5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please!!!! About to buy my first dodge/RAM since my 98 Dakota

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
If nothing changes I’m about to purchase a 2019 ram limited with 22k miles for $48k. I was shopping for a used platinum f150 (2nd one) and I saw the ram and was blown away. I couldn’t afford a new one so I looked around for a deal on a used one. This one came up and it comes with a backflip tonneau as well. Am I getting a good deal? I am definitely buying a mopar maximum care warranty for $1750 5/100k but I just want to make sure I couldn’t do better getting new. What do y’all think?

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
If nothing changes I’m about to purchase a 2019 ram limited with 22k miles for $48k. I was shopping for a used platinum f150 (2nd one) and I saw the ram and was blown away. I couldn’t afford a new one so I looked around for a deal on a used one. This one came up and it comes with a backflip tonneau as well. Am I getting a good deal? I am definitely buying a mopar maximum care warranty for $1750 5/100k but I just want to make sure I couldn’t do better getting new. What do y’all think?

FOR ONE, i think you should read what ImageX JUST posted: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/disgruntled-but-purchased-anyway.10600/

I am in COMPLETE agreement about Extended Warranties. It is HARD enough to get a Manufacturer's 36/3yr to honor all the things that CAN/DO go wrong with even a NEW vehicle, i've seen them "wiggle out" of covering everything at one time or a another, LET ALONE an Extended Warranty company to do the right thing, and that hurts TWICE as much because those are usually super expensive. More often than not if you just put aside the money an extended warranty would cost,(each month in a separate Rainy Day account) you can fix something major IF it should go wrong, or you might not even keep the vehicle long enough to benefit for the original warranty to expire. You take a chance WITH one or WITHOUT one in my opinion, the odds are just about even....

And Secondly, i DO agree with Patsy, would need to EXACTLY what all is on it, and you should easily be able to get a window sticker, even if you pay the $7.99 thru here: https://monroneylabels.com/
Or, since its a 2019 the Moroney could still be floating around FOR FREE, sometimes its included up in left hand corner of the CARFAX, and sometimes you can even copy ANY window sticker link, paste YOUR vin in place of the RANDOM one and it will pull up...

Third, i've JUST come off the hunt of looking for the BEST deal out there because i traded a 2019 Ram for a 2019 Ram, and even WITHOUT knowing the options, i think 48K is too high for ANY 2019 RAM with 22,000 miles, even if its a Limited....The "resale of THAT vehicle with THAT many miles just plummeted around $3000-$4000 when it went over 5K miles. Also, too many unknowns on how the original driver took care of that truck from "break in to trade in", PLUS i have seen many 65,000 MSRP's discounted to $12,000 to even $15000 , and that's just "advertised price" so you KNOW there has to be "wiggle room" even then. No dealer advertises his rock bottom price!

I would do an EXTENSIVE online search, Autotrader and just pull up all new Limiteds in your area and see what the competition is offering, (and then deduct around $1500 -$2000 off of THAT price) even a DEMO with under 5K will save you a few thousand, but honestly i worry about those too! Look for one that has been sitting on lot a while, KN5XXXX or KN6XXXX would prolly get you a better deal, sometimes a dealer ordered a quirky build that just won't sell, he'll want that one GONE and will even sometimes "take a loss" just to get it to GO : )

And lastly, It is a fair price, but not a good price, not a GREAT price & def not a "KILLER" deal which i ALWAYS suggest people go after...But usually the "better the deal you get", the MORE work you have to invest in "finding it", so decide that & then good luck!

(I hope you weren't looking for a "simple YES or NO" cuz i failed you BIG TIME... lol)

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FOR ONE, i think you should read what ImageX JUST posted: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/disgruntled-but-purchased-anyway.10600/

I am in COMPLETE agreement about Extended Warranties. It is HARD enough to get a Manufacturer's 36/3yr to honor all the things that CAN/DO go wrong with even a NEW vehicle, i've seen them "wiggle out" of covering everything at one time or a another, LET ALONE an Extended Warranty company to do the right thing, and that hurts TWICE as much because those are usually super expensive. More often than not if you just put aside the money an extended warranty would cost,(each month in a separate Rainy Day account) you can fix something major IF it should go wrong, or you might not even keep the vehicle long enough to benefit for the original warranty to expire. You take a chance WITH one or WITHOUT one in my opinion, the odds are just about even....

