5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I know that I got a tow package?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. It changes the shift points so there is less shifting and keeps you in the power band. If you transmission is over heating you have other issues.

Drewster

Reaction score
Tell me about "Tow/Haul" mode. From the vehicle manual it says to use it all the time when towing. Does it keep the transmission from over heating?
It doesn't actually say that - it says to use it when the truck would shift under high load or unnecessarily. From the owner's manual:
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, push the TOW/HAUL switch to activate TOW/HAUL mode. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting.
Essentially, it stretches out the transmission's shifts. Less shifting means less wear on the clutches and less heat.
If the transmission is overheating because you're towing through the mountains and your transmission is shifting a bunch, yes it might help.
If the transmission is overheating but you're on flat road, no it will not help.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Trucks are now setup with driver comfort and fuel mileage first. The truck will attempt to make all shifts around 2000 rpm. Both for silence of the engine and best fuel mileage.
Thanks to everyone who uses a truck as a car...we get this style shift points.

But, people do still use the truck as a truck. And we get Tow/ Haul mode.

Tow/Haul mode is to be used more often than not. As stated above. In hilly areas...both for climbing the hill in the power band and for engine braking going down. With a load. A load is anything over 300lbs. And when towing.

The power in these HEMI trucks is at 4000RPM.

Tow haul puts the shift points to about 3000 rpm. It holds gears longer. And initiates a down shift sooner.

It keeps the engine up in the RPM range when going downhill to help slow the vehicle without using the brakes.

Now. If you are looking for fuel mileage while towing...you will want to skip tow mode. If you want the truck to feel ready to tow...you will want tow mode.

If you want the truck to feel like it is designed to tow and haul. You will want tow mode and select 4th or 3rd or even 2nd gear. Then the truck will be where the power is at all times.

JimD007

Reaction score
High tow ratings sound cool but if you do not have all the equipment to tow what you want to, having some of them doesn't do much good. My tradesman came with a class 3 hitch which in some literature is apparently described as a bumper hitch but I don't think that is an accurate description since it is clearly bolted to the frame. But my truck has the V6 and 3.21 rear end so it is rated to tow just under 5,000 lbs. That works fine for me. The class 3 hitch is consistent with that rating. Adding a class 4 would not do anything for me. I could use a brake controller and will add one if I ever want to tow a trailer that needs it. But I've had it almost a year and not towed anything yet (but I've used the bed a lot). If I have to help the kids or a friend move, I would rent a 6x12 U haul trailer but it has surge brakes so an electric brake controller wouldn't help with that either. I used to tow a lot but that was in large part because I didn't have a truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Class 3 hitch is the bumper. Every truck...including the HeftyDuty have it standard.

The class 4 allows the use of a ball mount with drop or rise.

But as said...having the class 4 is not a need for towing...as long as it isnt over 500 TW and 5000 trailer. But the class 4 is much more versatile

With a 2019 and 2020 you really lose some stuff if you got the tow package on a REBEL Laramie Longhorn or limited.

But the tradesman and Bighorn it was a cheaper way to get everything.

2021 should fix the loss of surround view power fold and heat...as the tow mirrors should include them now.

mikejones202

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I tried to find this if anyone else had this issue, but found nothing. I went to tow yesterday for the first time and find out the lights weren't working. Had everything all plugged in and connected and look under the bumper to find there is no wiring to the plugs. My truck has the trailer brake controller as well as the class 4 hitch. Did the factory screw up or do I not have the tow package?

Note: There is nothing that specifically says "trailer tow package" on my build sheet but I do have the 3.92 gears, class 4 hitch, trailer brake control, and tow/haul mode available to me in the truck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Drewster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I tried to find this if anyone else had this issue, but found nothing. I went to tow yesterday for the first time and find out the lights weren't working. Had everything all plugged in and connected and look under the bumper to find there is no wiring to the plugs. My truck has the trailer brake controller as well as the class 4 hitch. Did the factory screw up or do I not have the tow package?

Note: There is nothing that specifically says "trailer tow package" on my build sheet but I do have the 3.92 gears, class 4 hitch, trailer brake control, and tow/haul mode available to me in the truck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Take a picture of what you're referring to. The connector is next to the license plate.. If nothing is wired to the connector on the bumper, yeah, factory missed a step.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@mikejones202 as @Drewster says you should have the wires to the plug. Even the trucks without a tow package and no reciever hitch still have the wires.

Look to see if there is a round plug hanging near the rear bumper. The plug only goes to the lower 7 pin and the 4 pin is connected through the outside plug.

GABuilt2Serve

Reaction score
Trucks are now setup with driver comfort and fuel mileage first. The truck will attempt to make all shifts around 2000 rpm. Both for silence of the engine and best fuel mileage.
Thanks to everyone who uses a truck as a car...we get this style shift points.

But, people do still use the truck as a truck. And we get Tow/ Haul mode.

Tow/Haul mode is to be used more often than not. As stated above. In hilly areas...both for climbing the hill in the power band and for engine braking going down. With a load. A load is anything over 300lbs. And when towing.

The power in these HEMI trucks is at 4000RPM.

Tow haul puts the shift points to about 3000 rpm. It holds gears longer. And initiates a down shift sooner.

It keeps the engine up in the RPM range when going downhill to help slow the vehicle without using the brakes.

Now. If you are looking for fuel mileage while towing...you will want to skip tow mode. If you want the truck to feel ready to tow...you will want tow mode.

If you want the truck to feel like it is designed to tow and haul. You will want tow mode and select 4th or 3rd or even 2nd gear. Then the truck will be where the power is at all times.
Great information. I have the Tow / Haul feature and could not live without it. I haul a 6000 Lb boat on a 1700 Lb trailer. Tow / Haul makes all the difference.

JimD007

Reaction score
My hitch is what came with my tradesman and I think it is listed as a bumper hitch but it has a 2 inch receiver for a normal ball mount. I put one in it but decided to leave it out until I need it. The receiver is clearly bolted to the frame. I've always thought a bumper hitch was just a ball bolted to the bumper. That is not what I have.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My hitch is what came with my tradesman and I think it is listed as a bumper hitch but it has a 2 inch receiver for a normal ball mount. I put one in it but decided to leave it out until I need it. The receiver is clearly bolted to the frame. I've always thought a bumper hitch was just a ball bolted to the bumper. That is not what I have.
If you can add a ball mount. Which you said you can. Then you have the Class 4 reciever hitch.

So your truck either has the hitch added as a standalone option...or if you have the tow mirrors and trailer brake...as a package.

If you wouldn't have got the stand alone option or package...you would have what you described as a bumper hitch...and would just have the bumper and the hole for your ball.

JimD007

Reaction score
As you can see, I have a receiver hitch despite the fact that my truck is a Tradesman with no options other than the metallic paint. It also came with a spray in bed liner, however.

Attachments

• truck hitch.jpg
    truck hitch.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 65

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You got the tradesman quick order package most likely.

Or if you bought it new and it is not listed on your Build sheet or window sticker...then the dealership realized their mistake and put it on for the sale.

irishwake63

Reaction score
If the spot next to your tow mode switch is empty where the brake controller levers should be and you don't have tow mirrors, you don't have the tow group. The trailer brake controller is also seen in the cluster as you scroll through.
I have the tow group with controller, trailer light test, and reverse trailer steering and no tow mirrors

Users who are viewing this thread