5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Lawsuit May 2022 Discussion

ManchuWarrior

Reaction score
Figured since I didn't see a dedicated thread I'd make one.

Everyone see the latest class action lawsuit regarding the Hemi?

Bob.

Reaction score
2021 1500 is not on the list.
I guess they didn't have a complaint yet?

I wonder how many engines are defective?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I heard something like 10% will develop an issue, but not sure how they came up with that. However, my truck is 3 years old and no issues, though makes me wonder if I should always drive with the MDS off?

Bob.

Reaction score
Could be an oil related problem. some people don't change it like they should. Could be supplier issues with heat treating of various parts also. 1 push rod slips by over or under hardened.... I think It's really if you have rotten luck and get a bad one. GM has had a lot of issues also. I ran a oil catch can and programmed it to stay off on my Silverado. It worked for my last truck but maybe I wouldn't have had an issue either. If you got an extended warranty then just change your oil like you should, save the receipts and then don't worry about it.

With these computer driven trucks, an electrical / computer issue is more likely to happen than a mechanical break down.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think from what I read, it was some bad roller pins that will cause lifter issues over time, only a minority of the motors, but honestly not sure what is true.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Around 20k miles my 20 Ram developed the tick for a second or two on some startups. Not bothersome enough for me to take it to a dealer at that point, but I would have pushed to have it repaired under warranty if I had kept it that long. My 392 Challenger never made a peep through 12k hard driven miles, but it was a stick (no MDS) so I feel like that helped.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Percentage wise, the number of engines negativity effected by the "hemi tick" are low when you look at total production. I don't think I've personally known anyone who has to have their engine replaced, or had a cam live wiped from it, and I've been part of the Mopar community since before the modern Hemi was even in development.

Back 15 years ago, the biggest issue was the timing chain tensioners on the early 5.7s failing. I know a couple guys who had to get their timing chains replaced under warranty, and a few who pre-emptively replaced them to prevent issues.

Bob.

Reaction score
Around 20k miles my 20 Ram developed the tick for a second or two on some startups.
I've heard lifter tapping for a couple seconds on my Ram the other day on start up. Sounded like my 2015 Jeep with the 3.6 V6. Now that was a noisy engine! People claim they are great engines, but noisy. I never had issues with the 3.6.
Some people are just too sensitive to engine noises. If the tapping lifter sounds don't go away then you got trouble.

U

User_3336

alleged, alleges, allegedly

are used quite often in that class action..........

U

User_3336

I heard something like 10% will develop an issue, but not sure how they came up with that. However, my truck is 3 years old and no issues, though makes me wonder if I should always drive with the MDS off?
My truck has never seen MDS because I use the +/- buttons to turn it off every single time I drive.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It happens in non-MDS engines as well.

My suspicion is inconsistent hardening in the camshaft manufacturing process, but like most others out there I have no firm data. I'd need to accumulate a large sample.

rzims

Reaction score
I have the ticking every morning when I start up for about 5-10 seconds. Dealer told me it was "normal hemi behavior"
Haven't had any issues. I do make a point of letting it warm up in the morning for a minute or two...

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the ticking every morning when I start up for about 5-10 seconds. Dealer told me it was "normal hemi behavior"
Haven't had any issues. I do make a point of letting it warm up in the morning for a minute or two...
If you have ticking that goes away as the engine warms you have an exhaust leak (either a cracked manifold or broken bolt). That is not normal.

The only "normal" HEMI tick are the injectors, and that's always audible.

rzims

Reaction score
If you have ticking that goes away as the engine warms you have an exhaust leak (either a cracked manifold or broken bolt). That is not normal.

The only "normal" HEMI tick are the injectors, and that's always audible.
Crap! I'll look into this. Thanks for the heads up

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crap! I'll look into this. Thanks for the heads up
The other (very small) possibility is one or more of your lifters have complete leakdown....which corrects when the engine restarts. This is a normal condition IF your truck has been sitting for a long period, but if you use the truck daily they should not be leaking down to the point you hear any lifter noise at startup.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must be another reason the Hemi is going away in a couple years we were told.
We have at least 3 torn down each week at my place of work ..
BUT
the V6's are just as bad. I've replaced cams and lifters in more of those.

I'm still shocked they use pushrods .. but I guess so does the LS motors today as well.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must be another reason the Hemi is going away in a couple years we were told.
We have at least 3 torn down each week at my place of work ..
BUT
the V6's are just as bad. I've replaced cams and lifters in more of those.

I'm still shocked they use pushrods .. but I guess so does the LS motors today as well.
There is nothing inherently "wrong" with pushrods. OHC engines have their own issues, not to mention pushrod engines tend to be physically smaller (and in many cases lighter) for a given displacement.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I grew up and went to school back in the days rebuilding 350s .. so I know :)
But after getting my Cobra and swapping out the 4.6 for the 5.4 -- working on DOHCs is a great change! :)

Users who are viewing this thread