5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How’s your 2019 Ram running? Take our poll!

Did any of the following systems function improperly, or require repair?

• Total voters

drsmitty74

Reaction score
After reading about your sunroof drain tube, I happen to peek between the cab and bed of the first 2019 I looked at while at my dealer today and what do you know? It was popped out exactly as you described. I didn't find any others but definitely something owners should look out for. Here's a shot from the passenger side:
View attachment 2661

When properly inserted you should not see any of the white drain hose on the cab side. The grommet should just look like a nipple with some of the drain hose protruding from it toward the bed.
My Limited 3/18 build is fine on both sides. Great info guys. Good to have this documented.

ChrisD

Reaction score
UConnect (without Nav) is set to convince my phone the truck is in Stirling Heights MI, just outside of the plant.

Rattle in the passenger side rear seat. It's pretty loud going over bumps in the national forest roads. I pulled off to figure out what was back there and then figured out it was the seat.

2019 Rebel trim package.

Edited to add: And I just found something else. According to my window sticker, I should have Power-Folding Mirrors. They just aren't there. This ought to be fun! Because if I paid for them, they should definitely be on the truck.

Last edited:

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
UConnect (without Nav) is set to convince my phone the truck is in Stirling Heights MI, just outside of the plant.

Rattle in the passenger side rear seat. It's pretty loud going over bumps in the national forest roads. I pulled off to figure out what was back there and then figured out it was the seat.

2019 Rebel trim package.

Any more detail on the rattle? We noticed the same thing this weekend. I haven't dove into it yet but will need to.

ChrisD

Reaction score
I have an appointment on the 11th to take it in to the service department to get it fixed. The driver side seat doesn't have this problem. It's tight when it's in the down position, but the seat back on the passenger side rear seat is just loose when it's in the down position. I'll try to remember to update when it comes out of service.

Probably just needs tightening.

Willjr4

Reaction score
Think squeaky brakes should be added to the list? Or do you want that in wheels/tires?
I am having the same issue took it back to the dealer I was told they needed to order parts to fix any idea if it's an ongoing problem?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noted a number of minor issues at delivery and have noted or addressed them as follows:
  • The RamBox lids needed a bit of adjustment, particularly on the driver's side. Done.
  • A couple of noticeable scratches were observed on a rocker panel and fender flare, along with smaller scratches on the tailgate, a RamBox lid, rear cab corners, and edges of the hood. I've removed the larger scratches (fender flare needs a bit more work with an orbital) and will get the microscratches when I detail the truck. Mostly done.
  • I need to move the rear clamps on the tonneau cover further to the rear to seal it up better near the tailgate. To-do list.
  • One tailgate cable is shorter than the other. I've seen this on many of these trucks...an odd issue. Ignoring for now.
  • We completed a work authorization request for the missing bed extender posts. Ironically, they had a Rebel with RamBoxes sitting right next to mine with the tailgate down, and it had them. Proof positive of the intent of the design. Almost stole them. To be supplied under warranty.
  • The front lower air dam was tattered at the bottom on both corners, probably from transit. Ours is a fixed part due to the air suspension, so it'll be an easy remove-and-replace. To be replaced under warranty.
  • I observed a few (very) minor interior leather defects on the door cards. The driver's side rear door armrest was the most noticeable. They've ordered a replacement. I'll inspect it and determine whether to keep the original or install the replacement. To be replaced under warranty.
  • Neither of the rear seats reclines. This one is really strange. The latches release properly (i.e. not the cables). It looks like the seat belt buckle straps are too short to permit movement. To be corrected under warranty.
  • I may have the body flex / "clunk" that others have been talking about, but it's pretty quiet and has only occurred sporadically. I think it's more likely to happen when I have the air suspension set to Off Road. I'll keep listening.
  • I found a very small "soft ding" at the bottom edge of the passenger front door while working on the scratches. In my opinion (corroborated by my wife), it's not even worth mentioning to the dealer.
So...we're getting there quickly. Fortunately for me, I have not encountered any issues with the drivetrain or anything mechanical/electrical (A/C, UConnect, etc.). I've had fun playing with the LaneSense and Adaptive Cruise Control settings. And I just passed 100 miles on the truck today, so I'm still VERY new to ownership :)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noted a number of minor issues at delivery and have noted or addressed them as follows:
  • The RamBox lids needed a bit of adjustment, particularly on the driver's side. Done.
  • A couple of noticeable scratches were observed on a rocker panel and fender flare, along with smaller scratches on the tailgate, a RamBox lid, rear cab corners, and edges of the hood. I've removed the larger scratches (fender flare needs a bit more work with an orbital) and will get the microscratches when I detail the truck. Mostly done.
  • I need to move the rear clamps on the tonneau cover further to the rear to seal it up better near the tailgate. To-do list.
  • One tailgate cable is shorter than the other. I've seen this on many of these trucks...an odd issue. Ignoring for now.
  • We completed a work authorization request for the missing bed extender posts. Ironically, they had a Rebel with RamBoxes sitting right next to mine with the tailgate down, and it had them. Proof positive of the intent of the design. Almost stole them. To be supplied under warranty.
  • The front lower air dam was tattered at the bottom on both corners, probably from transit. Ours is a fixed part due to the air suspension, so it'll be an easy remove-and-replace. To be replaced under warranty.
  • I observed a few (very) minor interior leather defects on the door cards. The driver's side rear door armrest was the most noticeable. They've ordered a replacement. I'll inspect it and determine whether to keep the original or install the replacement. To be replaced under warranty.
  • Neither of the rear seats reclines. This one is really strange. The latches release properly (i.e. not the cables). It looks like the seat belt buckle straps are too short to permit movement. To be corrected under warranty.
  • I may have the body flex / "clunk" that others have been talking about, but it's pretty quiet and has only occurred sporadically. I think it's more likely to happen when I have the air suspension set to Off Road. I'll keep listening.
  • I found a very small "soft ding" at the bottom edge of the passenger front door while working on the scratches. In my opinion (corroborated by my wife), it's not even worth mentioning to the dealer.
So...we're getting there quickly. Fortunately for me, I have not encountered any issues with the drivetrain or anything mechanical/electrical (A/C, UConnect, etc.). I've had fun playing with the LaneSense and Adaptive Cruise Control settings. And I just passed 100 miles on the truck today, so I'm still VERY new to ownership :)

Did you do the RamBox adjustment yourself and if so can you detail what you did?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you do the RamBox adjustment yourself and if so can you detail what you did?
Yes. And it's easy.

To begin with, there are four hex screws at each end of the lid: two 8 mm screws attaching the RamBox lid hinge to the truck (location "A"), and two 10 mm screws attaching the lid to the hinge (location "B"). See image below.

IMG_6776.JPG

Don't bother with (A); there's no play in those, and it appears there are rivets next to them as well.

However, if you loosen the 10 mm screws at location "B", you'll gain 1/4"-1/2" (or maybe more) of adjustment between the lid and the hinge at each end of the RamBox lid. In other words, you can adjust the RamBox lid inward (towards the bed) or outward (towards the exterior of the truck) a pretty significant distance.

This is not a 'miracle fix'. For example, the RamBox lid latch does not have any exposed adjustment. It looks like you could get to this by removing (5) pin fasteners in the vicinity of the latch mechanism, but who knows what else you'd get into after doing so. Mine is 'good enough' without digging into it further.

IMG_6777.JPG

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. And it's easy.

To begin with, there are four hex screws at each end of the lid: two 8 mm screws attaching the RamBox lid hinge to the truck (location "A"), and two 10 mm screws attaching the lid to the hinge (location "B"). See image below.

View attachment 4393

Don't bother with (A); there's no play in those, and it appears there are rivets next to them as well.

However, if you loosen the 10 mm screws at location "B", you'll gain 1/4"-1/2" (or maybe more) of adjustment between the lid and the hinge at each end of the RamBox lid. In other words, you can adjust the RamBox lid inward (towards the bed) or outward (towards the exterior of the truck) a pretty significant distance.

This is not a 'miracle fix'. For example, the RamBox lid latch does not have any exposed adjustment. It looks like you could get to this by removing (5) pin fasteners in the vicinity of the latch mechanism, but who knows what else you'd get into after doing so. Mine is 'good enough' without digging into it further.

View attachment 4394

Awesome - thanks for the write up and pictures!

Ciege

Reaction score
Hi all, new owner of a 19 Laramie. Just found this forum.

I have abut 350 miles and my issues thus far are:

1) usb system quit working. All usb plugs were dead. I found some loose fuses in the fuse box and reseated them all. Seems to have fixed that one so far.

2) leather on the front of the driver's seat isn't connected correctly. Looks to be an easy diy fix.

3) truck has stalled twice today. Both times while coming to a stop at a light. I heard a couple of dings then it stalled and required me to full stop and restart. Will be contacting the dealer on Monday to get that looked at.

4) had rough idle a couple of times just after starting up in the morning.

So far I'm a bit worried about this truck.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all, new owner of a 19 Laramie. Just found this forum.

I have abut 350 miles and my issues thus far are:

1) usb system quit working. All usb plugs were dead. I found some loose fuses in the fuse box and reseated them all. Seems to have fixed that one so far.

2) leather on the front of the driver's seat isn't connected correctly. Looks to be an easy diy fix.

3) truck has stalled twice today. Both times while coming to a stop at a light. I heard a couple of dings then it stalled and required me to full stop and restart. Will be contacting the dealer on Monday to get that looked at.

4) had rough idle a couple of times just after starting up in the morning.

So far I'm a bit worried about this truck.

Mine sounds like a 70s chevy in the morning. Start it up sounds like its about to die then revs back up then revs low again.. finally smooths out. Mine runs fine after that. I hope you get the stalling fixed. Mine has done that once in the parking lot. Once after the Auto Brake came on for no reason.

ChrisD

Reaction score
Quick update - the dealership service department checked the passenger side back seat and the source of the clunking is:

They forgot to install some part or other at the factory. Oops.

The dealership ordered the part, I'll leave the truck there overnight, then when I take my wife's Cherokee in the morning for an oil change and recall, I'll just drive the pick up truck home with (hopefully) most of the parts installed.

But what the heck, that's what warranties are for. :)

iceorphen

Reaction score
1 - Rough idle/start up in the morning after it rained a bit
2 - Front right turn signal intermittently going out, truck tells you this and blinks faster
3 - Notorious clunk sound/thud under left foot when turning
4 - Rear passenger chrome accent not aligned

pretzelogic

Reaction score
Hi All,
About to pick up new Longhorn. Ordered Aug 8, and at dealer Sept 7. Came in much faster than I expected. No E-torque or RAMBOX. Stopped by to take a quick look today before dealer opened and noticed odd grommet between cab and bed. Did a search here and see this has been an issue on several early builds and apparently still is. Thanks for all the posts as I wouldn't have known what this part is. The Big Horn on one side of my truck did not have them (no roof). The limited on the other side did and they appeared to be installed correctly. I'm hoping I don't find drenched carpeting when I inspect the interior. A bit unsettling on an obvious install defect. Has me worried on what else may be lurking.

Does this require the rear seat to be removed or simply re-seat the grommet from the outside? It is tight in the area it resides.

Pics of the grommets attached.

Long inspection before I drive away. Truck is gorgeous. Minor stuff is expected but not wet interior. Unfortunately its been raining here all week. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20180912_110417.jpg
    20180912_110417.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20180912_110536.jpg
    20180912_110536.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 156

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The out out just needs to be pushed back in like the 2nd picture.

travelerut

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my 2019 Limited with eTorque yesterday; and drove it about 60 miles until the battery and check engine lights came on. Nursed it to the dealer and dropped it off. They have no idea. They have opened a case with Chrysler apparently but, in the mean time, I'm driving my old truck.

Not feeling very confident in being on the leading edge but hopeful they'll get it figured out. That being said - overall fit and finish on the truck appear to be very nice.

I have a few UI issues with the infotainment system.

Why have a separate Mute and Power Off switch? I can't imagine a situation in which I'd want to turn off the big 12"ish display - since it controls all the other aspects of the truck. The power button should just mute the audio. The mute button does the job, but when you turn the truck on/off it forgets it was muted. I'm sure that's just personal preference.

Feeling a little like a kid that had his candy taken away though :)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only 39% said no issue! That is kind of concerning right

There are some concerning issues on a few trucks (like water entry) and a few irritating issues that will get resolved by Ram (like suspension clunk) but then there are also "issues" that could have been resolved by reading the manual. When you get a cross section of owners who are expecting perfection you'll get responses all over the map.
I'll be going over the truck in detail when I take delivery in a few weeks but I'm not worried. I highly suggest you review the "Trouble-Free Trucks" thread to get a balanced view:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/lets-hear-about-the-trouble-free-trucks.2022/

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only 39% said no issue! That is kind of concerning right
Numbers can help us make decisions, but it really important to put them into full context - where do they come from and what exactly do they tell us?

My short response to your comment @Mohab would be yes, it is concerning but we should consider a few things about that raw number as we decide what actions we should take. I will be inspecting my vehicle closely based on the big problems this forum has identified, and if I see them I will ask the dealer to fix them before I drive off the lot.

The good news is most of the big problems have identified fixes in the works (crossed fingers for the clunk) with the possible exception of weak AC which at least can be tested. So that’s how I am addressing my concerns on my way to hopefully being happy with my purchase.
- This is not a scientific poll, so the possible error range + or - identifying overall defect numbers in the fleet is large.
- Forums understandably collect a higher than average ratio of owners having problems as they seek solutions. Exactly how much higher we don’t know.
- The wording of this poll asks about any problem requiring a service visit... that means it collects many small problems in with the large ones. Determining which problems are the BIG ones is needed, and a bit of reading is required in addition to viewing the raw numbers.

Before joining this forum I may have glossed over the inspection or not known what to look for. I’m not expecting perfection, but I am expecting all issues to be fixed before I drive off the lot, and this forum has armed me with the knowledge I need to do a thorough, careful, and focused inspection. Given this approach, I think anyone would be much more likely to be a “Happy Camper.”

Users who are viewing this thread