5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here’s a product I’d buy.... got a 3D printer?

BmoreStew

Reaction score
My only gripe about the truck so far is that I’ve got to plug my phone in to use CarPlay. If someone with the right skills fashioned some sort of mount that’d hold the phone cable in the proper position under the right hand phone slot in the center console, allowing me to just plop my phone in there like a dock... I’d pay for that.

The wireless charger is nice, but being that I’ve got to connect the cable to use CarPlay anyway, it doesn’t get much use and I miss out on that convenience.

I’ve got a couple of ideas on how to do this, but I don’t think I could make anything that’d look as nice as someone with experience and the right tools might do.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Here's an idea I just threw together in CAD

Attachments

• 9249299F-45A2-45E5-BEF5-505D994D5F9D.jpeg
    9249299F-45A2-45E5-BEF5-505D994D5F9D.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 319
Reactions: A10

69Sting

Reaction score
My son does CAD and 3D prints. I will run this idea by him and see what he can think of. Pretty amazing what a 14yr old can imagine and design. He made an organizer for the bottom of the center counsel for me. 2019 Dodge center counsel.jpg

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I will accept this challenge. Have you done the full 3D render in CAD? I do have a 3D printer too.
:) I was kidding... I couldn’t do anything in CAD if you held a gun to my head. I could steal some of my son’s Play-Doh and make a 3D model with that, but he’s got his colors all mixed up... it’d look very 60’s psychedelic.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
:) I was kidding... I couldn’t do anything in CAD if you held a gun to my head. I could steal some of my son’s Play-Doh and make a 3D model with that, but he’s got his colors all mixed up... it’d look very 60’s psychedelic.
Hehe no problem! Easiest thing for me do would be 3D scan my interior. Which I was going to do anyway, for an interior mod I have planned.

(More on that later) ;)

From that starting surface, a little sculpting and voila!

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
Hehe no problem! Easiest thing for me do would be 3D scan my interior. Which I was going to do anyway, for an interior mod I have planned.

(More on that later) ;)

From that starting surface, a little sculpting and voila!
If you get this to work sign me up for the first production run lol. I'll even invest in the supplies if it comes to it.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Here's how I do mine. I bought a 6" 'Made for iPhone' cable, so it has the chip in it to allow the device to recognize it (thanks for the proprietary nonsense, Apple..), and just put the phone in upside down. This also makes it easy to use my thumb print to 'unlock' the phone, so that CarPlay will initiate.

Attachments

• IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_7039.jpg
    IMG_7039.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 232

69Sting

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Future engineer??

Yes a future engineer, probably the only 8th grader that doesn't get yelled at for being on his computer, always designing. If i told him you had a 3d scanner he would be totally jealous.

Kyle_1252002

Reaction score
Here's how I do mine. I bought a 6" 'Made for iPhone' cable, so it has the chip in it to allow the device to recognize it (thanks for the proprietary nonsense, Apple..), and just put the phone in upside down. This also makes it easy to use my thumb print to 'unlock' the phone, so that CarPlay will initiate.
Works great for Touch ID...not so much for Face ID though

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I did another CAD... This time 2 piece solution for easier install. Looked at the phone mount in the truck and I'm not sure that earlier design would work.

So far as how it'd hold the cable, because it has to be fixed... Can't slide up or down. I'd be comfortable just gluing the sob into the male half of the flange, but there's probably a better way

Attachments

• 3239BC57-4A1F-4E31-8B6B-3034A6FF7937.jpeg
    3239BC57-4A1F-4E31-8B6B-3034A6FF7937.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread