5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me pick a new vehicle for my wife please!

ktl5005

Reaction score
Unless you're doing some real off roading...I'd stay clear of the trailhawk....otherwise you're paying an extra 10k just for off road features you'll never use. Just my $.02.
I got it because of the style and the Quadra drive 2 system. Killer in Nepa snow storms. It was either that or the overland. Same price

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got it because of the style and the Quadra drive 2 system. Killer in Nepa snow storms. It was either that or the overland. Same price
Yea that makes perfect sense...but this guy was saying they don't go off road or any of that so wouldn't make any sense to buy something made for off roading

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
We were going to go with the Grand Cherokee for my wife but then we saw the front passenger safety rating (very bad) and decided against it. Also, with the redesign coming out soon it will look dated quick. We picked up a Lexus NX and she loves it. The GX and all the other Lexus are real nice also of course.

ktl5005

Reaction score
We were going to go with the Grand Cherokee for my wife but then we saw the front passenger safety rating (very bad) and decided against it. Also, with the redesign coming out soon it will look dated quick. We picked up a Lexus NX and she loves it. The GX and all the other Lexus are real nice also of course.
The new design won’t hit lots until next year and it’s supposed to be an evolution of the current one. The current design still looked amazing in my book.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I hear ya...my girl didn't want anything bigger than a Rav4 or Ford edge size. She said the GC was too big for her and we heard too many horror stories about the Cherokee 9 speed transmissions lol.
That 9spd is 50% of why we are trading it in. Even though this year is after the first few years that had all the issues, the transmission still sucks. It acts like a CVT, never knows what gear to be in, the converter slips like crazy with any sort of hard acceleration. Also, we are on motor #2 already, covered by warranty thankfully, but still not confidence inspiring. I would not recommend a 2.4L/9spd combo for anyone...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That 9spd is 50% of why we are trading it in. Even though this year is after the first few years that had all the issues, the transmission still sucks. It acts like a CVT, never knows what gear to be in, the converter slips like crazy with any sort of hard acceleration. Also, we are on motor #2 already, covered by warranty thankfully, but still not confidence inspiring. I would not recommend a 2.4L/9spd combo for anyone...
Ugh yeah...FCA really screwed up the Cherokee. GC is nice though! I always wondered if the 9 speed transmission was also causing damage to the engines in the Cherokees...

Nibis

Reaction score
Yeah, that 9spd kinda sucks. My wife and I both had 2017 Cherokee Trailhawks, never had any problems with the trans, just hated it's quirks. Other than that, great SUV, went anywhere with confidence. I needed a truck though and couldn't pass up the deals they had. She still has hers and loves it, she calls it her little tank

Yogi217

Reaction score
My wife loves the durango rt. I like it too, so when i have to drive it, it's no problemo. One badass three row family ride. Turn on sport mode, turn off eco, turn off traction control and let the hemi have fun!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

rlc2020

Reaction score
So, we went a completely different direction. She wanted a larger vehicle and a usable 3rd row so we went with a Buick Enclave. It's not an off roader for sure, but extremely comfortable and a bargain compared to what we were considering. We had a deal on a new durango and they kept jerking us around on the price so we walked, it's too bad that the local CDJR dealer down here is shady, I'll have to drive a bit farther for service on my truck now.
Thanks for the advice.

115979020_326403358490773_6365452679757317580_n.jpg 115913779_3215920661778575_8776421198777354920_n.jpg

ktl5005

Reaction score
My wife loves the durango rt. I like it too, so when i have to drive it, it's no problemo. One badass three row family ride. Turn on sport mode, turn off eco, turn off traction control and let the hemi have fun!

I LOVE my wifes 2018 Durango RT. Got some Blastin Bob's resonator deletes. It is a fun SUV

Yogi217

Reaction score
I LOVE my wifes 2018 Durango RT. Got some Blastin Bob's resonator deletes. It is a fun SUV
That's awesome. We are thinking of using our Drive Mastercard points to put the mopat cat back on it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, we went a completely different direction. She wanted a larger vehicle and a usable 3rd row so we went with a Buick Enclave. It's not an off roader for sure, but extremely comfortable and a bargain compared to what we were considering. We had a deal on a new durango and they kept jerking us around on the price so we walked, it's too bad that the local CDJR dealer down here is shady, I'll have to drive a bit farther for service on my truck now.
Thanks for the advice.

View attachment 64121 View attachment 64122
Looks nice....Buick version of the Chevy Traverse. I read that GM was going to phase out Buick, guess they changed their minds. Personally I can't stand GM now but hopefully that Buick will be issue-free

Yogi217

Reaction score
Agreed. Nice setup!

My coworker has that same one and she loves it!

ktl5005

Reaction score
That's awesome. We are thinking of using our Drive Mastercard points to put the mopat cat back on it.

That’s a good unit but pricey. A lot of people run Gibson units. I just did the Resinator Deletes from Blastin Bobs and it’s perfect...

turkeybird56

Reaction score
My wife has a 2018 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4cyl and 45k miles on it. We are looking to upgrade to something bigger and with more power for her. Our original plan was a 4 door wrangler since she loves them, but we are now opening the doors to some other options. We looked at a Grand Cherokee today and it was very nice. I suggested a charger and she seemed open to the idea, but there are none available at any of the local dealers up here in CT for her to test drive.

We are moving to florida in a month, so we may make this purchase down there. Also, 4wd is not a necessity for this vehicle. I have my Ram for towing the boat so a car would be fine really.

What do you guys think? Charger R/T rwd is my first choice. 3.6 charger would be my second choice. You guys have any more suggestions? anything to be weary of with a Grand Cherokee or a charger?

The new Durango RT's for 2020/21 R sharp and multi-purpose

Yogi217

Reaction score
That’s a good unit but pricey. A lot of people run Gibson units. I just did the Resinator Deletes from Blastin Bobs and it’s perfect...

Loved that! Just played it for my wife while she is watching her show and she just shook her head...

ktl5005

Reaction score
Loved that! Just played it for my wife while she is watching her show and she just shook her head...

She didn’t say no. Lol. Look them up. Blastin Bobs. Multiple options from mild to loud, that one is on the mild side.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

View attachment 64121 View attachment 64122
Nothing wrong with that purchase. Those Enclaves are nice. I think they will give good value for you guys.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Thanks, She loves it so that's good enough for me, plus it's gorgeous inside. Since she will never ever take it off road or put the pedal to the floor then an R/T durango or a Trailhawk GC made little sense, those were just for me really. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife went and looked at a Hyundai Palisade Limited yesterday and fell in love. You get a lot of value for the money. She's been looking for a few months trying to decide what she wants and has looked at a bunch of SUVs of all makes, models and trim levels. She said that in her opinion the Palisade Limited is by far the best bang for the buck on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread