5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highway Tires On A Rebel?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I owned a previous gen Rebel and it never once saw any off-road use. It saw lots of dirt and gravel roads though. My main reason for buying it over a Laramie was the looks. On that generation Rebel, the main differences between it and any other Ram 1500 (with the ORG and air suspension) was looks, and a front skid plate. From what I've seen with the 5th generation Rebels, the main differences between it and any other Ram 1500 with the ORG are the looks and the shocks. It's only barely more capable than any other Ram 1500 with the ORG. So it stands to reason that highway tires would make the Rebel ride like any other Ram 1500.

Last edited:

toyboy1980

Reaction score
There are a number of A/T tires that make little to no noise. Highway tires would be sad on a Rebel
Yeah, they definitely won’t look as mean. These 10 ply tires are heavy as hell too. Got to looking today and didn’t realize how drastic the weight difference was.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, they definitely won’t look as mean. These 10 ply tires are heavy as hell too. Got to looking today and didn’t realize how drastic the weight difference was.
Yeah I just recently tried a set of 18” aftermarket wheels with some of the stock Rebel size tires. I went with Kanati Trail Hogs, they have a very similar tread pattern as the duratrac. I could definitely tell the difference in the 10ply tire as the ride was much harsher. And the tires were loud. Needless to say after less than a week I decided I couldn’t live with that set up and I couldn’t find a 275/70/18 tire that wasn’t E rated. So I went with a 20” wheel and a 275/60/20 size since there are endless tire choices in that size. Ended up with the Goodyear wrangler ultra terrain. Very aggressive looking tire but quiet and smooth riding on the highway.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I just recently tried a set of 18” aftermarket wheels with some of the stock Rebel size tires. I went with Kanati Trail Hogs, they have a very similar tread pattern as the duratrac. I could definitely tell the difference in the 10ply tire as the ride was much harsher. And the tires were loud. Needless to say after less than a week I decided I couldn’t live with that set up and I couldn’t find a 275/70/18 tire that wasn’t E rated. So I went with a 20” wheel and a 275/60/20 size since there are endless tire choices in that size. Ended up with the Goodyear wrangler ultra terrain. Very aggressive looking tire but quiet and smooth riding on the highway.
The GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC is also a LOAD RANGE E 10. Not sure why there would be a difference unless the PSI range is higher for the Kanati Trail Hogs.

Bdhays63

Reaction score
Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus is what I put on my 1500. They keep the look but ride excellent and no noise. Tread wear was great too and I had a lot of heavy towing miles. Loved them. If I hadn’t just traded my truck off for a 2500 I’d be getting them again when it was time. Sams club usually running a deal on them $80 off plus free install every so often.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC is also a LOAD RANGE E 10. Not sure why there would be a difference unless the PSI range is higher for the Kanati Trail Hogs.
I wasn’t saying there was a difference. I was saying I gave that set up a shot and definitely noticed the road noise and stiffer ride. So I can understand why some people don’t like the stock set up on the Rebels

edgarrian

Reaction score
There was a guy that changed his tires out b/c he thought he would get better MPG. If i remember correctly he didnt notice a change. Tire tread just isn't a big factor in MPG. Weight is and the rims are probably pretty damn heavy.

clazer

Reaction score
Spending $1000 to save maybe 10% on $2 gas is an interesting call, but your mileage will vary.

Kooch80

Reaction score
I think part of the looks of the Rebel is the more aggressive tire. A highway tread tire would look funny on a Rebel in my opinion.

ryco25

Reaction score
I think part of the looks of the Rebel is the more aggressive tire. A highway tread tire would look funny on a Rebel in my opinion.
This^ - I saw a current-gen red crew cab Rebel this week with stock wheels and highway tires and it was awkward and hideous in my opinion. Looked like it skipped leg day. The only rationale I could come up with is it was someone who bought a Rebel not understanding what it entailed, and then got fed up with the mileage and swapped out.

I personally don't find them loud at all, and the looks make it worth it to me. Mine are wearing rather quickly though; 28k miles and I am starting to notice they look in need of replacement, so I need to figure that out soon...

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a guy that changed his tires out b/c he thought he would get better MPG. If i remember correctly he didnt notice a change. Tire tread just isn't a big factor in MPG. Weight is and the rims are probably pretty damn heavy.

Mine is marginally better, going from the duratracs to the Toyo AT3s.
IIRC they're 2lbs lighter, slightly harder rubber IMHO, with a slightly less aggressive tread.
I wanna say I picked up a smidge under .5mpg in warmer temperatures, I wanna say .3 in winter driving.

I had a Gen 1 rebel and got to drive that on the same roads. MPG wise, wasn't crazy to see 12.5, 12.7, 13.5 in cold winters.
I haven't gone below 14.5 since going to a Ramair intake, magnaflow exhaust, and Toyo AT3 tire combo (stock size). I suspect next summer I'll break 16mpg in my rebel - I was close to it again, same roads, same driver, same driving style.
I get very little highway driving, the highway driving I get to do, usually has fast onramps, and moron coastal drivers. Not a ton of "Cruising!"
I'm very interested to see my "Roadtrip" mileage next year.
If I can break 20mpg on a road taken before, I would consider it a closed case, in my mind. Highway I've seen in the 19s. With the intake the engine "doesn't seem to work as hard at speed", throttle response is faster, etc etc.

Noise wise, the duratracs "are notoriously loud" some might say.
I never paid attention to tire noise, until I got the Toyo AT3s and tried to listen for it to tell people what I thought.
I've come to this theory:
- The duratracs might be a bit loud, ish, but it's a hum, and it's constant. It makes it hard to notice. I'm guessing you'd have to drive the truck back to back with a Rebel that has highway tires, and have a musicians ear to really pick it out. You'd have to listen for it.
Having driven the truck with them from stock, their noise signature might just sound like, "uhm, that's what the truck sounds like?"

- By comparison, the Toyos are inaudible under like 35mph. At 40mph, the noise signature shows up. When in MDS with the exhaust doing its job, the engine barely working, on a loud road surface at like 45, they howl. It's a higher pitch noise.
At higher highway speeds, add wind noise and exhaust note? Harder to hear at 67+

The duratracs have a very liveable sound, IMHO, I think that's why they were picked, amongst other qualities.
I would run them again, same with the Toyos, same with the BFG KO2s I had on the first Rebel. They're my top 3 favorite tires right now!

If you're trying to wring some MPG out of a rebel, willing to spend money and try stuff? BUT YOU DONT WANT TO TOTALLY WATER IT DOWN
Honest to goodness here's what I'd do.
- Do get a Ramair intake. There are opinions, people are free to disagree, I say get one.
Closed system, true cold air (not sucking in hot air from the engine bay), air flowing straight into the intake with a short distance to travel to the engine, (even more airflow at speed), it's a dry filter, mopar makes it, etc etc.

- Pick a better flowing exhaust than the stock trashcan unit designed to be quiet over everything else. chose your sound signature desired.
I like borla, but magnaflow's system has a 22in muffler that's great for those concerned with Wife opinions, and neighbors they like!

- Switch out to a more "pedestrian" A/T tire. The Duratracs are basically in between M/T and A/Ts. I think the BFG KO2s are probably a lateral move in terms of rolling resistance, you're trying to find a more "road" A/T tire. For me I tried the Toyo AT3s.
It kills me to say this, but in the interest of honesty, IMHO, the less aggressive sidewall, DOES make the truck look a smidge less aggressive. The less aggressive sidewall, also likely saved a little weight. IIRC these tires are 52lbs a piece, to the duratracs 54lbs, to the falken wildpeak's 1500lbs per side. (okay okay I think more like ~61ish but yes, I belive they're the heaviest :ROFLMAO:).

Would I put Highway terrains on a rebel? No. You could, but no.
The 4x4 unit in the rebel is the borg warner 48-12, vs the ORG's 48-11.
The 48-11 in 4Auto uses clutches for its system. Even in 4Lo (That can overheat, and IIRC did so to a member on this board) in heavy usage. Might never happen to most people!

The Rebel has a 48-12 that the tradesman has, an "old fashion" chain-drive. This is the system you want offroading in a Ram 1500, IMHO, which makes the rebel the best pick. (Then chuck in the stock A/Ts that IIRC are taller, factory lift, all the skidplates)
Only the rebel and the tradesman, at least at launch, had the 48-12 system.
Would I put H/Ts on that truck? Sure as hell wouldn't! :ROFLMAO:
You can get more roadmanners out of it without spitting in the truck's face, but everyone is free to do as they like with their own truck!!

Attachments

• RebelSept1a.jpg
    RebelSept1a.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 96
  • RebelSnow2020.jpg
    RebelSnow2020.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 97

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess it's just me but I don't think the Dura Tracs are that noisy.

I agree, they aren't that noisy, especially since they are not a true A/T. They are in reality between a A/T and more aggressive M/T. They have the more aggressive look of a noisier tire, but not as noisy, but they are louder than a normal A/T. I like the compromise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread