5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Garage Parking Suggestions

Triman11427

Reaction score
This is a noob question. I just got my Laramie this week and I pre-measured the truck's dimensions to make sure it would fit in my garage. Although I have 3"-4" clearance on either side with the mirrors folded in and 10" total clearance in length I'm wondering if anyone has a method for stress free parking. My garage is on the side of my house so I can't just pull in straight from the driveway. It takes a bit of maneuvering to get the truck lined so I don't hit the garage door frame. This house was built in 1963 so although its a 3 car garage there are poles inside the garage and 3 individual doors. I'm using the middle bay and I've tried both backing in and frontward as well. I'm looking for ideas to line up the truck if I choose either method and also an alert when I'm 6" from the wall because I really can't judge the front bumper yet.

Some, me included years back, would hang a tennis ball on a string from the ceiling so as soon as the windshield touched the ball you knew you couldn't go any further.

Too funny...we were typing the exact same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike!
That’s funny I literally just hung my tennis ball today to line up with the bottom line of the tint bar across the windshield . Stops me perfect Everytime . I also lined it up to be center with my ez pass so I have the same room left and right each time . Works fine for me 👍🏼👍🏼95497E62-2BD4-4054-8A34-AC1416EFCAD3.jpeg

i only have 2" total so i bolted a 6x6 down to the garage floor its a positive stop . i had the tennis ball but you could bump it & it would swing back & forth.

i had the tennis ball but you could bump it & it would swing back & forth.
Not sure I am following you on this one...if you hang the ball so its just hanging on a string at the correct length, and you pull your truck in slowly until the ball just touches the windshield and stop, I cannot anticipate anyone having issues with that method.

Not sure I am following you on this one...if you hang the ball so its just hanging on a string at the correct length, and you pull your truck in slowly until the ball just touches the windshield and stop, I cannot anticipate anyone having issues with that method.
i only have 1" in the front before i run in to the drywall & 1 " in back to clear the hurricane braces on the garage door no room for oops

i only have 1" in the front before i run in to the drywall & 1 " in back to clear the hurricane braces on the garage door no room for oops
Lol only a total of 2 inches to spare parking a pick up truck ... it may be time for a little bit of a bigger garage 🤣

I use my parking sensors to tell me when I am close to the front wall. When it shows the middle red light and it has a constant beep, I stop. I still have room to get around the front of the truck, but not the rear. Another idea that I use on my other garage door for 2 other cars is the Park-Daddy available on Amazon. It works great as it lets you know when your rear bumper has cleared the door opening.

I always back the beast into my garage.
Once I had it parked exactly how I needed it to be, I took a 2" roll of black Gorilla Tape and stuck it double wide, for 4 inches total, to the floor just outside the tires from front to back on both sides.
That gave me 4 inch wide black lineup lines on the concrete floor that I could see in the outside mirrors and the backup camera. Then watching the backup camera, I stop just short of the wall. The door goes down without issue.

If I was to park head-in, I would use the tennis ball on a string trick that the others have mentioned. My dad uses this method and it works for him.

Steve

Last edited:
I always back the beast into my garage.
Once I had it parked exatly how I needed it to be, I took a 2" roll of black Gorilla Tape and stuck it double wide, for 4 inches total, to the floor just outside the tires from front to back on both sides.
That gave me 4 inch wide black lineup lines on the concrete floor that I could see in the outside mirrors and the backup camera. Then watching the backup camera, I stop just short of the wall. The door goes down without issue.

If I was to park head-in, I would use the tennis ball on a string trick that the others have mentioned. My dad uses this method and it works for him.

Steve
I like this idea but not sure how long you made these “lines”. Could you post a picture? Thanks

As far as the Park Daddy or other laser lights I’m not sure how that would work backing into the garage. How would it be set up so the laser projects onto the truck where it would be seen If I want it to help line up the truck before committing to pull back. Even if I line it up without the laser I’m trying tp picture the laser on the dash or someplace to tell me when to stop before hitting the wall.

I actually used some big fender washers, couple screws and screwed a microfiber towel to the wall, my back bumper has to touch the wall in order for the garage door to shut.

This is a noob question. I just got my Laramie this week and I pre-measured the truck's dimensions to make sure it would fit in my garage. Although I have 3"-4" clearance on either side with the mirrors folded in and 10" total clearance in length I'm wondering if anyone has a method for stress free parking. My garage is on the side of my house so I can't just pull in straight from the driveway. It takes a bit of maneuvering to get the truck lined so I don't hit the garage door frame. This house was built in 1963 so although its a 3 car garage there are poles inside the garage and 3 individual doors. I'm using the middle bay and I've tried both backing in and frontward as well. I'm looking for ideas to line up the truck if I choose either method and also an alert when I'm 6" from the wall because I really can't judge the front bumper yet.
I’ve hit the wall a time or 2, no holes yet lol. I feel like I go about a foot after the red sensor comes on in the front, works for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back