5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you get your oil changed?

How/where do you change your oil?

• Total voters

Cudapower

Reaction score
The local dealer around here also uses "semi synthetic oil" and wants you back every 3000 miles. I know for a fact that they use a no name bulk oil blended by a local distributer. Ok maybe but they have no knowledge of any quality control or verification to spec. The drums just give the viscosity.

dacm99

Reaction score
I too change my own oil, it’s a full 30 mins to change including a beer and the 25 mins to clean up the skid plate under the oil filter. If you don’t have a space to work on the truck I get not doing it yourself, but honestly it’s such a basic procedure and for me can be done at any time that works for me. I hate paying for anything I know I can do myself.

BigAdge

Reaction score
Awesome to see the majority seem to diy this, gives me some confidence. If anyone has any tips or advice I'd love to hear it. What are the must haves?

Gregg72

Reaction score
I always go to the Ram dealer. I'd rather pay $50 & not have to save all the receipts in case of a warranty issue in the future. I paid $40,000 for a truck, I think I can afford oil changes. Not worried about trying to save $20 !! And yes I'm completely capable of changing my own oil. Did it all the time as a kid. So no, not worried about losing my "man card " 😂 if they strip the plug or overtighten the filter it's on them. I have the recorded proof that they were the last ones to change it. I see independent shops offering $20 oil changes. I would never have some pot head or tweaker touch my truck just so I could save a couple bucks !! Just my 2 cents.
What brand of oil do they use??

BNeal

Reaction score
our dealership has all the meth heads changing oil & tires . i had to have the tires rebalanced on my gmc & meth head 1 forgot to tighten the nut on the balancer machine & spun it up wheel came flying off meth head 2 tried to catch a 22" rim in the air that was spinning & broke his wrist . the rim hit the wall & messed it up bad had to wait 4 days for them to order a new rim. ugh . i do my own oil changes & tire rotation now

7 tires
OMG, that was funny!! Sorry for the damage to your rim, but your description still has me belly-laughing!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do my own because I don’t trust other people to work on my vehicle. I have an indoor heated place to do it, saves me money, only take me 30min, and on top of all of that I don’t mind doing it.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have about 35% oil life left to the first Oil Change. I want to install the
Mishimoto Drain Valve in my Ecodiesel so it will take care of most of the
mess involved after the first Oil Change. Since I installed the LEER 122 High
rise Cap on the bed, the truck is too high to get through the door at the
local Makerspace where I have access to a auto lift.

So I see a high curb, some car ramps, and the suspension at its highest
in my future.

Malodave

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a no brainer. No reason to risk your truck after the free oil changes are all used. Change it myself with the PUP and Purolator filter or K&N Gold. No worries about wrong anything or letting them prematurely wear out my truck components. I have seen the crossthreaded plug, filter, and over and underfilled capacity. Also I have seen bait and switch on paying for Full Synthetic and getting the cheap barrel of conventional crap. I even watched as they left an engine running and drained the oil until the engine stopped. When I told them that is completely wrong they said "Naw, we do it all the time, doesn't hurt anything as long as it is only at idle". WRONG answer!!! wear and tear is not covered by any warranty so they just mistreated a vehicle and won't be held accountable. Good luck with that fight! Rather do it myself so it is done correctly and the vehicle will last as long as possible.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
i did DIY 6-10k on my 4th gen, and that oil filter is a pain in the ***. I’d do my 5th gen if i had an oil relocation kit, but i tried out the lube shop my father in law brings his CTD to and they charged me 108 bucks for royal purple full synthetic. I usually spend 60 bucks on my own to change my oil, so 40 bucks to not get my driveway, hands, shirt, etc dirty is fine with me.

i’ve tried the gallon ziplock bag thing, it does work. but the skids and transfer case are something i’d rather not work around.

doradosteve

Reaction score
Access to the oil filter is ridiculous. I have difficulty in getting an ratchet wrench & oil filter socket in there. Any tips?
71S3S9AKbcL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Attachments

• 71S3S9AKbcL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    71S3S9AKbcL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 13

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Access to the oil filter is ridiculous. I have difficulty in getting an ratchet wrench & oil filter socket in there. Any tips?
View attachment 83042
FYI - There are recommendations in there somewhere.

see post 45 46 - what worked for me

Last edited:

doradosteve

Reaction score
FYI - There are recommendations in there somewhere.

see post 45 46 - what worked for me
Thank you

steveved

Reaction score
Awesome to see the majority seem to diy this, gives me some confidence. If anyone has any tips or advice I'd love to hear it. What are the must haves?
The biggest "must have" in my book is a gallon sized zip lock bag to go around the filter as you are removing it. The filter is in such a ridiculous location, you cannot get it out without getting oil all over the front axle and steering unit unless you use the zip lock bag trick.

The rest is as the others have said: a good filter wrench, a quality oil filter, your preferred brand of oil and some rags.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Local shop I've used for years every 7-8K miles.

Anything but going to the dealership...trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I will do it myself but for now I use the 2 for $100 coupon from the dealer as in my opinion it is cheaper, easier and cleaner. Yes it does involve a quick stop at the dealer but still worth it for now.

I do plan on having them use a k&n oil filter so that when I do it, it will be easier and I had them install an oil drain valve last time as well

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I buy my own oil (Mobil 1 Full Synthetic) and Mopar filter and have the dealer do it. All I pay for is labor which varies between $20-$25. Well worth it IMO.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
I buy my own oil (Mobil 1 Full Synthetic) and Mopar filter and have the dealer do it. All I pay for is labor which varies between $20-$25. Well worth it IMO.

Could you please list the Mopar part number for the filter? And you’re using 5W20?

Users who are viewing this thread