5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Rustydodge

Reaction score
If it was my truck, and i was as concerned about MPG as you, here's what i would do.
1) Start a Fuelly account. Hand calculate every tank. Compare vs truck computer
2) Verify trip meter is correct per the miles actually traveled (check vs googe maps or interstate mile markers, etc)

Whats the primary difference, MPG calculation wise, between 4th and 5th gens?
Answer: 4th gen standard tires were 33". 5th gen is 32"

What is different, MPG calculation wise, for a 5th gen rebel?
Answer: "33" duratrac tires instead of the standard 32" size. I've heard these may actually measure closer to 32"

5th gen computers may be more accurate than 4th gens. They also my calculate the listed avg MPG differently (more immediate vs a rolling avg) which may be why your idling average decreases so rapidly.

The lifetime avg hand calculated MPG for 4th gen rams = 15.5 MPG. This is 100s of trucks over 100s of thousands of miles. I'm getting 15.0 with 3.92 and heavier laramie and my computer is 10% optimistic. I would have expected your 2015 rebel to get similar hand calculated MPGs.

There could very well be something wrong with your etorque system....maybe it is putting a load/resistance on your engine constantly. It could also be an issue with your computer logic. With a 26 gallon tank you should easily be able to travel 300+ miles when getting 15 MPG.

Bram2019

Reaction score
My wife and I have both hand calculated it a few times now and it’s always pretty close. I average
9-12 MPGs. 12 on a good day. I use 89 and I’ve also tried to drive so conservatively that it’s no fun to drive the truck. I’ve tried Not using the E Torque also.
If I sit at idle for more than a minute in park my MPGs drop to the 8s
Honestly, I have a 1979 Trans Am with a 455 that gets better gas mileage.lol
I wish I would’ve kept my Laramie. These trucks are going to end up in a recall just like the 2008s-2012s.
Is this truck modified in any way. Tires, lift kit, etc?

OldSkull

Reaction score
If it was my truck, and i was as concerned about MPG as you, here's what i would do.
1) Start a Fuelly account. Hand calculate every tank. Compare vs truck computer
2) Verify trip meter is correct per the miles actually traveled (check vs googe maps or interstate mile markers, etc)

Whats the primary difference, MPG calculation wise, between 4th and 5th gens?
Answer: 4th gen standard tires were 33". 5th gen is 32"

What is different, MPG calculation wise, for a 5th gen rebel?
Answer: "33" duratrac tires instead of the standard 32" size. I've heard these may actually measure closer to 32"

5th gen computers may be more accurate than 4th gens. They also my calculate the listed avg MPG differently (more immediate vs a rolling avg) which may be why your idling average decreases so rapidly.

The lifetime avg hand calculated MPG for 4th gen rams = 15.5 MPG. This is 100s of trucks over 100s of thousands of miles. I'm getting 15.0 with 3.92 and heavier laramie and my computer is 10% optimistic. I would have expected your 2015 rebel to get similar hand calculated MPGs.

There could very well be something wrong with your etorque system....maybe it is putting a load/resistance on your engine constantly. It could also be an issue with your computer logic. With a 26 gallon tank you should easily be able to travel 300+ miles when getting 15 MPG.

Thanks for the reply, my truck does have a Drag to it. When I take my foot off the gas it’s like it’s in a lower gear. But I thght one of the the TSBs was intended To address the shifting Intervals.
What upsets me about it is, I actually bought this E Torque because it was supposed to help get better mileage.... It was advertised and Sold to me as a Gas Saving upgrade to The truck... and it’s not.
There’s quite few of us on this board are complaining about the Same issues with 9-13 MPGs being our averages.
I also have a 94 Bronco that gets better Gas Mileage than this...
However as a Daily Driver 13 MPGs pretty hard on the wallet.
I’m gonna give the updates a few months and as more complaints come in Ram will hopefully make a few updates for it.
If it’s stull the same next Fall I’ll trade it in for A jeep.
Thanks for the reply’s. I love the truck other than the E Torque and MPG issues.
I’ll set up a Fuelly account too and start tracking it. I’m really hoping as it breaks in to get close to 15.

Last edited:

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, my truck does have a Drag to it. When I take my foot off the gas it’s like it’s in a lower gear. But I thght one of the the TSBs was intended To address the shifting Intervals.
What upsets me most about it is I actually bought this stupid E Torque because it was supposed to help get better mileage.... It was advertised and Sold to me as a Gas Saving upgrade to The truck... and it’s not.
10 MPGs below advertised is a Lot.
Look at these threads. There’s quite few of us on this board are complaining about the Same issues with 9-13 MPGs being our averages.
I also have a 94 Bronco that gets better Gas Mileage than this...
However as a Daily Driver 13 MPGs pretty hard on the wallet.
I’m gonna give the updates a few months and as more complaints come in Ram will hopefully make a few updates for it.
If it’s stull the same next Fall I’ll trade it in for A jeep.

The update did remove a lot of drag. Do you have the maintenance record? Did you verify the 3 updates done were the 3 we've talked about? I'm not trying to be rude but some dealers are shifty and I don't know yours so I figure it's worth the ask. Additionally, have you called FCA Ram customer service? At the very least they document your issues And give you a file number. I contacted then in chat so if there was a difference between what my complaint was and what they documented I'd have proof of I needed it down the line. Other than that, I'd still talk to the dealer, or go to a different RAM dealer and try service again.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

Futta112

Reaction score
I had the three updates done. It helped for about two days. Truck is right back to **** gas mileage. And now, the transmission feels like it won’t shift down when coming to a stop. I’m at almost zero mph, and it’s still in 4th gear. Feels like I have to step on the brakes harder to stop.

Zinger

Reaction score
I had the three updates done. It helped for about two days. Truck is right back to **** gas mileage. And now, the transmission feels like it won’t shift down when coming to a stop. I’m at almost zero mph, and it’s still in 4th gear. Feels like I have to step on the brakes harder to stop.

They definitely reduced the amount of braking when coming to a stop. I noticed immediately that I actually had to push the brake down now. I still had the crosshatching on the rotors at 400 miles when they did my update!

Futta112

Reaction score
They definitely reduced the amount of braking when coming to a stop. I noticed immediately that I actually had to push the brake down now. I still had the crosshatching on the rotors at 400 miles when they did my update!

No one has spoke up about it feeling like that. Thought it was just me. Glad I’m not alone lol

Randy L

Reaction score
I have 700 miles on my 2019 e torque hemi with 3.92s 4x4.its getting g 9.5-10 mpg city and 13.5-15 highway,very disappointed! Didnt know about the TSBs so I will be taking to the dealer for updates. Anyone know what it would take to convert to 3.21s? Sounds like 3.21s would help fuel milage?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I noticed it stays on higher gears as I go to stop, or real slow too. Like, i approach a red light, but as I get to stopping, it turns green and I can proceed.

I watch my gears and its delayed.

But i dont feel anything, and in fact, I figured it was by design as a measure to save fuel, and thankful for it. I figured, the lower the gear, the higher rpm as I begin to roll again, and thus, uses gas. The higher the acceptable gear, i can ease on gas again, and the engine casually gets its way up the 2 or 3 to get back to high gear.

I understand too low of rpm in a certain gear hurts fuel, but i never deemed the gear it was in was any higher than what i would have been in had I been driving a manual.

Just me though.

Mikejonez22

Reaction score
I took mine in hoping there was a recall or update available.. no luck. Dealerships said its operating as intended.. 14mph highway, managed to get 17mpg city (no fun driving of course)

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.21 non e-torque with 1900 miles. This thread made me check my mileage today and its averaging 15.7 combined city/highway. I would think that something is wrong with e-torque getting less than that.

S

Smashy71

3.21 non e-torque with 1900 miles. This thread made me check my mileage today and its averaging 15.7 combined city/highway. I would think that something is wrong with e-torque getting less than that.
My rebel is getting 15 plus with non etorque. Sounds like the etwerk is falling short of claimed mpg

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rebel is getting 15 plus with non etorque. Sounds like the etwerk is falling short of claimed mpg
Yep, I test drove a limited with e-torque, bought one without. I viewed it as an extra item to worry about, plus it deleted Auto start/stop if I went without it. Hated that feature on my Ford before I tuned it away.

S

Smashy71

Yep, I test drove a limited with e-torque, bought one without. I viewed it as an extra item to worry about, plus it deleted Auto start/stop if I went without it. Hated that feature on my Ford before I tuned it away.

Not to mention the suitcase size potiental fire hazard lithium battery. That alone would make me paranoid.

Users who are viewing this thread