5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrible Smell coming from The AC

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As Ramguy32 said, turn off recirculation and AC, but leave the fan on a few minutes before shutting off any car these days. It allows the system to dry and come to ambient temp. Condensation inside the system is what grows mold. I find it to be a recent problem, my late 80's to 00's cars did not do this

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
As Ramguy32 said, turn off recirculation and AC, but leave the fan on a few minutes before shutting off any car these days. It allows the system to dry and come to ambient temp. Condensation inside the system is what grows mold. I find it to be a recent problem, my late 80's to 00's cars did not do this
It's not a recent problem. The first car I owned with A/C, a 74 Chevelle S3 Laguna, had this problem. Many of the nearly 50 cars I've owned have had this. Some were worse than others, and it was usually on cars with higher mileage. I even remember my parent's cars having the same problem. Point is, it's not something new. Mold and mildew can grow anywhere there's moisture. I'm surprised car makers haven't done a better job of figuring out how to prevent this with the technology we have now.

RamGuy32

Reaction score
It's not a recent problem. The first car I owned with A/C, a 74 Chevelle S3 Laguna, had this problem. Many of the nearly 50 cars I've owned have had this. Some were worse than others, and it was usually on cars with higher mileage. I even remember my parent's cars having the same problem. Point is, it's not something new. Mold and mildew can grow anywhere there's moisture. I'm surprised car makers haven't done a better job of figuring out how to prevent this with the technology we have now.

Yes one appropriately placed UV bulb would take care of the issue...Just have it stay on for 5 minutes after the car stops to ensure it kills anything.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Came here to post about this issue. I replace my filter with a NAPA gold filter. It didn't fix it, though the old one was disgusting.

I shoved about a foot of drip hose down my condenser drain, No luck.

It's the small hose poking out on your firewall on the passenger side. fairly close to the engine.

is this the hose you talking about?
f6a21d3a5c4c5e712ca1ef878dc32820.jpg

Orion10182011

Reaction score
This happens to a lot of vehicles with "auto" environment controls. The evap coils stay wet due to how much the AC runs. There is cleaner you can get that will kill to mold off the coils.

Set your system to manual and make sure the AC is off and and the vent is on to let the coils dry to help keep this from happening again once you get it cleaned.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This happens to a lot of vehicles with "auto" environment controls. The evap coils stay wet due to how much the AC runs. There is cleaner you can get that will kill to mold off the coils.

Set your system to manual and make sure the AC is off and and the vent is on to let the coils dry to help keep this from happening again once you get it cleaned.

This can happen to any vehicle with AC, whether or not they have the auto setting. The evaporator and other parts of the system are actually below freezing when the AC is operating, attracting moisture. Which then freezes. Melting happens when you shut the vehicle or the AC off, resulting in water. This is where the problem occurs. If there was a system in place to dry this moisture up it wouldn't happen. At least car makers provide a place for this moisture to drain off. Like you said, running the system with the AC off will dry this moisture up you wouldn't ever have this problem. I'd just like to add that you need to let the system run with the AC off for a matter of minutes to dry things out completely. The amount of time needed depends on environmental variables such as relative humidity and temperature. If you live in a very dry climate you might never have seen this happen. I often notice it the day after driving in humid weather.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
This can happen to any vehicle with AC, whether or not they have the auto setting. The evaporator and other parts of the system are actually below freezing when the AC is operating, attracting moisture. Which then freezes. Melting happens when you shut the vehicle or the AC off, resulting in water. This is where the problem occurs. If there was a system in place to dry this moisture up it wouldn't happen. At least car makers provide a place for this moisture to drain off. Like you said, running the system with the AC off will dry this moisture up you wouldn't ever have this problem. I'd just like to add that you need to let the system run with the AC off for a matter of minutes to dry things out completely. The amount of time needed depends on environmental variables such as relative humidity and temperature. If you live in a very dry climate you might never have seen this happen. I often notice it the day after driving in humid weather.
I live in Central Arizona. It doesn't get less humid than that... and I still smell this crap everyday.
The dealer gave me a Grand Cherokee loaner, I have driven it for 3 days now, no problems at all...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I live in Central Arizona. It doesn't get less humid than that... and I still smell this crap everyday.
The dealer gave me a Grand Cherokee loaner, I have driven it for 3 days now, no problems at all...
Haha, which is why I said you might not have ever seen this problem. I lived in the Phoenix area for 2 years, and Tucson for 5 years. It does get humid there at certain times of the year. Can you say monsoon season? ;)

Ramtrx

Reaction score
My drain only drains if it isn’t on recirc. Also if it isnt on recirc and I turn ac off and run fan until it clears out the cold air, I’ll go back and start truck and it smells. Also live in az.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I think i found the solution!
A thicker filter with Activated Carbon!

It prevents from bacteria to grow on the filter, traps any bacteria particles and kills them before getting to the evap system.

I think the main issue with the OEM filter is that it lets too much air to flow and the HVAC system need to compensate for it by working extra hard to cool this air, that's why the evaporator has mold growing on it and it smells funky. This filter restrict some of the flow so it's not blowing as hard but it's more than enough.

My A/C smelled like crap the las few weeks and i thought, maybe a good high quality filter will do the trick. I used to get carbon filters for my explorer and never thought it would help with the Ram until i read about it, what it's for and everything. Bought the filter 3 weeks ago and my car smells amazing ever since. I always smell the air freshener when i open the door and especially when i start the truck, which was never the case, even when it didn't smell bad, it never smelled that good.

I recommend anyone with this issue to get this filter and try it. It's amazing!

frostymug

Reaction score
I think i found the solution!
A thicker filter with Activated Carbon!

It prevents from bacteria to grow on the filter, traps any bacteria particles and kills them before getting to the evap system.

I think the main issue with the OEM filter is that it lets too much air to flow and the HVAC system need to compensate for it by working extra hard to cool this air, that's why the evaporator has mold growing on it and it smells funky. This filter restrict some of the flow so it's not blowing as hard but it's more than enough.

My A/C smelled like crap the las few weeks and i thought, maybe a good high quality filter will do the trick. I used to get carbon filters for my explorer and never thought it would help with the Ram until i read about it, what it's for and everything. Bought the filter 3 weeks ago and my car smells amazing ever since. I always smell the air freshener when i open the door and especially when i start the truck, which was never the case, even when it didn't smell bad, it never smelled that good.

I recommend anyone with this issue to get this filter and try it. It's amazing!
what size for the 5th gen 1500?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone that uses automatic car washes make sure you turn your hvac fan off completely when going through the wash or your system will suck in water and soap causing the filter to become soaked and smell bad in no time at all.

frostymug

Reaction score
For anyone that uses automatic car washes make sure you turn your hvac fan off completely when going through the wash or your system will suck in water and soap causing the filter to become soaked and smell bad in no time at all.

Why does this happen with Ram? I’ve had a ton of other cars and this has never been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why does this happen with Ram? I’ve had a ton of other cars and this has never been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure, but the last time I took my truck through the wash I noticed it smelled like carwash soap for a few days after. I took my cabin filter out and it was soaking wet and multi coloured from the soap.

Bighorned

Reaction score
This time of year homeless Little People like to crawl into engine bays and even dash vents. That may be the smell.

Only joking but in all seriousness I have smelled windshield washer fluid before if I give her a good amount to clean bug guts off so I can see water or moisture getting into the cabin filter and causing an issue with a lot of water.

Charon

Reaction score
Anyone find a solution yet?
I back into my steep driveway it should drain out anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread