5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you get your oil changed?

How/where do you change your oil?

• Total voters

BigAdge

Reaction score
Just seeing what most people on here do. Have never DIYed oil changes, hasn't seemed worth it, but thinking of giving it a whirl.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’d do it myself it it weren’t so messy.
The 5th gens are a PIA in this regard from what I’ve seen. Fortunately, my dealer has been great with these and I’ve had zero issues.

Cheers,

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Full synth every 10k DIY. After having my truck filled with 11 quarts not once but twice, never again at anyone's place other than my garage.

Same as above, I know what oil goes in, how much, what filter is used, and what everything looks like coming out and going in.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been doing it for my 2012 ram, 2016 charger and will do it this spring on my new ram.

Now if you want to start a real holy war, start the oil talk...lol

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
some of us old Gear-Heads grew up in a time where men were separated into just 2 categories...those who changed their own oil, and those that paid someone else to do it. There were no "Jiffy Lubes" back then and if you took your car to the local gas station for an oil change, word would get around town fast...and there goes your man-card.

nburd

Reaction score
Been doing it myself for years now. Yes it’s a little messy but I know it’s done right. I can use the best premium oil, and it costs a whole lot less. At one point we had 6 cars, so it was getting Pricey. Some shops even use recycled oil! Most parts stores and Wally World now provide free disposal.

A previous broken dip stick, stripped 5.3 drain plug (that was not “their fault”, it was “worn out”) and finding a leaking oil filter that could be unscrewed with a finger (on a Hemi 300S) convinced me I can do better and know it’s done right. 30 minutes tops even if you make a mess.

My two boys now do the same and will enjoy money in their pocket rather that with the dealer.

BigD

Reaction score
I always go to the Ram dealer. I'd rather pay $50 & not have to save all the receipts in case of a warranty issue in the future. I paid $40,000 for a truck, I think I can afford oil changes. Not worried about trying to save $20 !! And yes I'm completely capable of changing my own oil. Did it all the time as a kid. So no, not worried about losing my "man card " 😂 if they strip the plug or overtighten the filter it's on them. I have the recorded proof that they were the last ones to change it. I see independent shops offering $20 oil changes. I would never have some pot head or tweaker touch my truck just so I could save a couple bucks !! Just my 2 cents.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did mine the first 3k change and threw on a fumoto plug. It was such a pain getting to the filter and getting a little oil mess that I have been bringing it to the dealer after that. It's worth the $60 for full synthetic and I usually have minor warranty issues to deal with every 8k or so, so I'd be going to the dealer anyways.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I look forward to doing oil changes, get to familiarize myself with the vehicle and spend time drinking beer in the garage. I've had the complimentary "free" change on my last two Rams and got overfilled both times

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here in Texas we have RamCare which provides two years of free oil changes (two changes per year free of charge). RamCare comes with every new Ram and works well provided you inspect your truck with a fine tooth comb as soon as they deliver it to you to ensure the junior, junior, junior guys with the thick glasses did it properly. I've had RamCare free on my last three Rams and it is a nice little bonus but have never renewed it as I'd rather to it myself to ensure it is done correctly.

During my RamCare experience with my three previous Rams, I have experience the following:

1. One oil change was a quart low...checked the dipstick fifteen minutes after they delivered the truck to me. I signed the paperwork, went to the restroom, grabbed a cup of coffee and walked the lot to give the oil time to settle. Showed the Service Manager and he made it right.
2. Popped the hood another time and found oil dripped everywhere. It looked like the lube tech had a seizure under the hood while attempting to get oil in the hole.
3. Popped the hood and found a Crescent wrench laying on the cover above the radiator - a Crescent wrench - WTF was that for!!! And hell no, I didn't return the wrench hoping they were out of them and would use a socket to properly remove the oil drain bolt/plug.
4. Dealer told me it was ready. I walked out, did my checks and as usual slid underneath to check the bottom side. There was oil dripped from the steering unit where they failed to clean any of it up (from removing the filter). And yes, I always take my creeper with me when I get it changed so I can check underneath - and recommend you do too.

Needless to say, I prefer changing my own and have done it after RamCare expires as I won't pay for bad service. However, it is free and if you are certain to check their work and ensure they do it all correctly then it isn't a bad deal.

BobK

Reaction score
I have a local mechanic that I trust completly. Family run and they are a client of mine (I take care of their IT needs) so they take care of me on price too. Haven't had to do an oil change yet, but they recommended every 4000k on the HEMI so that's what I plan on doing to take the best care I can of my new and first truck.

BigD

Reaction score
Here in Texas we have RamCare which provides two years of free oil changes (two changes per year free of charge). RamCare comes with every new Ram and works well provided you inspect your truck with a fine tooth comb as soon as they deliver it to you to ensure the junior, junior, junior guys with the thick glasses did it properly. I've had RamCare free on my last three Rams and it is a nice little bonus but have never renewed it as I'd rather to it myself to ensure it is done correctly.

