5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hot Oil Flush?

redneck

Reaction score
This thread has been really helpful. Even if people were making fun of me, it just made me relieved I made the right decision by saying no. This is the first new vehicle I’ve ever bought so the initial reaction was that I was declining what the manufacturer was telling me to do. But on the service order I attached to the first post it actually says “manager” instead of manufacturer which is confusing. I guess you can’t depend on dealerships to have your best interest in mind even after you buy a new truck off them... thank god for forums like this!
thats why they are called STEALERSHIPS always looking to fill their pockets with your hard earned money

rotts4u

Reaction score
I am amazed at how many different scams dealers come up with to rip. off their customers, Transmission flushes at 30K, injector cleaning, and now hot oil flushes. WOW thats a new one. I am not a mechanic but have seen the inside and piston tops and valves etc on many engine as well as oil pans removed. If the engine is maintained with quality oil (most all major brands are at least good some are maybe better than others) there will not be any gunk and grime etc. Thats what the oil filter is for. They act as if there is a cup of junk in the oil pan and there just isn't. When in doubt at the dealership ask them to show you in the factory manual where the service interval is or where it lists the service they are trying to sell you on.

Usually the trained service writer will say well its not in the manual but our experience is that its better or lasts longer etc if you do this and we are just trying to help you. And they wonder why we dont like using the dealerships. I do most all my own work including all fluids, brakes, plugs, filters etc etc.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This thread has been really helpful. Even if people were making fun of me, it just made me relieved I made the right decision by saying no. This is the first new vehicle I’ve ever bought so the initial reaction was that I was declining what the manufacturer was telling me to do. But on the service order I attached to the first post it actually says “manager” instead of manufacturer which is confusing. I guess you can’t depend on dealerships to have your best interest in mind even after you buy a new truck off them... thank god for forums like this!
We all have our moments of weakness and sometimes get caught off guard. Good on you to say no to this scam.

Cheers,

Keezer

Reaction score
I’ve been a mechanic for over 31 years, never heard of a “hot oil flush”= SCAM! That’s almost as big of a scam by a dealer as charging you money to put “nitrogen” in your tires! The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen; these dealers are being crooked, just trying to scam people! Don’t give them your money for anything.
Yep, next they will say they have to check the piston return springs, if they coil bind the engine may burp, lol.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just did my first oil change and through part of the purchasing deal I have free oil changes for 5 years. However, when I got to the service counter the guy at the counter said they recommend doing a hot oil flush to clean out any grime and build up.

Being a practically brand new truck I was pretty hesitant to do something like that. A regular oil change should be fine no?
On top of that, the cost was $260 plus tax.
So, I said no. But I’d be lying if I said it was a confident no.
Trying to find info on it seems difficult but from what I’ve read just on engines in general is that it’s not really necessary.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?
Did the guy at the stealership look like this guy? Was he saying "Take 'em raght off" while his buddy was screaming "SQUEAL! SQUEAL!"?
toothless-man-deliverance.jpg
Was this kid sitting out front?
5109fe1a-bd6c-5d35-8a65-ce7e1ab03489.image.jpg
Watch for a stray arrows around the service department.... Ned wasn't hanging around was he?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread