5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do you let your truck warm up?

TomB

Reaction score
I don't. If it's cold I turn on the seat and steering wheel heat. If it's icy I scrape. Idle just wastes gas, might as well use that gas to get somewhere.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As soon as I see 58-60 psi on the oil gauge, 15 seconds or so

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I’m leaving the house and it’s been in the garage overnight, as soon as it starts to come off high idle I’ll back out, so under 30 seconds at most. Then I just drive easy until temps come up. If I’m leaving work and it’s been sitting in the cold all day, I’ll remote start as I walk out the door about 80 yards away then take it easy until it’s warmed up, which is usually after the short drive out of our area and waiting for the gate to close. Heat is nice, but a modern engine will warm up quicker under a light load and there’s no point in wasting gas idling when you have heated seats and wheel.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the three plus years I've owned my '19, I've only used the remote start a few times in the winter (maybe six max). Normally I'm putting the transmission in drive within 5-10 seconds of a start.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045349 miles.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use the remote start every day with mine . In the winter I’ll let it idle while I scrape the windows and in the summer by the time I get in the idle has dropped . I take it easy on it while it completely warms up . In the winter up here I can drive for 15-20 minutes and my oil temp still hasn’t gotten to 90 .... that’s C not F .

2bigalow

Reaction score
I've often thought about this topic. Sometimes I let is idle for 5 minutes via the remote start, other times I warm up the engine only long enough for the idle to drop.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the winter, below freezing is so, it's typically however long it takes for me to get my coat, shoes and bag and get out the door. If the truck is covered in ice or snow then it's a little longer while I remove it.
Other than that, I wait for the idle to come down like others have said and then go.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TheMopars

Reaction score
Long enough for the RPM's to settle to the normal 600rpm then go, about 15-20 seconds. Modern engines don't need to be warmed up.

Same here. I live in a warmer climate and it never usually goes below 40-45 degrees, if that. I take it easy getting out of
the neighborhood and I'm usually up to normal operating temps by the time I hit the freeway.

Only time it's any longer is summer when I give the AC a minute or two head start if I didn't park in the shade.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is about 10 seconds give or take. If it’s cold outside I remote start for a couple of minutes, but that’s just for comfort.

Cheers

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It was freezing here in N. FL...it got down in the low 40's over night...I just start her up and start driving:cool:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I generally do not warm it up unless the truck is covered in snow or ice and we haven't had much of any this year so far.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the temperature. Usually auto start her as I'm sitting down to put my shows or boots on, so however long that takes.

If I'm starting from inside the truck I usually let the rpms drop below 800'ish.

Reverse

Reaction score
So far everyone has posted that they do not let truck warm up for very long at all. I'm halfway thinking / wondering if 5% that have lifter failure do let the engine warm up for an extended period? Hmmm

I fall into the ~5 min category I suppose. I do like to see the RPM's settled simply so it makes things nicer when going into gear. And although I drive conservatively all together, I'm especially mindful for the first few miles at least.

Thank you to Grape_Ape for bringing this lifter issue up with the video posted earlier today. It has spurred my curiosity.
I had the lifter issue on my 2014 ($5000 repair). I never warm up that truck, just always let idle settle, then take off.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
What if you are like my wife and are gone the second it turns over?

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
This is very interesting news to me. Guess I'm stuck in the past with my thinking that you should let the vehicle warm up before driving it. Can anyone who experiences -22F+ AND does not garage their truck comment on this? Mine HATES the freezing cold weather my part of the world experiences for 5+ months of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread