5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does RAM get the 1" lift w/ the "Off Road Package"

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I have been able to tell, the front strut assemblies are longer. Not totally sure about the rear, but there is no factory spacer. It is a true 1" extra lift

wolf1776

Reaction score
From what I have been able to tell, the front strut assemblies are longer. Not totally sure about the rear, but there is no factory spacer. It is a true 1" extra lift
I wonder, if that's the case and you add a 2" spacer/leveling kit, would you then be at 3' inches over all?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder, if that's the case and you add a 2" spacer/leveling kit, would you then be at 3' inches over all?
Yup that would be the result. Careful with the factory upper control arm ball joint angles at that amount of lift. The dealer had a Laramie with the offroad package and a leveling kit added on top probably an additional 2". The angles weren't awful sitting but I would bet enough cycles of the suspension fully unloading would pop them.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I was going to ask the same exact question!

I'm really hoping it's not a longer strut.

If you ever decide that you no longer want the extra height and want to get the air suspension reprogrammed back to the 5 original height leveks, for non-ORP, you wouldn't be able to do it!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same exact question!

I'm really hoping it's not a longer strut.

If you ever decide that you no longer want the extra height and want to get the air suspension reprogrammed back to the 5 original height leveks, for non-ORP, you wouldn't be able to do it!
Air ride? Just buy/make adjustable links for your sensors. You don't need spacers.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is the 1" lift actually achieved with the air suspension instead of mechanically with a spacer?
Yes, all they do for the air suspension is program it differently. As a result, any ody with the air suspension and offroad package will not have the Offroad 2 setting.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Yes, all they do for the air suspension is program it differently. As a result, any ody with the air suspension and offroad package will not have the Offroad 2 setting.
Oh, okay. I appreciate the reply.

So, if one were to get the Off Road Package along with air suspension, then decide the ride was not as good as a truck without the Off Road Package, would it be possible to change out the shocks and have the air suspension reprogrammed in a non-off road group setting? 5 heights?

I'm thinking up contingency plans if I hate my choice of ordering the off road group when I eventually get the truck.

About one half of the owners I ask say the ride is overly firm with ORP, and the other half say they can't really tell a difference. Many have also said I will love the ride. I'm second guessing my ordering choice. Too late now though, I should have the truck some time this month.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So, if one were to get the Off Road Package along with air suspension, then decide the ride was not as good as a truck without the Off Road Package, would it be possible to change out the shocks and have the air suspension reprogrammed in a non-off road group setting? 5 heights?

I'm thinking up contingency plans if I hate my choice of ordering the off road group when I eventually get the truck.

About one half of the owners I ask say the ride is overly firm with ORP, and the other half say they can't really tell a difference. Many have also said I will love the ride. I'm second guessing my ordering choice. Too late now though, I should have the truck some time this month.

I don't know if any dealers would be knowledgeable enough at this point to reprogram it, but I'm sure it is possible.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The air ride in ORP is a completely different system. From what my parts guy said, it is a combination of longer strut and larger air bags and different compressor. So the programming and nitrogen charge is also different. I think the overall lift is capped at 2" because of potential stress on stock uca which is the same on all trucks. So while it could be possible to swap, it would be costly.

Last edited:

The_Chemist

Reaction score
The air ride in ORP is a completely different system. From what my parts guy said, it is a combination of longer strut and larger air bags and different compressor. So the programming and nitrogen charge is also different. I think the overall lift is capped at 2" because of potential stress on stock uca which is the same on all trucks. So while it could be possible to swap, it would be costly.
Gotcha. Thanks. Man do I hope I like the ride of the ORP when I get it!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think you made the right choice. There are no reliable aftermarket lift options for the air ride so getting the 1" is a huge benefit in my opinion. If the ride is too stiff (which I highly doubt), just drop it to aero. But I'm sure the larger air bags will offset any stiffness compared to non-ORP.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. There are no reliable aftermarket lift options for the air ride so getting the 1" is a huge benefit in my opinion. If the ride is too stiff (which I highly doubt), just drop it to aero. But I'm sure the larger air bags will offset any stiffness compared to non-ORP.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I appreciate it very much. I mainly purchased the off road package for the sometimes tough Pennsylvania winters. I have to drive to work very early in the morning before anything is done to the roads. It can be a chore just to get out of my neighborhood. There may also be occasional trips through mountain trails.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

With the ORG and air suspension, I think you'll be pleased. You're combining a slightly-more-solid ride and taller stance (ORG) with a pothole-absorbing adjustable pillow (air suspension), which—in my opinion—is the best of everything.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I have the Rebel and have crawled under 6 stock 4x4 trucks to figure out what is the difference as I was told my lift won't fit on the Rebel.

I can say without a doubt the difference is the spring cup location. On the Rebels and off road packages the spring cup is 1" higher up on the strut than the other models.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Rebel and have crawled under 6 stock 4x4 trucks to figure out what is the difference as I was told my lift won't fit on the Rebel.

I can say without a doubt the difference is the spring cup location. On the Rebels and off road packages the spring cup is 1" higher up on the strut than the other models.
how about the rear ?

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I appreciate it very much. I mainly purchased the off road package for the sometimes tough Pennsylvania winters. I have to drive to work very early in the morning before anything is done to the roads. It can be a chore just to get out of my neighborhood. There may also be occasional trips through mountain trails.

You'll love it.

I once went too fast over a deep dip in the road and my truck went airborne. Truck took it like a champ. I came off my seat lol.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
With the ORG and air suspension, I think you'll be pleased. You're combining a slightly-more-solid ride and taller stance (ORG) with a pothole-absorbing adjustable pillow (air suspension), which—in my opinion—is the best of everything.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. You have the ORG, so you should know first-hand. Looking forward to taking delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread