5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hollow sounding drivers side rear door

Dep668

Reaction score
Anyone ever figure out if this could be fixed? Only my driver side rear makes the sound. Sounds like something vibrating.

Nibis

Reaction score
I believe the problem is the door outer sheet metal stamping vibrates when the door hits the body and latches. Put your hand in the middle of the area below the window, and keep it pressed there as you close the door - does it sound different? Mine does.

I'm guessing a design oversight, and hoping something like Dynamat Extreme fixes it.

My 1990's Sears washing machine has a special 'sound pak' option, which turned out to be rubber mats glued to the inside of the sheet metal box that is the washing machine. Makes a big difference: the panels don't vibrate when the laundry isn't perfectly balanced - thus my unjustified optimism such a fix will work.
You nailed it, you can actually see the skin vibrate back and forth.

Tones1975

Reaction score
You nailed it, you can actually see the skin vibrate back and forth.
When I close mine and hold the panel; it still sounds hollow. I notice that it looks as though it rebounds back on the latch quite noticeably. I really feel that mine is an issue with a sloppy door latch. I split a piece of clear fuel line I had laying around and put it over top of the part of the latch that's on the truck body and slammed the door; no hollow sound. Not at all sure that there is a permanent way to address this though, the plastic tube get chewed up right quick and also makes the door harder to close. I feel like it's a sloppy latch mechanism inside the door.

broman66

Reaction score
My drivers side rear door sounds like there's a loose speaker or window motor. Sounds cheap when you close it. I rarely slam the door, just try to give enough push to close it. I grind my teeth when people slam the doors. No reason for it. It's not a '73 Camaro with sagging doors. LOL

Tones1975

Reaction score
My drivers side rear door sounds like there's a loose speaker or window motor. Sounds cheap when you close it. I rarely slam the door, just try to give enough push to close it. I grind my teeth when people slam the doors. No reason for it. It's not a '73 Camaro with sagging doors. LOL
You know, it could be a loose component inside the door. Maybe I'll need to figure out how to remove the door panel and investigate; considering my dealership doesn't seem to be willing to. They say it's "probably the door latch and they'll let me know when there's a fix"........WTF

Sigep924

Reaction score
You know, it could be a loose component inside the door. Maybe I'll need to figure out how to remove the door panel and investigate; considering my dealership doesn't seem to be willing to. They say it's "probably the door latch and they'll let me know when there's a fix"........WTF
I can see the sheet metal vibrate but there's nothing vibrating inside the door. Just a hollow sound like no bracing.

speedracernc

Reaction score
anyone ever solve this problem? Mine sounds different. Dealer said they made an adjustment but didn't help.

broman66

Reaction score
I just noticed while windexing the glass that the glass is loose. I can rock it back and forth with my hand
I'll mess with my glass tomorrow to see if mine are loose too. I might see if the sound changes with the window in different positions. That would narrow it down to a window issue or maybe a loose speaker.

broman66

Reaction score
anyone ever solve this problem? Mine sounds different. Dealer said they made an adjustment but didn't help.
Not yet. At least I haven't narrowed it down to anything, but I haven't tried to pull the door off either. I'm hesitant to pull it apart without asking atund first or giving the dealership a chance to look at it. I was more interested to know if it is common or normal.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I took mine to the dealer regarding loose window glass and was told that it wasn't loose; doesn't seem loose anymore. Also had it in for a latch adjustment; I was told they adjusted it but then came to find that there is actually no adjustment in the latches. I've taken the door panel off and everything I can easily access inside the door seems tight. I even swapped the drivers and passenger side door catches on the body with no difference in the sound. I'm not sure what to look at next; I feel like it's the door latch needing adjustment but that doesn't seem to be possible. It's annoying but unfortunately I'm learning to live with it.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took mine to the dealer regarding loose window glass and was told that it wasn't loose; doesn't seem loose anymore. Also had it in for a latch adjustment; I was told they adjusted it but then came to find that there is actually no adjustment in the latches. I've taken the door panel off and everything I can easily access inside the door seems tight. I even swapped the drivers and passenger side door catches on the body with no difference in the sound. I'm not sure what to look at next; I feel like it's the door latch needing adjustment but that doesn't seem to be possible. It's annoying but unfortunately I'm learning to live with it.
It’s unlikely to be a door latch adjustment, that would imply the whole door is loose when closed. In my case, it seems to be the door skin vibrating, but will check the other good thought about window/regulator wiggle.

Quadfather2021

Reaction score
so i am hearing the same thing on my 2021 with 8 miles on it, the dealer looked at me like i was crazy then when i showed them they were like we dont know ........

dwalme

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Sounds like the door panel itself is resonating. Not enough internal bracing for the size of the door.

I highly doubt anything can or will be done to address it. It's really not that bad.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Sounds like the door panel itself is resonating. Not enough internal bracing for the size of the door.

I highly doubt anything can or will be done to address it. It's really not that bad.
Maybe apply one or two of these to the inside of the door:

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rear driver door does the same thing. You can actually see the door skin wave when the door is closed. I think it may be an easy fix by just installing a piece of sound deadener to the door skin inside the door. I haven't taken mine apart yet, but it's possible there's no internal door bracing that the skin normally gets glued to.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have the same issue on both of our family’s 2020’s (Laramie and a Lone Star). The dealer said it is a characteristic of the 1500 DT and even let us spend an afternoon choosing new DTs on the lot to test. All had the exact same rear drivers side door “issue” which is supposed to be normal.

The sales manager told me they would have noticed it at the factory during QC checks if it was an issue and rectified it. I gave him my best “yet another Service Manager who is full of crap and lies as well as the salesmen” look and thanked him for letting us at least try out about a dozen other Rams to learn is it common to the DT.

I can promise you this: A member on this forum will determine the cause and a fix long before FCA will do anything about it as they consider it to be a normal characteristic of the DT model.

Users who are viewing this thread