered was minimal
Good to know, thanks!

Dewey

Reaction score
I’m almost afraid to respond but my last 3 RAM’s since 2013 driving 250,000 miles between them and not one rock chip or cracked windshield. Been extremely lucky.

That being said I now expect to get one later today.😖

BowDown

Reaction score
I’m almost afraid to respond but my last 3 RAM’s since 2013 driving 250,000 miles between them and not one rock chip or cracked windshield. Been extremely lucky.

That being said I now expect to get one later today.😖

Yeah, I'd probably have kept my mouth shut if I were you. A while back (2021) there was a thread about the 12" UC4's locking up. I made a comment that mine had been fine then 1 hour later I was cussing myself as the screen sat there frozen. Lesson learned

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the second Oem… technically it was replaced on the lot prior to me buying it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am still on the original at 4 1/2 years and 60,000 miles, I've had a couple rocks pelt the windshield but I guess nothing big/hard enough to crack it. Now I had a Titan before my Rams and that had at least two winshields in the time I had it, I think because it had a big steeply raked minivan like windshield.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is not really such thing as OEM with windshield. You can get "aftermarket" made to the same exact spec as "oem" from the same exact manufacturer.

Any car\truck can go through windshields like anything, just depends where you live and your luck.

I went 4 years with my Silverado not needing a windshield, my Camaro needed one after a year, G35x had an acon or something hit it parked at Stop and Shop and had a 3 foot long crack, Kia Optima needed 2 (the second one was 3 days before I sold it -_-), My Ram just had one replaced and 3 days after I got a few chips but on the other side so I sealed so it didn't spread.
Mustang and Oldsmobile never needed another windshield, but that's just sheer luck.

Luckily in MA Windshield coverage with $0 deductible is the law so I never paid a penny for any of the replacements.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had three chips repaired in my original windshield. Just over 30k miles. Get them fixed before they spread. My insurance won't pay for another chip repair, so will be a new windshield if I get another chip. But I keep my comp deductible at $50

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I've had 2 replacements so far in less than 2 years. 1st was OEM, 2nd is not. My insurance USAA has no cost, $0 deductible, glass coverage in AZ, so I don't really worry about a window replacement.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am still on the original at 4 1/2 years and 60,000 miles, I've had a couple rocks pelt the windshield but I guess nothing big/hard enough to crack it. Now I had a Titan before my Rams and that had at least two winshields in the time I had it, I think because it had a big steeply raked minivan like windshield.
I’m in the same boat as you, I think. Some minor chips since late 2018, but nothing too noticeable and no cracks yet.

I’ll go OEM for sure when it comes time for a replacement.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had 2 replacements so far in less than 2 years. 1st was OEM, 2nd is not. My insurance USAA has no cost, $0 deductible, glass coverage in AZ, so I don't really worry about a window replacement.
I worry about shoddy workmanship, interior damage, water leakage, camera alignment etc

TheLegend

Reaction score
I’ve had mine for 4 months now and I got a crack dead in the middle of where my eyesight is this past weekend and it drives me insane it’s about 8” long but getting it replaced this week.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I worry about shoddy workmanship, interior damage, water leakage, camera alignment etc

Why I've been avoiding getting mine replaced. If the 2nd chip spreads any, it will have to be done.

Happened the first summer, maybe 6 months in.

Used to be around here (CO) it was an annual event due to the spreading of "sand" during inclement weather.

Also sucks I just got RAM to replace the side moldings on the windshield that were warped from the factory. Can't imagine those are going to survive a replacement.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I have had 3 chips repaired so far. Now I have a BIG crack on passenger side. Some idiot was in a hurry on a cold day replacing wipers and arm slipped out of his hand and WACK --new windshield required. Figured I'll wait until next chip or crack as it will pass inspection.

PS: idiot was this poster o_O

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
I haven't had any replaced with camera systems, but have had 3 or 4 on cars in the past. Used Safelight. Always did a good job. They take care, clean everything, and never had a leak or any other problem.

6of36

Reaction score
Why I've been avoiding getting mine replaced. If the 2nd chip spreads any, it will have to be done.

Happened the first summer, maybe 6 months in.

Used to be around here (CO) it was an annual event due to the spreading of "sand" during inclement weather.

Also sucks I just got RAM to replace the side moldings on the windshield that were warped from the factory. Can't imagine those are going to survive a replacement.
Many of the replacement windshields come with the replacement moldings.

Users who are viewing this thread