5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here’s a product I’d buy.... got a 3D printer?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is a docking solution that isn’t expensive. Seems small enough. Haven’t tried it though.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I let my Autodesk Inventor license lapse. Has anyone done an actual 3D print yet?
I have a few 3D Printers here and a CNC setup I haven't played with in years.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A member had posted a link to this a while ago and I was thinking of getting a paper clip or something to hold the cord in place between the slit in the holder and seeing if with the magnet it would make a connection easily. https://voltacharger.com/products/volta-2-0?variant=19534952562776#

What you guys are working on seems to be a much better solution!

I have something similar to that but it has Android and iPhone magnetic ends.
My new rig will have wireless charging (Android for me) and my work iPhone is not capable, so I'll have to see about what you all are talkin' about with the cable. The one image where the phone is upside down, is it not "allowed" to sit upright with the slot opening? Am I missing something? I know I have 2 cables (straight-through & a 90* tip) and the 90* more than likely wouldn't work.

Last edited:

69Sting

Reaction score
I have an idea of a design, but my CAD and Print guy (son) is very busy with organizers right now. Printer is going almost non stop. Hopefully in the next few weeks, we can design and print up a few prototypes to make available for market trial.
hmmm any tax accounts out there? can i deduct my truck as an education or start up business expense since it is a key item in my sons education and start up hobby business? 8)

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an idea of a design, but my CAD and Print guy (son) is very busy with organizers right now. Printer is going almost non stop. Hopefully in the next few weeks, we can design and print up a few prototypes to make available for market trial.
hmmm any tax accounts out there? can i deduct my truck as an education or start up business expense since it is a key item in my sons education and start up hobby business? 8)
Not sure about the truck, but you can deduct the cost of filament, software, any training courses or books, shipping supplies, and postage. Possibly the cost of the printer as well, either upfront or on a depreciation scale.

69Sting

Reaction score
Not sure about the truck, but you can deduct the cost of filament, software, any training courses or books, shipping supplies, and postage. Possibly the cost of the printer as well, either upfront or on a depreciation scale.

I was being a bit sarcastic on the truck deduction ;) Have thought about making his NN3D Prints into a actual LLC for deductions but until the organizer it wasn't doing much. Now it may be something to look into.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Trips/mileage to-from supplies, post office, transportation etc.... there are a few things that can help. I am no tax accountant; definitely will want to talk to one.

jmyler

Reaction score
Anyone make any progress on this? I came to these forums specifically for this haha. I have very poor design skills and a 3D printer but I can't really find anything out there that is a viable solution to this point.

Reaction score
My only gripe about the truck so far is that I’ve got to plug my phone in to use CarPlay. If someone with the right skills fashioned some sort of mount that’d hold the phone cable in the proper position under the right hand phone slot in the center console, allowing me to just plop my phone in there like a dock... I’d pay for that.

The wireless charger is nice, but being that I’ve got to connect the cable to use CarPlay anyway, it doesn’t get much use and I miss out on that convenience.

I’ve got a couple of ideas on how to do this, but I don’t think I could make anything that’d look as nice as someone with experience and the right tools might do.

I started looking into these... I hate plugging in my phone in my truck.

jmyler

Reaction score
Learned a lot from the first super rough draft. I thought I wanted it under the flap that supplies pressure to the phone but I just don’t know how you would ever be able to get the phone to dock in that small of a space. I think having it above it is the best option. Luckily there is a lip on the front side that provides good bite to keep it from pulling the unit out with the phone.
Will work on testing that theory later and have a part that protrudes from the bottom for more lateral stability and keep the back from rising.

447aa8585a5ea782ce0dc2d922b38813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Learned a lot from the first super rough draft. I thought I wanted it under the flap that supplies pressure to the phone but I just don’t know how you would ever be able to get the phone to dock in that small of a space. I think having it above it is the best option. Luckily there is a lip on the front side that provides good bite to keep it from pulling the unit out with the phone.
Will work on testing that theory later and have a part that protrudes from the bottom for more lateral stability and keep the back from rising.

447aa8585a5ea782ce0dc2d922b38813.jpg

If you have the .stl I'll print it in PETG and test it out as well.

jmyler

Reaction score
If you have the .stl I'll print it in PETG and test it out as well.

For sure would love some feedback. Let me get it a little closer to good though and I’ll post up the .stl. I have one going right now that should’ve ready to test out in a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online