5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Craftman

Reaction score
Rebel etorque 5.7

2000 miles - city 13.8 -14-2 Highway 17 - 18 range.- My around town is mostly hilly - I might add zero problems with the truck.

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
I have 1k miles on my v8 etorque 3.21 gears and mix driving of highway and City to work and getting little over 17mpg. It does seem like my Eco mode does not kick in as much as I thought it would over 65-70mph it rarely lights up. Taking it on a 2 hour highway drive this weekend. I was amazed I got a 15mpg pulling my 24ft Yamaha ar240 at around 55-60mph on a 2 and half hour drive, it stayed in 6th and 7th gear! My 09 ram would do 10mpg pulling her.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have 1k miles on my v8 etorque 3.21 gears and mix driving of highway and City to work and getting little over 17mpg. It does seem like my Eco mode does not kick in as much as I thought it would over 65-70mph it rarely lights up. Taking it on a 2 hour highway drive this weekend. I was amazed I got a 15mpg pulling my 24ft Yamaha ar240 at around 55-60mph on a 2 and half hour drive, it stayed in 6th and 7th gear! My 09 ram would do 10mpg pulling her.
Your ECO will never kick in above 63-65 MHP (except when going downhill). Just an FYI.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your ECO will never kick in above 63-65 MHP (except when going downhill). Just an FYI.
I'm pretty sure my ECO light comes on (with 3.92 gears) at 70 mph (or even faster) on flat ground. But at higher speeds, it's very sensitive to terrain changes, headwinds, and even other vehicles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my ECO light comes on (with 3.92 gears) at 70 mph (or even faster) on flat ground. But at higher speeds, it's very sensitive to terrain changes, headwinds, and even other vehicles.
Glad to hear. For me it goes off once I get to around 63.

768mph

Reaction score
MDS will activate between 1000-3000 rpm in any gear and speed under light load.
I’m sorry if you were misinformed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
MDS will activate between 1000-3000 rpm in any gear and speed under light load.
I’m sorry if you were misinformed.
Not MDS. Eco, so it may be the source of the confusion.
While Eco will always come on when MDS is running, as far as I know, they are two different things. At least, it was this way on the gen 4 models according to people that have owned them.

I pretty much know that MDS will kick in under light load. However, once I reach around 63-65 MPH, Eco will turn off, and at that speed I am nowhere near 3000 RPM.

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just FYI I have the 3.92 with the V8 hemi no etorque and my average MPG is 13.4-13.6 always
I just noticed, we're all so used to new members not updating their sigs that we include redundant info in our posts. I catch myself doing it all the time... sigh.

Still bored with your truck @alacombe ? With that mpg, me thinks you're having at least a little fun! ;)

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just noticed, we're all so used to new members not updating their sigs that we include redundant info in our posts. I catch myself doing it all the time... sigh.

Still bored with your truck @alacombe ? With that mpg, me thinks you're having at least a little fun! ;)
Yeah kinda. Some days I like it some days its blah. I kinda want a wrangler lol

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had it on flat ground at over 70 and in tail winds over 75. When I watch the real time mpg readout, I don’t see much change when the eco goes on at speed.
Yeah kinda. Some days I like it some days its blah. I kinda want a wrangler lol
Methinks you like the chase more than the catch :unsure:

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not MDS. Eco, so it may be the source of the confusion.
While Eco will always come on when MDS is running, as far as I know, they are two different things. At least, it was this way on the gen 4 models according to people that have owned them.

I pretty much know that MDS will kick in under light load. However, once I reach around 63-65 MPH, Eco will turn off, and at that speed I am nowhere near 3000 RPM.
My Gen 4 Ram with the 4.7 V8 had an eco mode, but no MDS. I understood the two were fully integrated in the Hemi models, but correct me if I’m wrong.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had it on flat ground at over 70 and in tail winds over 75. When I watch the real time mpg readout, I don’t see much change when the eco goes on at speed
I see a pretty big jump...I’ll see if I can monitor how much today. I just haven’t done a lot of highway driving yet.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did an hour long stretch last night on a country highway doing ~65. I reset the computer before hand and it calculated 20.7 MPG. Slight hills here and there and very few stops. Realize it's the computer but since I just cracked 500 miles on it I'm quite pleased with this result so far. Eco light was on almost the whole time except when going up the hills.

Kidder

Reaction score
Fuelly in my sig with eTorque and 3.21s. Mostly city with a couple of road trips. I'm right at 5000 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My Gen 4 Ram with the 4.7 V8 had an eco mode, but no MDS. I understood the two were fully integrated in the Hemi models, but correct me if I’m wrong.
IDK. Going by other gen 4 owners experiences. Perhaps one that had both can chime in.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Averaged 21.8 on a 5,000 mile road trip just completed - 5.7 non-etorque, 3.21. This is per EVIC, I stopped hand calculating after the first couple of tanks when it seemed that the EVIC was in the ballpark. Much of this driving was 75-85 and a good bit in mountainous terrain, lots of climbing. On gentle terrain when crusing at 75 I saw the ECO light come on regularly.

Attachments

• Rambo Mileage 1.JPG
    Rambo Mileage 1.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 356

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Averaged 21.8 on a 5,000 mile road trip just completed - 5.7 non-etorque, 3.21. This is per EVIC, I stopped hand calculating after the first couple of tanks when it seemed that the EVIC was in the ballpark. Much of this driving was 75-85 and a good bit in mountainous terrain, lots of climbing. On gentle terrain when crusing at 75 I saw the ECO light come on regularly.
That’s a solid result. Congratulations on the new 5th Wheel Trailer.

768mph

Reaction score
Eco and MDS are totally unrelated.
Please explain the difference and source of information.
Seems many searches and responses have yielded confirmation of differences but no explanation. (Sincere)

Last edited:

tdwilli1

Reaction score
Eco and MDS are totally unrelated.

According to the regional technical support that I had my salesman contact when I wasn't seeing the ECO light come on this isn't true. As of 19 they directly correlate.

Users who are viewing this thread