5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does RAM get the 1" lift w/ the "Off Road Package"

JBeckman

Reaction score

meltedcheez

Reaction score
That's a complete call for you to make. If you decide to do just a 2" level, I did a write up on the one I did.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/rough-country-2-level-on-or-laramie-w-pics.2771/#post-40953
Going to order the UCA from the morpar level/lift kit to help with BJ angle.

Great write-up. That is exactly what I was searching for. Why would you replace the UCA with adding just the spacer? If I'm going to replace the UCA I might as put more lift on it.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Great write-up. That is exactly what I was searching for. Why would you replace the UCA with adding just the spacer? If I'm going to replace the UCA I might as put more lift on it.
It's been reccomended to replace it due to the BJ angle at full droop. Can put excessive wear on the UBJ. By replacing it, it keeps it at a proper angle throughout full stroke.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure. The point is that with the ORP your at 1" over stock, with a stock UCA. If you use an actual 2" strut top spacer you are now 3" over stock and the stock UCA isn't designed for that angle at full drop. If you use a nominal 2" strut top spacer you might get 1.3" to 1.75" of lift, depending on manufacturer. That keeps you under the 3" stress zone that many have determined can potentially pop your upper ball joint during off road driving, or a severe pot hole.

Sounds like you don't mind just a level truck, but having the ORP means you need to do your homework. A $500-800 pair of UCA's for an expensive trucks suspension and peace of mind seems like a no-brainer.

paulc

Reaction score
Sure. The point is that with the ORP your at 1" over stock, with a stock UCA. If you use an actual 2" strut top spacer you are now 3" over stock and the stock UCA isn't designed for that angle at full drop. If you use a nominal 2" strut top spacer you might get 1.3" to 1.75" of lift, depending on manufacturer. That keeps you under the 3" stress zone that many have determined can potentially pop your upper ball joint during off road driving, or a severe pot hole.

Sounds like you don't mind just a level truck, but having the ORP means you need to do your homework. A $500-800 pair of UCA's for an expensive trucks suspension and peace of mind seems like a no-brainer.

I need some help please. I am purchasing the larmaine 4x4 off road package 2019 this week, and I do not want to lift the truck, I just want it to be level. Does the off road package that make the truck 1" higher also make it level? If not, what type of leveling kit do I need to get in order to just achieve being level? This will be a non-air bag suspension purchase.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need some help please. I am purchasing the larmaine 4x4 off road package 2019 this week, and I do not want to lift the truck, I just want it to be level. Does the off road package that make the truck 1" higher also make it level? If not, what type of leveling kit do I need to get in order to just achieve being level? This will be a non-air bag suspension purchase.
No, it does not level the truck. It gives it an extra inch all the way around. Best option to level would be a 2" top hat spacer for the front, and I would heavily suggest you replace the upper control arms when you do it. The factory arm is not designed to accommodate 3" of lift.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
I have the 2019 4x4 laramie with ORP and it does not get leveled with just the ORP

paulc

Reaction score
No, it does not level the truck. It gives it an extra inch all the way around. Best option to level would be a 2" top hat spacer for the front, and I would heavily suggest you replace the upper control arms when you do it. The factory arm is not designed to accommodate 3" of lift.
thank you for the information, greatly appreciate it!

NewGuy1

Reaction score
Oh, okay. I appreciate the reply.

So, if one were to get the Off Road Package along with air suspension, then decide the ride was not as good as a truck without the Off Road Package, would it be possible to change out the shocks and have the air suspension reprogrammed in a non-off road group setting? 5 heights?

I'm thinking up contingency plans if I hate my choice of ordering the off road group when I eventually get the truck.

About one half of the owners I ask say the ride is overly firm with ORP, and the other half say they can't really tell a difference. Many have also said I will love the ride. I'm second guessing my ordering choice. Too late now though, I should have the truck some time this month.
I would really like to know as well. I am building a limited now with 6’4” bed and am not sure if I should add better shocks after vs no warranty issues if dealer does it. With the air suspension do you really need the fine tuned suspension the off road kit comes with? Thank you!

Bluram

Reaction score
From what I have been able to tell, the front strut assemblies are longer. Not totally sure about the rear, but there is no factory spacer. It is a true 1" extra lift
From talking to the folks at Revel Performance, this is not true. They achieve the 1in lift by essentially lifting the airbags 1in - that's why we only have 4 settings while the stock variant have 5.
In other words, the folks that always say "how can I trick the computer to always ride in OR1 so I can get a 1in lift", the answer: get the ORG/ORP because that's what it does.
Our "normal" mode is their "OR1" mode. From what he said, this has nothing to do with longer struts or anything like that. The difference in the part numbers and all that is because the ORP gets special shocks with the air bags that are a step up from non-ORP models and are not as good as Rebel bilsteins. The air bags are the same on all models but the three sets of shocks are different which require different part numbers.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From talking to the folks at Revel Performance, this is not true. They achieve the 1in lift by essentially lifting the airbags 1in - that's why we only have 4 settings while the stock variant have 5.
In other words, the folks that always say "how can I trick the computer to always ride in OR1 so I can get a 1in lift", the answer: get the ORG/ORP because that's what it does.
Our "normal" mode is their "OR1" mode. From what he said, this has nothing to do with longer struts or anything like that. The difference in the part numbers and all that is because the ORP gets special shocks with the air bags that are a step up from non-ORP models and are not as good as Rebel bilsteins. The air bags are the same on all models but the three sets of shocks are different which require different part numbers.
To add onto this and update some other early comments, the ORG non-airride is achieved with a 1” longer spring and not lengthening of the shock body.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To add onto this and update some other early comments, the ORG non-airride is achieved with a 1” longer spring and not lengthening of the shock body.
Holy thread resurrection Batman. BTW, ^^^this is correct.

Bluram

Reaction score
Don't worry I still have my questions. Since folks have chimed in, let's see how 'much' we can resurrect this beast.

I just bought a 2020 Ram Limited ORG and I bought the daystar/revel links package with UCA for a 2.5in level and I have the rear links coming but don't plan to use them - yet.

Has anyone lifted their ram with a 2-2.5in level with the ORG and had any issues with 35's like the stock trucks who level and still have to trim?

From my understanding now, this would give me/us a 3.5in lift in the front over stock and essentially match the front of a 3.5in lift kit for stock Rams, like the Rough Country kit.

Now the question is; has anyone in this thread put 35s on and noticed that you basically have a 3+in lift in the front and don't have to trim at all? Second Question: Has anyone lifted the rear an inch or two with revel links and using spacers like we do in the front?
If I can get a 3.5in lift in the front and a 1in in the rear (on top of the stock 1in), I'll be sit-in gat 3.5/2 lift with just this revel kit and some rear spacers.
Third Question: Anyone put fox 2.0 shocks on the rear (which allow up to 2in of lift) to go with the airbags?

Hence I'm trying to achieve: 3.5/2in lift with fox shocks in the rear and 35s on 20x10's with -18 offset.
A lot but thanks if you can help!

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was a non air ride truck. These have different front strut assemblies to achieve the lift.

Users who are viewing this thread