5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highway Tires On A Rebel?

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I realize this is probably a little sacrilegious for an off-road intended vehicle, but has anyone put straight up highway tires on a Rebel? I do zero off-roading. I’m curious if a highway tire would result in quieter/smoother ride, and/or improved MPG over the stock Duratracs.

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
I realize this is probably a little sacrilegious for an off-road intended vehicle, but has anyone put straight up highway tires on a Rebel? I do zero off-roading. I’m curious if a highway tire would result in quieter/smoother ride, and/or improved MPG over the stock Duratracs.

I was thinking the same, the road noise is horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I put Federals Couragias FX tires on mine and they are quieter than the stock ones, thought they are not a off road tire but more or less a street truck tire. I don't off road at all and even though I want a TRX, that is the only reason why I am not all over it. Kind of sacrilegious in a way to buy the ultimate off-road baja type truck and just hit of Costco every 3 days.

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
I put Federals Couragias FX tires on mine and they are quieter than the stock ones, thought they are not a off road tire but more or less a street truck tire. I don't off road at all and even though I want a TRX, that is the only reason why I am not all over it. Kind of sacrilegious in a way to buy the ultimate off-road baja type truck and just hit of Costco every 3 days.

What wheels do you run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Yeah but...what if there was a massive sand and dirt eruption in the Costco parking lot?!? You’d be good to go. Something to consider.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Yeah but...what if there was a massive sand and dirt eruption in the Costco parking lot?!? You’d be good to go. Something to consider.
LOL!! your right, ok I send in my deposit for the TRX. Not going to lie, if a upgraded TRX, like a Redeye version or something like that comes out in the next couple of years, yea I think I will be all over that.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Replace them with the same size in a highway tire and you'll be very happy. I just put Michelin Defenders 275/70 r18 on my Bighorn. Super smooth and quiet. My mileage went down slightly as these replaced the OEM 275/65 r18 passenger tires that come on the truck, 51lb. tire vs 40 lb. tire. That being said your mileage would probably go up coming from an off road tire

clazer

Reaction score
Basically any milder all terrain will be quieter than the factory Rebel rubber. Even my ridge grapplers are quieter and smoother. That said, I’ve always liked the Michelin LTX M/S. Had a set last 80k on my Silverado.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Curious - why did you buy the Rebel, an off road oriented truck as opposed to a Laramie or Sport?
I actually had a Bighorn Sport, but I just really like the looks and extra bells and whistles of the Rebel. Not saying that I’ll NEVER take it off-road, but it’s not what I do for fun like some other folks.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the factory Goodyear Fortitude HT tires and wheels which is Light Truck tire from my Bighorn and put the Rebel wheel and tires on my truck.

The truck was much quieter with the Goodyear Fortitude HT tires and about 1-2 MPG better.

The downside to the tires for me was the sidewall. Which did not hold up to the curvy road I live on. The Rebel Goodyear tires have a 10 -ply sidewall which does not roll with you on the windy curvy roads but it was a trade off for the MPG's.

RAM_Patriot-Front.jpg

The trade off was worth it for me, but everyones situation is different. :cool:

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes they absolutely do provide a smoother ride. I don't have a rebel but I've used many different highway/all season tires as well as AT/off road tires. NEXEN makes really good tires that have great wet traction as well as highway sailing, same with Michelin, Falken and Hankook.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually had a Bighorn Sport, but I just really like the looks and extra bells and whistles of the Rebel. Not saying that I’ll NEVER take it off-road, but it’s not what I do for fun like some other folks.
Makes sense...I would love to get a Rebel...even I only go off road like 3 times a year at most.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I don't have a Rebel and I don't go off-road, OK many a dirt/gravel road around here. But I do have highway tires and the ride is fantastic, no tire noise and better gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread