5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi transmission

DocBones

Reaction score
Anyone with a DT having transmission issue that is characterized by a buck at about 2-3 mph when slowing gently? I roll up to a stoplight, hitting about 2-3 mph and the truck bucks. If I am braking a little more firmly it doesn’t buck. I was gentle on the truck for the first 300 miles and it started at about 250 miles. I have 315 now.
1f914.png

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that on my second test drive...almost like it was trying to hold 2nd gear or torque converter lock until the last possible moment. Cause for concern?

DocBones

Reaction score
SpeedyV said:
I noticed that on my second test drive...almost like it was trying to hold 2nd gear or torque converter lock until the last possible moment. Cause for concern?
it’s just concerning because my wife’s Durango doesn’t do it (pretty similar setup) and it has a hemi with 8 speed too. Worries me that something is binding and will wear out prematurely.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thisnis something that's been going on with the 4th gen trucks as well since they put the 8 speed in them. Some trucks do it, some don't or their owners aren't as sensitive to it. I didn't notice it on either 2019 that I've driven but my 2016 does do it from time to time. There have been some software upgrades for the transmission to sort of mitigate the bump shift when coming to a stop, I'm sure they'll do the same for the 19s as well if it turns out to be a widespread issue. Some 4th gen owners swear it's fuel sloshing in the tank if you have the 32 gallon and it's below half a tank but I'm not so sure that's what it is.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate hearing this stuff. All this stuff should be worked out before releasing a car. First we have flexing hoods now a crappy transmission

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
...Some 4th gen owners swear it's fuel sloshing in the tank if you have the 32 gallon and it's below half a tank but I'm not so sure that's what it is.
This was clearly in the driveline. The only non-transmission issue I know of with similar symptoms is a driveshaft/pinion clunk at the rear end, but I wouldn't expect that on a new truck. I'm guessing this is just transmission programming, as you indicated.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SpeedyV said:
This was clearly in the driveline. The only non-transmission issue I know of with similar symptoms is a driveshaft/pinion clunk at the rear end, but I wouldn't expect that on a new truck. I'm guessing this is just transmission programming, as you indicated.
Prolly needs to be flashed when Chrysler releases one.

Twoamen

Reaction score
When my 2014 was new I read the forums. A lot reported feeling a bump. Never amounted to repairs as I best recall. Seems it was shift points/torque coordination or something. Supposedly they are learning transmissions, and will change as your driving habits change. Mine did once and awhile new then it was never noticed again. Now thats what I still remembered that's not foggy with 2019 new information.

nerdrock

Reaction score
I've noticed this once or twice in the 3 weeks and change I've had my Ram.

Conversely, my former '17 Silverado LTZ with their 8 speed did it ALL THE TIME. Before that, my '14 Silverado LT (6 speed) never did it.

My vote is also transmission programming.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
alacombe said:
I hate hearing this stuff. All this stuff should be worked out before releasing a car. First we have flexing hoods now a crappy transmission
But you got such a great deal so all is good.

DocBones

Reaction score
It bumps so hard almost every time when I come to a light or pull into a parking space, I think someone hit me from the rear and it freaks me out. I’m going from a 2010 to a 2019..

immersivenc

Reaction score
Definitely am curious to see if this is a cause for concern. My initial thought is probably not, I had a Toyota 4Runner that did this occasionally. Come to a stop light and after sitting for a moment then a clunk in the rear end. Felt like someone tapped the back bumper in traffic.

Twoamen

Reaction score
I just made a short trip and I noticed a bump on down shifting. It could be confusing and feel like someone bumped you. But my 2014 did it and it was irregular, like it was caught between shifts. I think it's all in the torque converter or the hydrostatic fluid pressure. Any how I had 44000 never a problem. This new truck is preforming profoundly well. A little light on MPG on old RAM I was getting 18.5 local. Hope it increases. I'd get dealer to checkout the truck. At least it's on record.

TampaRam

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Grand Cherokee that did it when new then magically went away, I had forgotten about it until my ram did it the other day as well. Hopefully it disappears as well
263a.png

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Mine does this as well, it’s definitely just a mapping issue from the feel of it. I wouldn’t sweat it.

NortherLee

Reaction score
I've felt "the bump" only once when coming to a stop on a very slight incline (railroad crossing). Have never felt it when driving while Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) was engaged. I will say that ACC accelerates and decelerates more assertively than my normal driving pattern. It seemed to me at the time that the transmission downshifted at least 2 gears.

jerret125

Reaction score
My f150 company work truck does this so bad it revs up to between 1200 to 1800 rpm as I come to a stop especially if I’m going slightly down hill. I’ve almost ran into a few gates that I pull up to

Ramloco

Reaction score
I lemoned my 14 and 16 Limited for the harsh downshifting. FCA bought both trucks back. I was hoping they fixed it with the 19's but I guess not. The problems been around since at least 2014 and they never fixed it. Chrysler Rep told me you ain't gonna like it, there is no fix. Oh well, guess I'll be buying a old a$$ Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online