During my RamCare experience with my three previous Rams, I have experience the following:

1. One oil change was a quart low...checked the dipstick fifteen minutes after they delivered the truck to me. I signed the paperwork, went to the restroom, grabbed a cup of coffee and walked the lot to give the oil time to settle. Showed the Service Manager and he made it right.
2. Popped the hood another time and found oil dripped everywhere. It looked like the lube tech had a seizure under the hood while attempting to get oil in the hole.
3. Popped the hood and found a Crescent wrench laying on the cover above the radiator - a Crescent wrench - WTF was that for!!! And hell no, I didn't return the wrench hoping they were out of them and would use a socket to properly remove the oil drain bolt/plug.
4. Dealer told me it was ready. I walked out, did my checks and as usual slid underneath to check the bottom side. There was oil dripped from the steering unit where they failed to clean any of it up (from removing the filter). And yes, I always take my creeper with me when I get it changed so I can check underneath - and recommend you do too.

Needless to say, I prefer changing my own and have done it after RamCare expires as I won't pay for bad service. However, it is free and if you are certain to check their work and ensure they do it all correctly then it isn't a bad deal.
WOW, in my entire life I've NEVER experienced anything like your describing. Must be a very unprofessional dealership! If I had to bring a damn creeper with me, I'd change the damn oil myself. Absolutely ridiculous!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
WOW, in my entire life I've NEVER experienced anything like your describing. Must be a very unprofessional dealership! If I had to bring a damn creeper with me, I'd change the damn oil myself. Absolutely ridiculous!
Agreed. I have the same two years of free oil changes and I‘ve had zero issues with my dealer.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. I have the same two years of free oil changes and I‘ve had zero issues with my dealer.
Finnegan CJDR of Rosenberg Texas - they're the closest dealer but also have the worst service department. I now go to Gillman CJDR and their service department has been stellar on oil changes. When I used to live in Webster, I always had great service from Clear Lake CJDR but now that is a haul from where I'm located.

JimD007

Reaction score
I change oil myself on my Ram and on my BMW convertible. The convertible got "free oil changes" for few years by the dealer and in that time, they must have cross threaded the plug at least a little because it was difficult to get out when I took over. The plastic cover over the plug also went missing. My mom had a car ruined when Walmart did not put oil back into her car. She had an extended warranty and they wouldn't help either. Walmart denied it, obviously.

While the dealership is more than capable of changing oil I am also confident the really skilled individuals do other things and they assign that task to the least skilled. They may use impacts (but shouldn't especially on an alloy pan).

The biggest reason I change my own is I can do it in less time than it takes to drive anywhere that will do it and back. I keep a 5 gallon container for the used oil and take it to a collection center when the container is full. They take old filters there too and the empty oil containers. I go there anyway to take my trash so it is just a little more stuff in the back of the pickup.

I gather than the filter is not easy on the hemis but the process on my V6 is the easiest I've experienced. I used to participate in a free oil change event at church and have thus changed quite a few different vehicles. But I can get to the oil plug of my Ram without raising it and the filter is right on top of the engine. I'm only 65 but getting up and down isn't as easy as it used to be but I can still handle it fine. I like to wear clothes around the house I can "get dirty" anyway so it's not a big deal. Walmart supplies the oil and I order filters on line.

I have no problem with people having somebody else do it for whatever reason but if you do, I suggest you check oil level before you drive off. You should also not assume they will change your oil more carefully or better than you would. You can definitely do it at least as well. But you will get at least a little dirty and a few tools are necessary. I use an extractor on my pontoon boat because I have no trailer for it and so I'm doing it while the motor is still in the lake. If you do that, you could stay pretty clean but you will need to be patient, the extactor takes an hour or more to get the oil out of my pontoon motor. With an extractor you can do everything from above.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Sadly, this matches my level of expectation here in north Texas.

I’ve seen a lot of shenanigans. I remember watching a dealership employee hop in a brand-new dually prepped for delivery and back it straight into another customer’s waiting car...10 feet from me.

A few such experiences served as a reminder that dealerships (especially high-volume dealerships) see so many fancy new vehicles roll through that they pay very little attention to one customer’s car. I can understand how easy it would be to become ‘jaded’ without great management.

It was a little different where I grew up (small town Midwest), but I think that’s because everyone knows everybody, sees them around town, at church, etc. There’s more accountability.

I handle routine maintenance, especially oil changes, even when the alternative is free.

redneck

Reaction score
our dealership has all the meth heads changing oil & tires . i had to have the tires rebalanced on my gmc & meth head 1 forgot to tighten the nut on the balancer machine & spun it up wheel came flying off meth head 2 tried to catch a 22" rim in the air that was spinning & broke his wrist . the rim hit the wall & messed it up bad had to wait 4 days for them to order a new rim. ugh . i do my own oil changes & tire rotation now

7 tires

Users who are viewing this thread