5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Lawsuit May 2022 Discussion

U

User_3336

Good thing those guys filing the lawsuit never rode in my 5.0 Gen 3 Coyote.
Why do you think I got away from that engine. Excessive oil consumption. Weird "scraping" in the engine on deceleration. the list goes on. they're direct injection now which will lead to more issues

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Why do you think I got away from that engine. Excessive oil consumption. Weird "scraping" in the engine on deceleration. the list goes on. they're direct injection now which will lead to more issues
Actually, their direct and port injection. Mine’s seen a pretty hard 25K so far with no issues. I had an LS2 before this. Talk about two different engines. Push rod with a lot of low end grunt, but ran out of steam at 6500 rpm. The DOHC is pretty gutless to about 4000 rpm, but it just keeps winding all the way to 7500 rpm. I actually enjoy both, but there’s nothing better than the exhaust note of the Coyote.

U

User_3336

Actually, their direct and port injection. Mine’s seen a pretty hard 25K so far with no issues. I had an LS2 before this. Talk about two different engines. Push rod with a lot of low end grunt, but ran out of steam at 6500 rpm. The DOHC is pretty gutless to about 4000 rpm, but it just keeps winding all the way to 7500 rpm. I actually enjoy both, but there’s nothing better than the exhaust note of the Coyote.
I was referring to before they went to direct/port.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
"According to the plaintiffs, the HEMI engines should last at least 200,000 miles and the valve train components should last more than 100,000 miles."

Wow..not sure i'd admit that out loud to the public. I intend to have my truck well passed 200k miles, but not if I need to replace the engine.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you drive like your grandma everyday and never jump on it or let it idle for more than 30 mins.

My SVT Cobra was also supposed to last x-miles as well .. but I liked to drive it (not like I stole it, but definitely enjoy it every day)!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"According to the plaintiffs, the HEMI engines should last at least 200,000 miles and the valve train components should last more than 100,000 miles."

Wow..not sure i'd admit that out loud to the public. I intend to have my truck well passed 200k miles, but not if I need to replace the engine.

The plaintiffs (the three knuckleheads filing the lawsuit) are making that claim, not FCA, the defendant.

Reaction score
I have the ticking every morning when I start up for about 5-10 seconds. Dealer told me it was "normal hemi behavior"
Haven't had any issues. I do make a point of letting it warm up in the morning for a minute or two...
I changed my oil and used pennzoil ultra platinum (can only be purchased online) with Mopar oil filter and haven’t heard it since.

Shives

Reaction score
Any oil additive the dealer recommends, like Z max? Audi/vw dealership is on board with them, and did suggest to use at one point. I know most are scamming, but wanted to check.

My hemi after sitting over night sometimes sounds like a rattle can for the first 2 seconds… sometimes now I’m getting throttle surge when first going. Don’t know if this is due to warm up idle being high, and TCM telling it that she’s in gear and drop rpm. 36k miles. Just bought truck out.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any oil additive the dealer recommends, like Z max? Audi/vw dealership is on board with them, and did suggest to use at one point. I know most are scamming, but wanted to check.

My hemi after sitting over night sometimes sounds like a rattle can for the first 2 seconds… sometimes now I’m getting throttle surge when first going. Don’t know if this is due to warm up idle being high, and TCM telling it that she’s in gear and drop rpm. 36k miles. Just bought truck out.

The manuals recommends that you don't use additives.

Screenshot_20220629-085206_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Any dealer that recommends additives in the engine is only doing so because they are getting kickbacks for selling said additives in the service department

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Audi is not on board with additives. My A4 owners manual specifically says not to use any additives. If your local Audi dealership is on board with them you might want to find another dealership.

Duran

Reaction score

Shives

Reaction score
Audi is not on board with additives. My A4 owners manual specifically says not to use any additives. If your local Audi dealership is on board with them you might want to find another dealership.
Tha k you for clearing that up! And glad I did not do anything dumb. Why I ask first.

Well, I hope to god that this law suit works out and folks with any future trouble are covered. I’m under power train still, so I’m wondering if anything I so do, or if I’m going to get the run around.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I have the ticking every morning when I start up for about 5-10 seconds. Dealer told me it was "normal hemi behavior"
Haven't had any issues. I do make a point of letting it warm up in the morning for a minute or two...
The owners manual actually says ticking upon startup is normal.
Page 409 from the 2022 manual:

"Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer."

Reaction score
People are just lawsuit happy. There is a similar lawsuit against GM for lifter failures allegedly from there dfm afm system (cylinder deactivation)

BigDsLimited

Reaction score
I was told by a mechanic friend(non-dealer) that the tapping at cold start was the hydraulic lifters just before the oil pressure builds enough to get oil in them. Usually happens more often if the truck sits for a couple or more days.

Users who are viewing this thread