5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Lawsuit May 2022 Discussion

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I was told by a mechanic friend(non-dealer) that the tapping at cold start was the hydraulic lifters just before the oil pressure builds enough to get oil in them. Usually happens more often if the truck sits for a couple or more days.
See post #38 above.

Reaction score
Percentage wise, the number of engines negativity effected by the "hemi tick" are low when you look at total production. I don't think I've personally known anyone who has to have their engine replaced, or had a cam live wiped from it, and I've been part of the Mopar community since before the modern Hemi was even in development.

Back 15 years ago, the biggest issue was the timing chain tensioners on the early 5.7s failing. I know a couple guys who had to get their timing chains replaced under warranty, and a few who pre-emptively replaced them to prevent issues.
2019 RAM 1500 w/ 133k miles developed a tick on startup around 75k. Truck is now sitting at dealership needing a new engine. Lifter & cam failure in cylinder 8.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 w/ 133k miles developed a tick on startup around 75k. Truck is now sitting at dealership needing a new engine. Lifter & cam failure in cylinder 8.
This post didn't age well, as a local friend has his truck in the shop now because of lifter failure. He thought it was just leaking manifold

Users who are viewing this thread