5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I know that I got a tow package?

DragonFire

Reaction score
Both the salesman and office manager assured me that the truck had the tow package included. I thought it was strange that the truck did not come with an actual hitch.

Looking at the sticker now (I couldn't do it when I bought it due to the rain) I don't see anything like "tow package" except for one line saying "trailer sway damping" which is under Standard Equipment.

I assume I'd seen more. So how do I know if I really got one?

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Based on FCA Fleet Specs

Trailer-Tow Group — Includes Class IV hitch receiver, integrated trailer brake controller, 7 x 11-inch trailer-tow mirrors (AHC)

Granthol

Reaction score
Yep, the brake controller is the quick clue. Amazing how many salesmen think a hitch is a tow group.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@DragonFire do you not have a hitch? Do you have a tradesman or a Bighorn/Lonestar? If you have any of the others then you have bigger problems if you do not have a hitch.

If you do not have the hitch...you do not have the tow group. This is an issue if you are looking at Bighorn/Lonestar or tradesman.

And you can get the trailer brake controller without the tow group also. So that is not a dead giveaway. You can also add just the hitch...without the tow group

If you have a Bighorn or tradesman....you have to make sure you got the class 4 hitch.

The other trims come standard with it.

Looks like you learned the biggest lesson out there....do not trust salesman.

And the trailer sway dampening is standard on all trucks...it ia part of traction control/stability control...ESC

Last edited:

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can also get a class IV hitch without the tow group. It comes with lvl 2 equipment

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Use the build sheet link already posted to be sure. But you can get a class IV hitch without the tow group, but I don't think you can get tow group without a hitch.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i Don’t think you can get tow mirrors without the tow group, at least it was that way in 2019

vegaskeith

Reaction score
Unless you plan on towing upwards of max rating you will not need the tow group unless you need the crazy wide mirrors. As noted level 2, and a trailer brake controller. The standard mirrors are actually fine for most loads unless you tow a huge box. The 3.92 axle is also needed for tow tow ratings.

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
If you do not have the hitch...you do not have the tow group. This is an issue if you are looking at Bighorn/Lonestar or tradesman.

And you can get the trailer brake controller without the tow group also. So that is not a dead giveaway. You can also add just the hitch...without the tow group

If you have a Bighorn or tradesman....you have to make sure you got the class 4 hitch.

The other trims come standard with it.

Looks like you learned the biggest lesson out there....do not trust salesman.

And the trailer sway dampening is standard on all trucks...it ia part of traction control/stability control...ESC
How do you know if you have a class 4 hitch

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will tell you on the window sticker or your build sheet.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you know if you have a class 4 hitch
Go look at the back of your truck. If you just see the bumper. Then you do not.

If you see the square under it that you would put a ball mount in. Then you have it.

There are only 2 options. With or without. And this only affects tradesman and Bighorn/Lonestar.

Rebel Laramie Longhorn and limited all come standard with the hitch

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Go look at the back of your truck. If you just see the bumper. Then you do not.

If you see the square under it that you would put a ball mount in. Then you have it.

There are only 2 options. With or without. And this only affects tradesman and Bighorn/Lonestar.

Rebel Laramie Longhorn and limited all come standard with the hitch
Lmao I know what a hitch is but I thought a “class 4 hitch” was something different, I have a hitch the trailer brake control

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lmao I know what a hitch is but I thought a “class 4 hitch” was something different, I have a hitch the trailer brake control
Ok. Well. The ram has a class 3 which is just the bumper...only available on tradesman and Bighorn.

Class 4 is the receiver hitch optional on tradesman and Bighorn standard on the rest.

To get a class 5 you have to get a HeftyDuty

Lake Ram

Reaction score
If the spot next to your tow mode switch is empty where the brake controller levers should be and you don't have tow mirrors, you don't have the tow group. The trailer brake controller is also seen in the cluster as you scroll through.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of interest, I ordered my ram fourth of july '21 and got it middle of sept. There was not a tow package listed then, so I had to pick the hitch and brake separately. Now I see they have the package.

Ram_man

Reaction score
Tell me about "Tow/Haul" mode. From the vehicle manual it says to use it all the time when towing. Does it keep the transmission from over heating?

Users who are viewing this thread