5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hot Oil Flush?

vanislrammer

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change and through part of the purchasing deal I have free oil changes for 5 years. However, when I got to the service counter the guy at the counter said they recommend doing a hot oil flush to clean out any grime and build up.

Being a practically brand new truck I was pretty hesitant to do something like that. A regular oil change should be fine no?
On top of that, the cost was $260 plus tax.
So, I said no. But I’d be lying if I said it was a confident no.
Trying to find info on it seems difficult but from what I’ve read just on engines in general is that it’s not really necessary.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 83

sppb32

Reaction score
If you go by the oil monitor display on the Ram it will build up for sure, i've learned my lesson with my GMC Envoy it would go over 12K miles before the oil display reaches the 10% and at 100K miles i started having problems with the VVT sensor and actuator due to all the gunk build up in the engine, Thanks to Marvel Mystery Oil after 2 oil changes at 3K miles it was clean, i never believed in that stuff before but it works, last time i changed the oil it was still at 45%.

vanislrammer

Reaction score
I noticed that about the oil monitor as well. I typically do oil changes on vehicles at 8000-10000 kms (5-6k miles) but the display for the ram looks like it says you can go up to 13,000kms or more. Guess I’ll stick to my method and try to avoid needing any miracle oils! But good to know that’s an option should anything happen down the road.

saylor

Reaction score
go drive it for 30 minutes then tell them to change the damn oil.

its good and hot.

what a scam.

check their work too those turkeys.

i got free oil changes for life on a scion XB and had a travelling job where i drove nationwide. i bet i got more oil changes than what i paid for that whole car. those poor bastards.

saylor

Reaction score

wait a second.

is this a new truck?

id be in the GMs office tomorrow morning wanting my money back.

they hooked you like a salmon.

did they really add some BS aftermarket **** into your new truck?

is this a official dealership?

vanislrammer

Reaction score

wait a second.

is this a new truck?

id be in the GMs office tomorrow morning wanting my money back.

they hooked you like a salmon.

did they really add some BS aftermarket **** into your new truck?

is this a official dealership?
I didn’t do the hot oil flush so it’s all good.
I did add that fuel additive though but it was relatively cheap.

BigD

Reaction score
I didn’t do the hot oil flush so it’s all good.
I did add that fuel additive though but it was relatively cheap.
They always push those fuel additives to clean the injectors. I've never done it on any vehicle I've ever owned. I googled it & says it's a scam. Just another way for the stealership to make profit.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just did my first oil change and through part of the purchasing deal I have free oil changes for 5 years. However, when I got to the service counter the guy at the counter said they recommend doing a hot oil flush to clean out any grime and build up.

Being a practically brand new truck I was pretty hesitant to do something like that. A regular oil change should be fine no?
Trying to find info on it seems difficult but from what I’ve read just on engines in general is that it’s not really necessary.

This is TO FUNNY! What a crock of ****. Did they also offer to flush your BLINKER FLUID as well?

Buffchief52

Reaction score
I’ve been a mechanic for over 31 years, never heard of a “hot oil flush”= SCAM! That’s almost as big of a scam by a dealer as charging you money to put “nitrogen” in your tires! The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen; these dealers are being crooked, just trying to scam people! Don’t give them your money for anything.

broken_vet

Reaction score
It's good that you asked the question here, and hopefully feel more confident that you made the right call. I have a nephew who works as a service advisor at a CDRJ dealership, and he recently told me that his manager was telling them to push transmission service for the 8 speeds when they come in for routine maintenance. With dealer service departments, if it feels like bs, then it most likely is... For that matter, even it it doesn't feel like bs, it probably still is. IMHO, additives are nothing more than snake oil, remember Slick 50. If you don't already know about it, there's a channel on youtube called Project Farm, and he does comparisons on many different things. It's well worth the time to go through his videos. I would've saved money had I found the channel sooner. Same goes for this forum. Crazy amount of knowledge here.

Ramtrx

Reaction score

This is so bad it’s funny. Like asking for a rebar stretcher. Just so asinine

saylor

Reaction score

so , , , what dealer is it ?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unbelievable! I hope you don't feel anyone here was ridiculing you, It's just amazing that a dealership would offer any services like those! I second @saylor's advice - go talk to that GM immediately. If he doesn't call that service manager into his office right then, I would find another location as soon as possible

vanislrammer

Reaction score
Unbelievable! I hope you don't feel anyone here was ridiculing you, It's just amazing that a dealership would offer any services like those! I second @saylor's advice - go talk to that GM immediately. If he doesn't call that service manager into his office right then, I would find another location as soon as possible
This thread has been really helpful. Even if people were making fun of me, it just made me relieved I made the right decision by saying no. This is the first new vehicle I’ve ever bought so the initial reaction was that I was declining what the manufacturer was telling me to do. But on the service order I attached to the first post it actually says “manager” instead of manufacturer which is confusing. I guess you can’t depend on dealerships to have your best interest in mind even after you buy a new truck off them... thank god for forums like this!

Users who are viewing this thread