5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How heavy is too heavy.

Christine74

Reaction score
I just traded in a 2014 ecodiesel for a 2021 Limited with air suspension. I'm trying to find out how much i can load safely in the bed. My last truck I could get a yard of gravel, sand or anything like that. This truck has ram boxes, so I know there's a little less space. I want to make sure I don't overload things.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The load for your Ram is based on your options/build, it is posted on the door sticker.

I have carried over a yard of dirt (7 full large wheel barrows) and a yard of gravel in my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and have carried 1 1/2 tons of pavers in my brother's 2000 Dodge 2500. I have also carried an over loaded bed full of gravel in an 8' bed in a Ford F150 (I'll never do that again).
The distance driven was about 2 miles on local roads for the dirt and gravel while the pavers where on an interstate highway and local roads. That was when I was younger. Today I stick with a 1/2 yard of gravel in my ventures which is more within the rated payload. I like to think I'm older and wiser, but liability also comes into the equation.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Check your door sticker. Payload info is always there and that's your max safe limit.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Safe depends on what a person determines safe for them, but the door sticker IS the factory legal limit. If you put 2 T in the bed and bust the rear suspension, you won't be able to claim a warranty covered repair.

silver billet

Reaction score
Safe depends on what a person determines safe for them

I can think of better advice to give to truck owners who don't know enough about payload to check the door jamb (no offense to the OP of course).

Safety begins with knowing the limits as set by the manufacturer. If you're new to hauling/towing, you should stay well within all those limits until you know what you're doing, gained experience, and know the risks of exceeding specific specs.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can think of better advice to give to truck owners who don't know enough about payload to check the door jamb (no offense to the OP of course).

Safety begins with knowing the limits as set by the manufacturer. If you're new to hauling/towing, you should stay well within all those limits until you know what you're doing, gained experience, and know the risks of exceeding specific specs.
Just pointing out the difference between "SAFE" and "legal", ie. rated

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
Also since you have the Limited with the Air Suspension at some point the compressor won't be able to put any more air pressure into the rear springs and it will go into "Protection Mode" and you will get a warning on the dash. Just FYI

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the air suspension on that thing will level every damn pound of that doorsticker! It's a robust system. While I opted to get a spring suspension on the next Rebel (from my 2016 one), I had ZERO complaints about how well it levelled a load. Zero. It was amazing and darn near magic. On my 2016 Rebel, I'd had about 1,200lbs in the bed and it handled it fine.

The rebel's E-rated tires are the stuff you use on 3/4tons.
The 5.7Hemi truck engine was the mill (in it's de-rated form) used in Rams 2500 trucks for a long time.
The axles and frame are strong.
The transmission is robust.

The limiter, aside from GVWR? The brakes. At the least, it's the brakes. (and in my opinion the other suspension components, things like wheel bearings and all that jazz would get beat up a bit more trying to do the 3/4ton truck lifestyle every single day).
As the brakes get hot, they fade, and those stopping distances start going up.
To get the GVWR higher on the next Gen Rams? They made the brakes much bigger, and had to go from a 17in to an 18in wheel in the process as the "Small" wheels. And that 18in wheel is a tight fit to the caliper, guys going to other 18in wheels are finding in some cases their wheel weights are creatively placed on aftermarket 18s.

Verdict? Read the door sticker, try to stay close to it. 1lb isn't really going to be the end of the world, yes IMHO there's some safety margin in there and all, but going a ton over isn't super smart, particularly if you've got family on board, hills with tons of braking, etc.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the air suspension on that thing will level every damn pound of that doorsticker! It's a robust system. While I opted to get a spring suspension on the next Rebel (from my 2016 one), I had ZERO complaints about how well it levelled a load. Zero. It was amazing and darn near magic. On my 2016 Rebel, I'd had about 1,200lbs in the bed and it handled it fine.

The rebel's E-rated tires are the stuff you use on 3/4tons.
The 5.7Hemi truck engine was the mill (in it's de-rated form) used in Rams 2500 trucks for a long time.
The axles and frame are strong.
The transmission is robust.

The limiter, aside from GVWR? The brakes. At the least, it's the brakes. (and in my opinion the other suspension components, things like wheel bearings and all that jazz would get beat up a bit more trying to do the 3/4ton truck lifestyle every single day).
As the brakes get hot, they fade, and those stopping distances start going up.
To get the GVWR higher on the next Gen Rams? They made the brakes much bigger, and had to go from a 17in to an 18in wheel in the process as the "Small" wheels. And that 18in wheel is a tight fit to the caliper, guys going to other 18in wheels are finding in some cases their wheel weights are creatively placed on aftermarket 18s.

Verdict? Read the door sticker, try to stay close to it. 1lb isn't really going to be the end of the world, yes IMHO there's some safety margin in there and all, but going a ton over isn't super smart, particularly if you've got family on board, hills with tons of braking, etc.
Don't forget that the max-tow option also comes with a larger diameter rear axle.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also since you have the Limited with the Air Suspension at some point the compressor won't be able to put any more air pressure into the rear springs and it will go into "Protection Mode" and you will get a warning on the dash. Just FYI
Air suspension has nothing to do with factory designated payload max and safe towing. In fact, the air makes for a softer and less planted rear end than leaf springs when towing. Coils and bags really are not as good as leafs.

Nick57

Reaction score
Air suspension has nothing to do with factory designated payload max and safe towing. In fact, the air makes for a softer and less planted rear end than leaf springs when towing. Coils and bags really are not as good as leafs.
Then why do Semi's use air suspensions instead of leafs if leafs are better? That is not true.

silver billet

Reaction score

My take is that coils are a little less forgiving than springs, in terms of getting the weight correctly dialed in. I towed my trailer last year empty and it was like Fatman Bob was bouncing up and down on my back bumper. Towed the same trailer with full load of water in the front and it rode rock solid.

I hear a lot more stories of bouncing Rams due to the coils, so for towing it appears leafs are easier to setup and go, but unloaded, I'll take coils (and/or air) everytime.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I was reading on an rv forum (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30104889.cfm)
and a guy with a 19' Escalade wanted to know if an appx GVWR 7K TT was too much.
He got the usual "you need a DRW 1 ton" all the way to "you are golden".

Then someone sent in this pic. It doesn't show the hitch or give any details but it does give one "pause". I believe this would qualify as "too heavy":
1624329690194.png

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Good sir, I will disagree with the first part of this.

Yes, I think the leaf springs in the rear are better at load management than COIL springs, On that part I agree.
But the ram air suspension handles heavy loads in the rear better than basically every other factory setup - save for perhaps MAYBE the uber high payload package Ford has. (With VERY heavy springs, like 10inches of rake, and it rides like it too).

Yes, the Air suspension is cushy when unloaded, but the whole point is that it stiffens up as it senses weight in the back.
I kick myself for not saving the picture, I've seen a photo of an air suspension truck loaded with I want to say, 2,400lbs of material in the bed?
It had boxes that I believe had their weight on them, I want to say it was 47lbs a piece or more. There were a TON of these boxes in the back. I want to say it was a dark blue Ram, 2016 body style, the tailgate is down in the photo. He was WAY over GVWR. I can remember the damn image but I can't find it on my hard drive.

A 2,400lb+ load would have put another Ram on its bumpstops, and likely most leafspring 1/2ton trucks as well.
Not so for the air suspension.
While I fully, fully recommend everyone stick within manufacturers ratings? In a "on private roads only with no other drivers setting", the ram air suspension is stupid-strong, wayyyy over what the doorsticker says it will do.

I can say on my old ram with an air suspension, the door sticker "may or may not have been" Sub 900lbs.
I may or may not have had roughly 1,200lbs of payload in the bed. The control the suspension had over that load in turns and bumps was amazing. No porpoise-ing up and down at all.
It really is a beautiful system in terms of how nice it can ride on the road, AND how well it can handle loads.
That's what they're so proud of - and that's also why I believe we're seeing air suspensions in both the Cybertruck AND Hummer.
The Hummer's like 9000lbs BUT it also has to ride nice enough to justify being a $100,000 grocery getter for those who will buy them.
Air suspension is how they'll do it.

For the Gen5 Ram, I opted out of the air ride because I wanted to change the suspension and keep my options open for lifting it.
Lower cost as well.
AND I'm wary of how they will hold up in this cold climate up here longterm (I intend on buying the truck and keeping forever).
Not on the list? Ride and payload handling. Both are great!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was reading on an rv forum (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30104889.cfm)
and a guy with a 19' Escalade wanted to know if an appx GVWR 7K TT was too much.
He got the usual "you need a DRW 1 ton" all the way to "you are golden".

Then someone sent in this pic. It doesn't show the hitch or give any details but it does give one "pause". I believe this would qualify as "too heavy":
View attachment 97547

Yikes!
I'm guessing there's a biiiig tongueweight problem there.

The reality is, if they have 400lbs of Gear in the back behind the rear seats, and they accidentally have 900lbs of tongueweight?
That's kinda more like 1,300lbs of tongueweight.

So with the silverados Chevy has been putting all their towing/payload information on a doorsticker. Notice something here though.

1624331205074.png
That 1,637lb payload, does not mean, put all of that in the back and have a great time when towing.
See the tongue weight they're calling for, is 930lbs. At 10% tongue weight, that's 9,300lbs of trailer.

IMHO we need to be realistic here and understand that crossing 1000lbs of payload in the bed of a 1/2ton truck, in this era where ride comfort is a priority? That's kind of a big deal. (Even more so if your truck is levelled!)

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have a rebel 1300 payload and loaded about 1500 lbs of tiles ... two pallets my truck dropped a good two maybe 3 inchs 😂😅☠️ but it drove pretty dam good for being loaded ... i have a off road bumper and winch... it picked up speed pretty easy and stopped no issues at all

other then that i wont be testing the waters again no time soon but i was kinda impressed

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
This isn't necessarily about payload but if you delve into the article he had seriously overloaded his 30' TT at the rear and thus levered up the front, pulling the truck's rear axle up. Gust of wind on the 30' sail and over he went...

Ford Super Duty Saved From Tumbling Into Gorge by Safety Chain​

By Brett Foote - March 17, 2021
2004 Ford Super Duty F-350
1624393487590.png

"Summary from several sources:

The driver had a Ford F350 single rear wheel diesel and a 30+ foot
bumper-pull trailer. He had a proper weight distributing hitch that
under normal circumstances results in correct weight distribution
on the 4 wheels of the truck.

But he had a cargo platform stuck into a trailer receiver that had
been added to the back of the trailer. On the cargo platform was
a heavy generator, a load of firewood, and more "stuff". That
extra weight pushed down on the rear end of the trailer, which
fulcrumed on it's wheels/axles, and reduced the weight on the
the trailer tongue which resulted in reduced weight on the
truck axles. This was an accident waiting to happen.

Take that combination onto the Malad Gorge bridge on Interstate 84
during one of the periodic insane crosswinds that happen there.
A trailer that big is a huge sail in a strong crosswind. The trailer
started swaying back and forth, then a large swing to the left broke
the traction of the rear axle of the truck. The rear of the truck
went sideways to the left, and the front went through and over the
rail. The trailer tipped onto its side and the tongue came off of the ball.

ONE safety chain held the truck in the air until the driver of the green
tractor-trailer added several load tie-down chains between the rear
frame of the Ford truck and the front frame of his green tractor.

Rescuers used a crane and body harnesses to remove the elderly
driver, his wife, and two dogs from the cab of the truck. The driver
and his wife were transported to a local hospital for treatment of injuries,
the dogs were taken in by family members.
"

Users who are viewing this thread