And Secondly, i DO agree with Patsy, would need to EXACTLY what all is on it, and you should easily be able to get a window sticker, even if you pay the $7.99 thru here: https://monroneylabels.com/
Or, since its a 2019 the Moroney could still be floating around FOR FREE, sometimes its included up in left hand corner of the CARFAX, and sometimes you can even copy ANY window sticker link, paste YOUR vin in place of the RANDOM one and it will pull up...

Lastly, i've JUST come off the hunt of looking for the BEST deal out there because i traded a 2019 Ram for a 2019 Ram, and even WITHOUT knowing the options, i think 48K is too high for ANY 2019 RAM with 22,000 miles, even if its a Limited.... Too many unknowns on how the original driver took care of that truck from "break in to trade in", PLUS i have seen many 65,000 MSRP's discounted to $12,000 to even $15000 , and that's just "advertised price" so you KNOW there has to be "wiggle room" even then. No dealer advertises his rock bottom price!

I would do an EXTENSIVE online search, Autotrader and just pull up all new Limiteds in your area and see what the competition is offering, even a DEMO with under 5K will save you a few thousand, but honestly i worry about those too! Look for one that has been sitting on lot a while, KN5XXXX or KN6XXXX would prolly get you a better deal, sometimes a dealer ordered a quirky build that just won't sell, he'll want that one GONE and will even sometimes "take a loss" just to get it to GO : )

(I hope you weren't looking for a "simple YES or NO" cuz i failed you BIG TIME... lol)
Yes and no, it depends on the options on the truck vs what you want. For example, my non-e torque, non level 1 limited 4x anti-slip with a 26 gallon tank and no tonneau or mats set me back $58. If yours was a 33 gallon, level 1, with tri-fold and e torque thats, hmm, 3k + 500 + 750 + 2K more in value ($6,250) than my truck, so 58 + 6 = $64K and you are wanting to pay $44. Thats $20K off and not bad. I mean no one generally knows how a vehicle has been cared for other than a Carfax or the dealer FCA service records. All used vehicles are a crap shoot. I’d guess a Limited hasn’t been abused as much as a Sport could have been.

Now if you don’t have the options and theres no service history, or a sketchy one, then perhaps its not such a good deal. Little Miss said she has seen 12-15K off Limiteds, I never did, (wish I had) and I looked for several days online. So it boils down to is it the truck you really like and is the financing good, as well as any little help on 3 free oil changes or whatever?

Lastly, if its a factory warranty extension (like so many talk about), instead of some 3rd party exclusion-filled contract, that’s fine. Just don’t get the 3rd partry type.

So, despite Lil Miss and I being a tad different on what we think about this deal, continue a search online for a day and let your emotions cool a bit, then see.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Hi Work! Definitely agree factory extended is BETTER than 3rd party, but still a crapshoot imho : ) And here i pulled up the first one i saw &, its over 12 off.... I'm in Texas, i think they are cheaper due to southwest rebates but not sure : ) There are a lot of GREAT deals out there even better than this but like i said it takes work to find them, they don't "jump in your boat" lol

Last edited:

Lize

Reaction score

BlckDT

Reaction score
Good luck on the truck hunt. We definitely should get more info on what options are on the truck. If you know the VIN let us know, it’s an easy looky up from there to find the window sticker.

As for the warranty... I will also suggest to stick with a Mopar Genuine MaxCare plan. It sounds like that is what your after. But in case you need more cost research check out https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

You can save $365 off any plan with promo code PAYINFULL. So your 5yr/100K plan get to about $1585.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Lil Miss, is that truck used? It says “well maintained” in the comments, I didnt see any miles.
Of course used would be much more heavily discounted, I thought you were saying 12-15 off on a new truck...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Good luck on the truck hunt. We definitely should get more info on what options are on the truck. If you know the VIN let us know, it’s an easy looky up from there to find the window sticker.

As for the warranty... I will also suggest to stick with a Mopar Genuine MaxCare plan. It sounds like that is what your after. But in case you need more cost research check out https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

You can save $365 off any plan with promo code PAYINFULL. So your 5yr/100K plan get to about $1585.
The 5/100 means just extending from the in-service date, right? It’s not adding 5 years to the 3/36. In that case he’d be spending $1585 for just a 2 year extension of time. Most people run out of time vs miles...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If one has the coin I still like the ext warranty (factory only) from RAM. I saw too many Ford Edge threads about their poorly designed TPU (look it up sometime) and those that had the ext. warranty got the part and labor paid for just from the 1 claim. ($1600 average TPU cost).

BlckDT

Reaction score
The 5/100 means just extending from the in-service date, right? It’s not adding 5 years to the 3/36. In that case he’d be spending $1585 for just a 2 year extension of time. Most people run out of time vs miles...

You are correct. I only had the Lifetime plan which they no longer offer.

—-|||RAM|||-—
Phil

sent from my mobile device

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The lifetime plan must have cost FCA too many claims. I’m still well within my 12 months for the less costly factory extended (I hear/read it goes up a couple hundred more after 1 yr old), so I have time to decide. Of course prices just recently went up 5-10%, like this last week... so... The 12” nav unit alone is worth the cost of the warranty to me.

I realize they are a big moneymaker and I haven’t read many posts or threads about how well FCA covers things. I did read about the guy on “disillusioned” who didn’t keep his oil change receipts (parts) to prove his maintenance. Thats sad but having an insurance background I can tell you if the contract says “this has to be done”, then that’s the way they will adjust it. There’s very little “goodwill” with an insurance company. I’ve seen it but not often at all (usually only very big clients or very long term insureds, like 30+ years).

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
This might be worth a read:
Lil Miss, is that truck used? It says “well maintained” in the comments, I didnt see any miles.
Of course used would be much more heavily discounted, I thought you were saying 12-15 off on a new truck...

No don't think so, Willwork, that's a standard caption that they put on all their new cars, even put it on their Trackhawk and i doubt that's a demo... That's a pretty legit dealer, we actually JUST bought one from them (my hub's 2019 4x4 and it stickered at 54240 and we paid 42390+ttl : ) i didn't buy mine from them tho, because they required a down payment to order, and my local dealer did not
: )

Trust me when i suggest looking for those heavy discounts i wouldn't suggest it to send ppl on a "wild ram/goose chase" if i didn't experience these discounts first hand. Of the 5 trucks i narrowed it down to before deciding to get the ordered one that came in that i bought just TWO days ago, i had a "Buyers Order" for each and everyone of them, and they DO NOT give you that UNLESS they are prepared to honor it, and all of them were at least 11,000 discounted but the trucks i were looking at highest sticker was 55030... On a 65+ truck, they have more room to play, and if you negotiate like i do a 20-25% discount is possible on certain units : )

Last edited:

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score

Third, i've JUST come off the hunt of looking for the BEST deal out there because i traded a 2019 Ram for a 2019 Ram, and even WITHOUT knowing the options, i think 48K is too high for ANY 2019 RAM with 22,000 miles, even if its a Limited....The "resale of THAT vehicle with THAT many miles just plummeted around $3000-$4000 when it went over 5K miles. Also, too many unknowns on how the original driver took care of that truck from "break in to trade in", PLUS i have seen many 65,000 MSRP's discounted to $12,000 to even $15000 , and that's just "advertised price" so you KNOW there has to be "wiggle room" even then. No dealer advertises his rock bottom price!

I would do an EXTENSIVE online search, Autotrader and just pull up all new Limiteds in your area and see what the competition is offering, (and then deduct around $1500 -$2000 off of THAT price) even a DEMO with under 5K will save you a few thousand, but honestly i worry about those too! Look for one that has been sitting on lot a while, KN5XXXX or KN6XXXX would prolly get you a better deal, sometimes a dealer ordered a quirky build that just won't sell, he'll want that one GONE and will even sometimes "take a loss" just to get it to GO : )

And lastly, It is a fair price, but not a good price, not a GREAT price & def not a "KILLER" deal which i ALWAYS suggest people go after...But usually the "better the deal you get", the MORE work you have to invest in "finding it", so decide that & then good luck!

Anyone can get a link to a trucks window sticker by doing this little trick I discovered while shopping for my 19 Limited. Put your VIN right after the "=" at the end of this link NO SPACES then copy and paste it into a new browser tab/window. I did this with every unit I was interested in and it worked every time. It really helped speed up the shopping process. Here's the link .....

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=

$48K is not a bad deal on that truck but keep looking for a few days so you don't have buyers remorse. I paid $57750 for my $66k truck. There weren't a whole lot of rebates at the time. They say end of summer is the best time to buy new, lots of rebates.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
You need to be in the car buying service business girl. Who needs AAA or Sams club/Costco when they can take yourself along? (y) ;):p

lol that's NOT the first time i've heard that : ) ty : )

But to make an argument for the other side, i know some people are not willing to go thru THAT much, they just want a "decent deal, fair amount of discounting" and they are happy to be on their way. If Oncehadadakota is that type of shopper, he will be very satisfied with 48K if his truck is everything he wants... For ME personally, it will "keep me awake" if i don't feel i squeezed every red cent out of the dealer, but i know not everyone is like that....lol : )

Last edited:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Anyone can get a link to a trucks window sticker by doing this little trick I discovered while shopping for my 19 Limited. Put your VIN right after the "=" at the end of this link NO SPACES then copy and paste it into a new browser tab/window. I did this with every unit I was interested in and it worked every time. It really helped speed up the shopping process. Here's the link .....

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=

$48K is not a bad deal on that truck but keep looking for a few days so you don't have buyers remorse. I paid $57750 for my $66k truck. There weren't a whole lot of rebates at the time. They say end of summer is the best time to buy new, lots of rebates.

yes, i mentioned that above, : ) BUT sometimes if the window sticker has been "taken out of Moroney's free data base" due to car marked as SOLD, the only way is to pay the $7.99 : )

another "quick shopping tip" is to "enter the options (EXACTLY spelled how they list them) u are looking for and your city state in a google search and lots of vehicles fitting your EXACT description will come up near you : ) For example pick the one item you must have, the color make model year, your city state : "2019 1500 laramie rambox cargo management diamond black houston texas"......

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Hi Work! Definitely agree factory extended is BETTER than 3rd party, but still a crapshoot imho : ) And here i pulled up the first one i saw &, its over 12 off.... I'm in Texas, i think they are cheaper due to southwest rebates but not sure : ) There are a lot of GREAT deals out there even better than this but like i said it takes work to find them, they don't "jump in your boat" lol
View attachment 27070
Where they get you is that they list EVERY rebate available in the price even though nobody qualifies for every rebate. Then when you sit down after getting all hot on the truck they hit you with the reality. For example based on your ad pic, not in the military??? scratch that $500 rebate off the price. I did my homework and figured out every rebate I qualified for so I knew what to scratch off the list. Dealers sometimes hate prepared buyers but I counter that by finding the unit I want first then telling them "this is going to be the easiest sale you ever made" I even pre-qualify my financing. I request an out the door price, if I like the number I go in person for a quick test ride. If all goes well I give them my finance info, qiuckly tell the upsell dept I don't want your $1000 wax job and I roll out in my new ride.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
yes, i mentioned that above, : ) BUT sometimes if the window sticker has been "taken out of Moroney's free data base" due to car marked as SOLD, the only way is to pay the $7.99 : )

another "quick shopping tip" is to "enter the options (EXACTLY spelled how they list them) u are looking for and your city state in a google search and lots of vehicles fitting your EXACT description will come up near you : ) For example pick the one item you must have, the color make model year, your city state : "2019 1500 laramie rambox cargo management diamond black houston texas"......
My stickers still in the database and I purchased mine 9/18. I wonder why they would waste their time removing those stickers

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
No that isn't so, as they are required BY LAW to list the selling price/ then the rebates EVERYONE qualifies for, THEN separate from "Sale Price including rebates" they are to show "Conditional Price" and that will include all of the rebates...(military/loyalty etc)

But be warned, IF they have put dealer add ons of ANY sort, they are not obligated to disclose that UNTIL they give you a Buyers order, they are only required in the fine print to say a quick statement about MSRP does not includer Dealer Add ons... But most of those you can tell them to keep (unless its window tint...lol)

Users who are viewing this thread