5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me pick a new vehicle for my wife please!

rlc2020

Reaction score
My wife has a 2018 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4cyl and 45k miles on it. We are looking to upgrade to something bigger and with more power for her. Our original plan was a 4 door wrangler since she loves them, but we are now opening the doors to some other options. We looked at a Grand Cherokee today and it was very nice. I suggested a charger and she seemed open to the idea, but there are none available at any of the local dealers up here in CT for her to test drive.

We are moving to florida in a month, so we may make this purchase down there. Also, 4wd is not a necessity for this vehicle. I have my Ram for towing the boat so a car would be fine really.

What do you guys think? Charger R/T rwd is my first choice. 3.6 charger would be my second choice. You guys have any more suggestions? anything to be weary of with a Grand Cherokee or a charger?

Boston

Reaction score
You’re treading in a Florida swamp trying to buy her a new car with your preferences.

You are moving, bet the jeeps in FL are rwd. Cheaper to.

Make a call whether it’s worth selling her car before the move rather than shipping it and selling. You have plenty on your plate already with the move. Keep a car car purchase off the agenda.

And let her decide the next set of wheels.

rlc2020

Reaction score
trust me, she will get the final say in what she drives. She just has no idea what she wants yet so I'm making some suggestions. I'm probably selling her jeep to my local dealer and purchasing after we get to FL to eliminate having to transport 2 vehicles down there.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Get her what she likes but don't be afraid of the Grand Cherokee. I started with an '11 Laredo X 4x4....bought a '14 Limited RWD for my wife......sold the '11 last year and bought me a '19 Limited 4x4. Between the 3 of them I've had two problems. The passenger seat belt retractor on the '11 jammed and was replace free of charge out of warranty. And I just had a passenger door latch replaced on the '19 because it was sending a signal the door was ajar. I've offered to get the wife a new one but she loves that '14 gold color they don't have anymore and she won't turn it loose. I've got the Lifetime MaxCare on it so I guess I'll keep it a while.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My spouse has a 2019 Grand Cherokee and we love it! We have the Altitude model and it is nicely equipped for the price. The 3.6L is a decent engine for it...it really moves!

bdm219

Reaction score
If she loves the off road capability of the Wrangler, but wants luxury too....look at the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk..they come optioned pretty nice and they're fully capable off road. I had one before my Ram. I kinda regret getting rid of it for the Ram.

STR

Reaction score
We’ve own(ed) a few Jeep GC. Comfort, style, power, etc... That’s my vote (y)

Firebird

Reaction score
I've had 2 Wrangler Unlimiteds with 3.6, and wife's current 300S also has the 3.6, darned good and fuel efficient motor. She absolutely loves her 300

rlc2020

Reaction score
We went and looked at a GC yesterday and she liked it. They also had a lexus GX460 which was really nice. tough choice. She's going to drive that one today and see what she likes better.

We really liked the value of the durango, but the ride was very harsh on the GT model we drove, nothing like the Grand Cherokee. They made the durango too sporty IMO.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's nice to see how many people really like their Grand Cherokee's.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We went and looked at a GC yesterday and she liked it. They also had a lexus GX460 which was really nice. tough choice. She's going to drive that one today and see what she likes better.

We really liked the value of the durango, but the ride was very harsh on the GT model we drove, nothing like the Grand Cherokee. They made the durango too sporty IMO.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's nice to see how many people really like their Grand Cherokee's.
I was just going to suggest an Audi Q5/7 or Volvo XC90 ;)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just keep in mind...the new Grand Cherokee and its new 3 row variant is about to be debuted.

The Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer should be coming soon also...and a RAM SUV is probably in the works but a few years out.

Just some food for thought.

orange01z28

Reaction score
Are you even going to check out the 4 door Wrangler anymore or is that out of the question?

ktl5005

Reaction score
I had 3 Grand Cherokee before my ram. 2011 Altitude, 2014 Limited, 2017 Trailhawk. All were solid vehicles and if it wasn’t time/need for a truck I’d be upgrading to the new Grand Cherokee once it gets released later this year for next year.
Also, the new 2021 Durango is looking good with the cosmetic updates and optional 10.1” screen. They come with the v6. My wife drives a 2018 Durango R/T and that is a fun SUV to drive.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a Chrysler Pacifica with the 3.6L. It's got plenty of power for hauling people around. We really love the vehicle but if you don't have children I wouldn't recommend it. Any reason in particular you're so dead set on FCA products? We like them but that's only because the Ram and the Pacifica fit our needs the best.

We had an Explorer that we really liked prior to the minivan but needed more room. I'd be fine with a Toyota Highlander or something similar as well. I see someone mentioned Volvos. They seem nice as well. My friend just purchased a Honda Accord Sport w/ the 2.0l turbo and that things a beast. I'd drive it over the 3.6 charger everyday of my life.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I miss my Grand Cherokee every day. I sold it because it didn't have enough power to tow what I wanted, but it was a solid purchase and never gave me any trouble other than a cheap-to-purchase brake sensor switch.

You couldn't pay me to run around in a car anymore, feel like my butt is dragging on the ground.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Well, 8hrs of vehicle shopping today. It's crazy right now, every car we called about or went to look at was either sold already or had 2 people interested in it at the same time. Walked away from the lexus because the dealer wouldn't honor the online listing price, said it was a mistake and would honor it but not certify it even though it said certified. I hate b.s. and gimmicks so I walked from that deal.

Found a 2018 trailhawk with only 3k miles on it for 34k and I loved it but the srt bolstered seats bothered my wife. It was stupid to drive the lexus first and then the GC. I'm trying to stick to a sub $35k vehicle so that rules out anything new and upcoming for the most part.

The search continues. Also, she didn't like the charger we looked at or the 300s today so I guess those are out. narrowing it down to a Limited GC most likely.

Can anyone with an srt or trailhawk GC comment on whether or not the seats break in after a while? We didn't like how stiff they were, but with only 3k I figure they will soften after a bit. The trailhawk was really nice other than the seats being stiff

ktl5005

Reaction score
Well, 8hrs of vehicle shopping today. It's crazy right now, every car we called about or went to look at was either sold already or had 2 people interested in it at the same time. Walked away from the lexus because the dealer wouldn't honor the online listing price, said it was a mistake and would honor it but not certify it even though it said certified. I hate b.s. and gimmicks so I walked from that deal.

Found a 2018 trailhawk with only 3k miles on it for 34k and I loved it but the srt bolstered seats bothered my wife. It was stupid to drive the lexus first and then the GC. I'm trying to stick to a sub $35k vehicle so that rules out anything new and upcoming for the most part.

The search continues. Also, she didn't like the charger we looked at or the 300s today so I guess those are out. narrowing it down to a Limited GC most likely.

Can anyone with an srt or trailhawk GC comment on whether or not the seats break in after a while? We didn't like how stiff they were, but with only 3k I figure they will soften after a bit. The trailhawk was really nice other than the seats being stiff

they break in. My2017 Trailhawk got softer, and I like them
Because it felt more secure and kept me in the seat. I towed with it all the way from PA to Pittsburg NH 2 years ago loaded to the gills and a RZR in tow. 8 hour drive. Never felt tired and got 14mpg even in the hills of Vermont.

Users who are viewing this thread