5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrible Smell coming from The AC

Big2019Ram

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a dry Mildew smell coming from their vents once the Ac is turned on? I have really been noticing it being very strong lately, but only when the AC is Blowing.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
It's a known problem with new FCA vehicles.
I traded my 2018 Pacifica because of that and my Ram did the same thing pretty much since day 1.
I visit the dealer every few months for this reason.
I actually went to the dealer to address this today and scheduled an appointment for next Friday. I will probably have them re-charge the system and clean the AC radiator from bacteria.
When my service adviser smelled it his reaction was so funny :D "Dude, IT SMELLS LIKE BUTT", His words.
I think the system is undercharged from the factory and that's what causing this issue.
Will keep you posted.

Big2019Ram

Reaction score
It's a known problem with new FCA vehicles.
I traded my 2018 Pacifica because of that and my Ram did the same thing pretty much since day 1.
I visit the dealer every few months for this reason.
I actually went to the dealer to address this today and scheduled an appointment for next Friday. I will probably have them re-charge the system and clean the AC radiator from bacteria.
When my service adviser smelled it his reaction was so funny :D "Dude, IT SMELLS LIKE BUTT", His words.
I think the system is undercharged from the factory and that's what causing this issue.
Will keep you posted.
Thank you so much and please DO. I will be taking mine in also and having them check it.

dano257

Reaction score
I had a previous car with that problem. The A/C condensation drain was blocked and it smelled terrible. After that was cleaned, after a day or two it was back to normal. When I ran the A/C there was no "puddle" under the car which was an indication that the drain line was clogged. Just a thought.

Charon

Reaction score
Came here to post about this issue. I replace my filter with a NAPA gold filter. It didn't fix it, though the old one was disgusting.

I shoved about a foot of drip hose down my condenser drain, No luck.

Now the next question would be how to drain the A/C condensation?
It's the small hose poking out on your firewall on the passenger side. fairly close to the engine.

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
IT SMELLS SO BAD!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This has been a problem for as long as they have been putting A/C in cars. There are methods for eliminating this. Here's one way...

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My VW golf had this problem really bad. I took it to the dealer under warranty and they cleaned it using ozone. I'd take it back to the dealer and have them clean it.

I have zero smells on my 2019

wwwhiz

Reaction score
I’ve had this issue on a VW Atlas, most recently. Ended up learning that I need to turn off the climate system/fan when running through a car wash. The high-pressure water and vapor saturate the system internally, leading to this unbearable smell in a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had this issue on a VW Atlas, most recently. Ended up learning that I need to turn off the climate system/fan when running through a car wash. The high-pressure water and vapor saturate the system internally, leading to this unbearable smell in a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Have not washed my truck for two weeks now. Smell still comes and goes... IDK... Doesn't look like this is the problem...

RamGuy32

Reaction score
I have the same problem and these are some of the issues that I experienced and a couple of things that helped.

1. As someone said above, NEVER go through a car wash with the fans on. It sucks moisture into the system and then doesn't dry unless you go for a long drive.
2. Turn off your AC about 2-3 minutes before you get home and let it dry out the system.
3. My problem was that I back down a fairly steep driveway so the front of my truck is pointed up. In the summer, I just have to pull in and allow the drain to stay downhill. When I would back in I never had condensation puddles under the truck. But when I pull down the driveway, I now get a good cup or two of water that runs out.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread