5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do you let your truck warm up?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's a cold morning and I'm leaving work I'll let it run for about 5 min while I'm waiting at the time clock. That's usually as much as I let it warm up. I usually always remote start it on my way to it, get in it, plug my phone in, get my listening situation in order, and then go. I do let the coolant and oil temp get up before I ever stomp on it.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Just an update to this thread. Attached were my temps after remote starting and waiting a little over 10 mins. The weather app said it was -29C (-20F) earlier this morning with the wind-chill making it more like -36C (-33F). As I said in my last post my truck HATES the cold and I haven't heard back from anyone who lives in similar weather conditions that just starts up their truck and drives. With everyone in here saying that they never "warm up" their truck I'm curious what your temps look like when you get moving? I'd like to be a little better informed here because this whole thread is flipping what I was taught on its head.

IMG_20210129_0628165.jpg IMG_20210129_0629168.jpg IMG_20210129_0629278.jpg

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been doing some research on the whole lifter oiling issues and apparently low RPM could be a root cause for failure in the long term. Basically means that idling is potentially damaging. Supposedly this lifter failure issue affects just 5% of those with the Hemi. I'm curious as to how long everyone idles their trucks upon startup and / or what their first firing of the day routine is. Thanks
Long enough to put my seatbelt on, and check the rear view mirrors...

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I let mine warm up for as long as it takes me to walk from where I remote started it, get in, put on my seat belt, extend the folding mirrors, and put it in gear. Maybe 60 to 90 seconds at most. My wife regularly lets hers warm up for 5 to 10 minutes, or longer. Sometimes she complains that the 15 minute timer expired and she had to start it again. Two different extremes. I guess we'll see who wins eventually :ROFLMAO:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update to this thread. Attached were my temps after remote starting and waiting a little over 10 mins. The weather app said it was -29C (-20F) earlier this morning with the wind-chill making it more like -36C (-33F). As I said in my last post my truck HATES the cold and I haven't heard back from anyone who lives in similar weather conditions that just starts up their truck and drives. With everyone in here saying that they never "warm up" their truck I'm curious what your temps look like when you get moving? I'd like to be a little better informed here because this whole thread is flipping what I was taught on its head.

View attachment 81024 View attachment 81025 View attachment 81026
Sorry I only understand freedom units. I kid I kid.

Your temps look pretty normal to me warmed up. For me when I've been driving for a few mins I notice my truck is about 33C on the oil and 72C on the coolant.

That's warmed up 2-3 minutes and like...30-40F outside. So not nearly as cold as the temps you're experiencing. In your situation there's no way I wouldn't warm up my truck. Simply because it's got to be an ice box if you just jump in it!

It's supposed to be 30 in the morning. I'll see what my temps look like after 5 min of remote start.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Sorry I only understand freedom units. I kid I kid.

Your temps look pretty normal to me warmed up. For me when I've been driving for a few mins I notice my truck is about 33C on the oil and 72C on the coolant.

That's warmed up 2-3 minutes and like...30-40F outside. So not nearly as cold as the temps you're experiencing. In your situation there's no way I wouldn't warm up my truck. Simply because it's got to be an ice box if you just jump in it!

It's supposed to be 30 in the morning. I'll see what my temps look like after 5 min of remote start.
You Muricans and your imperial ways haha. Hear me out... what if we just said 0 was the freezing point of water, and 100 the boiling? Simple, right? :LOL:

But yes, I figured my temps were ok except for my trans which was negative:oops: but mind you but that was already running 10 minutes + at that point. I just couldn't see how anyone WOULDN"T warm it up when its that cold. AND it takes about 5-10 minutes of driving before everything starts to feel normal. An ice box is understating it haha. Would be nice to hear from more people who live in igloos like I do.

That's good to hear from your experience though. Very much appreciated - with this being my first brand new vehicle I want to make it last and every small detail counts. Again I was very surprised to see most people don't warm up their trucks, but with almost everyone on this forum bleeding red, white and blue it makes sense as I feel like only Alaskans can understand what I mean. I was taught to warm it up when it hits -20C+ (the last 2 weeks where I live, -28 was a good day). But barring any extreme cold weather I'm with the rest of you guys... now😄.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You Muricans and your imperial ways haha. Hear me out... what if we just said 0 was the freezing point of water, and 100 the boiling? Simple, right? :LOL:

But yes, I figured my temps were ok except for my trans which was negative:oops: but mind you but that was already running 10 minutes + at that point. I just couldn't see how anyone WOULDN"T warm it up when its that cold. AND it takes about 5-10 minutes of driving before everything starts to feel normal. An ice box is understating it haha. Would be nice to hear from more people who live in igloos like I do.

That's good to hear from your experience though. Very much appreciated - with this being my first brand new vehicle I want to make it last and every small detail counts. Again I was very surprised to see most people don't warm up their trucks, but with almost everyone on this forum bleeding red, white and blue it makes sense as I feel like only Alaskans can understand what I mean. I was taught to warm it up when it hits -20C+ (the last 2 weeks where I live, -28 was a good day). But barring any extreme cold weather I'm with the rest of you guys... now😄.

Here it is with a 5 min warmup at 28F

Attachments

• C132707A-015A-4F05-969C-E5B7E8BF7CD0.jpeg
    C132707A-015A-4F05-969C-E5B7E8BF7CD0.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 18

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, just assumed we could take that and extrapolate down to your more frigid temps and say you look pretty good.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
I use thicker oil than recommended, so I usually let the engine warm for about 5 minutes or so before I drive it.
And I always drive it long enough for everything to get to operating temperature: gets out all the condensation from warmup.
After 43,000 miles, no ticking sounds ever. Engine just purrs.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread