5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me pick a new vehicle for my wife please!

ktl5005

Reaction score
I miss my Grand Cherokee every day. I sold it because it didn't have enough power to tow what I wanted, but it was a solid purchase and never gave me any trouble other than a cheap-to-purchase brake sensor switch.

You couldn't pay me to run around in a car anymore, feel like my butt is dragging on the ground.

I feel the same way! 2 months in my Ram Limited and Iove it but man, if I didn’t need the truck for the bed I’d still be in my Trailhawk. I loved that vehicle and it was a solid SUV.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Very happy with our Durango R/T. 2021 looks to be a good year. The architecture is a carry over from the Daimler Chrysler days and based on the big GL Merc. and it handles Ike it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Forgot to say there will be a Hellcat Durango for 2021 in case you haven't seen it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rlc2020

Reaction score
I'm all about anything hemi or hellcat, but my wife could care less about it. She hates the 4cyl in her cherokee because it is almost dangerously slow, but the 3.6 is plenty for her. going back monday morning to check out the trailhawk again. Might pull the trigger on that one.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Well, ended up just selling her Cherokee back to the dealer. Going to have to buy her a car when we get down south. The penske car carrier I had reserved has a weight limit and even a GC is too much for it. So, cancelled the carrier and just going down with my truck and the box truck. I'll update once we get a car for her. Leaning towards a limited GC or a Durango.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lots of votes for the Durango. A basic Durango would be on 18" rims and have a better ride than the 20" on higher trim models. You can always ask the dealer to trade out rims as well, they are more than willing usually to trade 20" for 18"

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
moving to FL?? Wrangler!! I've been a "Jeep guy" for a long time. So much fun cruising around with the top down in some great weather! Also, I really enjoy the aftermarket products for Wrangler. You can go as wild or mild as you want while make a Wrangler your own. My wife and I both have Wranglers.

rlc2020

Reaction score
moving to FL?? Wrangler!! I've been a "Jeep guy" for a long time. So much fun cruising around with the top down in some great weather! Also, I really enjoy the aftermarket products for Wrangler. You can go as wild or mild as you want while make a Wrangler your own. My wife and I both have Wranglers.
My wife really wants a wrangler, but hard to find in Bikini Pearl, which is the only color she will accept. We drove a willy's and it was really nice, but not the right color. She is also concerned about the kids in the back seat without a fixed roof in case of an accident. It's on the list though

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to just order a Wrangler. That way you can get her exactly what she wants at exactly the price you want to pay and it'll be ready to pick up later this year when you move south. No brainer.

Also, Wranglers are as safe as anything else if the kids have seatbelts on. They are built like tanks. I've had several. The frame and body structure on the new JLs is no joke.

orange01z28

Reaction score
My wife really wants a wrangler, but hard to find in Bikini Pearl, which is the only color she will accept. We drove a willy's and it was really nice, but not the right color. She is also concerned about the kids in the back seat without a fixed roof in case of an accident. It's on the list though
Bikini Pearl isn't even an option on the Build & Price on the website anymore. There are a few in stock around here but getting harder to find

I love that color too

I know all this because my wife wants one too. Luckily if she can't have that color she wants white so those are easy to find

rlc2020

Reaction score
I tried to order one when they were doing the "employee pricing" on the wranglers. Bikini Pearl has been discontinued though, so ordering isn't an option. I'll be keeping my eyes open, the right one will come along.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife has a 2018 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4cyl and 45k miles on it. We are looking to upgrade to something bigger and with more power for her. Our original plan was a 4 door wrangler since she loves them, but we are now opening the doors to some other options. We looked at a Grand Cherokee today and it was very nice. I suggested a charger and she seemed open to the idea, but there are none available at any of the local dealers up here in CT for her to test drive.

We are moving to florida in a month, so we may make this purchase down there. Also, 4wd is not a necessity for this vehicle. I have my Ram for towing the boat so a car would be fine really.

What do you guys think? Charger R/T rwd is my first choice. 3.6 charger would be my second choice. You guys have any more suggestions? anything to be weary of with a Grand Cherokee or a charger?
Depends on if she wants to sit higher off the ground like the Cherokee or lower to the ground like a sedan. The Charger and GC are completely different types of vehicles. That's the first question she needs to answer before offering recommendations.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 3 Grand Cherokee before my ram. 2011 Altitude, 2014 Limited, 2017 Trailhawk. All were solid vehicles and if it wasn’t time/need for a truck I’d be upgrading to the new Grand Cherokee once it gets released later this year for next year.
Also, the new 2021 Durango is looking good with the cosmetic updates and optional 10.1” screen. They come with the v6. My wife drives a 2018 Durango R/T and that is a fun SUV to drive.
Unless you're doing some real off roading...I'd stay clear of the trailhawk....otherwise you're paying an extra 10k just for off road features you'll never use. Just my $.02.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Not that it's of much consideration to you while looking at Dodge vehicles, but we just picked up an Acura RDX and it's NICE. The MDX is also nice and has a third row. They are coming out with a new MDX for 2021 which should be even nicer. Not that HEMI feel, but even the little turbo 4 in the RDX has plenty of getupngo for the fiance. I tried to push the Durango a while back, but the minivan rear end on it was a deal killer for us both. Then the Grand Cherokees are nice, but I lost that battle since she really wanted the RDX with red interior.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My girl just got a 2020 Toyota Rav4. Very nice for a 4 cylinder, especially since it's a non turbo (we hate turbo engines). Brand New XLE model cost was $30k, has all of the bells and whistles except for ventilated seats.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Rav4 is a nice vehicle, but basically the same as what she had. We want bigger with v6 or v8 power. pretty sure we have it narrowed down to: 4 door wrangler - durango r/t - Lexus gx460 - Grand Cherokee limited.

She wants the full frame truck feel, the wrangler and the lexus are her favorites so far, but they are harder to find equipped how we want them. Lets see what happens in 2 weeks when we get to florida.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rav4 is a nice vehicle, but basically the same as what she had. We want bigger with v6 or v8 power. pretty sure we have it narrowed down to: 4 door wrangler - durango r/t - Lexus gx460 - Grand Cherokee limited.

She wants the full frame truck feel, the wrangler and the lexus are her favorites so far, but they are harder to find equipped how we want them. Lets see what happens in 2 weeks when we get to florida.
I hear ya...my girl didn't want anything bigger than a Rav4 or Ford edge size. She said the GC was too big for her and we heard too many horror stories about the Cherokee 9 speed transmissions lol.

Users who are viewing this thread