5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How full do you fill with gas?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 33 gallon tank and 3.21 gearing. I found out in another thread that my truck can't pull that much weight in the fuel tank because I don't have 3.92s. (<- Glad to find out. Thanks!) So, now, I only fill it halfway.

;)
Don't worry, we figured out how you 3.21 guys get such good milage. You fill up and then have to wait for a 3.92 truck to come and pull you down the road!

For fill up, I just stop when it clicks off (you know the real final click not the one at half tank or the other at 5/8 tank or the other at...) I refill when it is 1/4 or lower and I am near home. Gas tends to be cheaper out my way than in the city and less than 1/4 tank is cutting it close for a round trip to work.

puba08

Reaction score
The light has come own many times…
I fill until the pump stops whether it’s full or the pump won’t let me spend over $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually don’t let it get below a quarter tank… filling up let it shut itself off and attempt to get it to nearest dollar. I’m not one to go fill up at the gas station every day still going to cost around the same rather if I wait till it’s on E or throw in $20 here $20 there. If I’m traveling then sometimes I let it hit E before stopping to refuel just depends.

Dewey

Reaction score
The light has come own many times…
I fill until the pump stops whether it’s full or the pump won’t let me spend over $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They removed the $100 limit on pumps around here. Guessing they finally figured out they were losing out on $$$ when people said screw it and drove off with less than a full tank.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Top off as it comes down and keep filling up when prices are low.
You’re going to be waiting along time for this now. Especially since sleepy joe shut down all that oil in Alaska. I am filling up at least once a week to try and get the best price possible. It’s tough now that prices jump 5 cents every few days.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't worry, we figured out how you 3.21 guys get such good milage. You fill up and then have to wait for a 3.92 truck to come and pull you down the road!

For fill up, I just stop when it clicks off (you know the real final click not the one at half tank or the other at 5/8 tank or the other at...) I refill when it is 1/4 or lower and I am near home. Gas tends to be cheaper out my way than in the city and less than 1/4 tank is cutting it close for a round trip to work.
Just watch out for when the 3.92s run out of gas in 10 miles. Don’t wanna rear end u. 😬

mtnbikej

Reaction score
I specifically ordeered the 33 gallon tank....no sense in not filling it up when it needs to be. I mean, I didn't buy that big of a tank to run a bunch of air in it most of the time.

WFO2

Reaction score
I agree with some of the others here . I fill up when it gets below 3/4 and when it clicks im done .

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The reason why I do two clicks is to prevent any false positives. When you get a single click, then wait a few seconds and do a second pull which then clicks quickly, you know you got a full tank without risking overfilling or damaging the vent system.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since it's diesel and foams when fueling, full until it clicks, about 30 seconds then to click again. TFL stole my style.

When not towing all winter, I never let it get below 1/2 tank (50 gal tank) but it doesn't get driven much. I bought 26 gallons May 8, before that it was 20 gals in Feb and a fill in Nov.

When towing, it's rare I push it past 1/4 tank available. If we make a stop for anything, typically the gassers running with us, I top off if below 3/4.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
You’re going to be waiting along time for this now. Especially since sleepy joe shut down all that oil in Alaska. I am filling up at least once a week to try and get the best price possible. It’s tough now that prices jump 5 cents every few days.
It goes up and down, but I still can't complain so long as I'm coming out better than average. Gas is $4.50 right now, but I'm running my 2nd tank of $3.90, so I'll just keep passing it up until I see it drop off a bit....and it will, it always does. Something happens in the news and gas jumps 50c overnight. Then it turns out not to be a big deal and the prices start to settle back, a bit. Worst case scenario, I begin to run low, so I hit up the cheapest Upside deal I can find.

I also noticed something: My wife used to fill weekly in her CX-5. My 21+18gal lasts me almost a month. The Upside app seems to push better deals when you don't use the app as often, like they're trying to incentivize you to come back. My wife might get 7c off, I'll log in and see 30c off at the same station at the same time. I'll nab that up and then grab 40-gallons.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t like to let my tank go under 1/4 ever

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I usually start looking for a place to stop for gas when we're down to 1/2 tank, if we haven't had to stop before then. Think I've run it below that once. When we stop, I set the trigger to the middle notch and let it go while I'm cleaning the windows, bugs off the front, etc. Never had it not fill the tank.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Fill up between 1/4 and 1/8 tank. Fill until it clicks. I Fill up at costco so that saves me around 25-50 cents a gallon depending on the day, so I dont worry too much about how often I Fill it up.

I only have the 23 gallon tank and I can still go 2-3 weeks on average between Fill ups, and I have to actually drive to work! I feel bad for some of you guys...

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Tdmva21

Reaction score
but I'm not above peeing on the side of the interstate.
Off/On Ramps are the best spots.....quick and never lose much track position to the idiots you worked so hard to pass.

I don't go below 1/4. This winter in VA when the wonderful state/VDOT, etc. had the mishap on 95 in the snow is a good reason why.... never know when you may be stuck somewhere.
Been on the Jersey Tpke for hours due to an accident closure when my kids were really young and glad we weren't the ones on E.

Last edited:

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Off/On Ramps are the best spots.....quick and never lose much track position to the idiots you worked so hard to pass.

I don't go below 1/4. This winter in VA when the wonderful state/VDOT, etc. had the mishap on 95 in the snow is a good reason why.... never know when you may be stuck somewhere.
Been on the Jersey Tpke for hours due to an accident closure when my kids were really young and glad we weren't the ones on E.
I feel the same way. I hate passing the same guy twice.

As far as winter....what's winter?
christmas-in-florida-e1572618387197.jpeg

vincentw56

Reaction score
I go until the low fuel light comes on or close to it. Then 2 clicks after it is done with any 15 seconds in between.

Scram1500

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread