5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! Garage Door Injury

Eric326

Reaction score
Similar disappointment with my garage as well. My 4th gen fit fine, but unfortunately the 5th gen's are just a little bit longer. The 360 camera does help with getting it in at an angle though... 20200820_054441.jpg

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd go with replacing the grill and top applique. Maybe check some salvage yards to see if you can find a wrecked truck with no front damage?

My first house with an empty garage my Titan stuck out by 8" with the bumper 1" from the rear wall. Before closing and test fitting I told my realtor "My truck won't fit in that garage". She responded with "Why would they make a garage that a truck couldn't fit in? It'll fit." Sent her a pic of it sticking out the day we closed. This truck is 4" longer than my Titan. Before we bought our current house I pulled the truck into the garage to make sure. We passed on several houses with garages too small.
Mine fits by 2.5”. I’m nervous every day when the door closes. I have to literally kiss the front wall with the ft end and deform the padding in order to have that clearance. Ridiculous.

Attachments

• 364E5464-4A7D-4A26-8237-A3E068C7B7AE.jpeg
    364E5464-4A7D-4A26-8237-A3E068C7B7AE.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 78
  • B4A223C1-B276-4397-8856-7C86B2E58C50.jpeg
    B4A223C1-B276-4397-8856-7C86B2E58C50.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 81

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does XPEL do to it? Please share, I am very new to this so still learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a paint protection film. Im not sure what it would've done for your situation. Probably just rip and still damage paint. However I put it on my bumper to prevent anymore rock chips.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I parked inside and measured to make sure there is enough space between the garage door rail and the front bumper. However, I failed to notice that the garage door also has some metal hook that is sticking out so thats the one that damaged it on the way down and then on the way up. I win a Darwin award for this, I know...:(

ARGH, can U remove that metal hook and any other obstructions so yours will fit? I have 1-2" front and rear WHEN I put the red beast in my garage.

IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

COSPILOT

Reaction score
One thing I started doing years ago was raising the safety sensors of the garage door to bumper height instead of the 7” or so that they typically are. Now it’s impossible to accidentally shut the garage door on our vehicles. Yes, I know, pets and small children are at risk now...

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Found out today that the truck doesn’t fit into the new house’s garage - door went down and damaged the front of the vehicle, pic enclosed.

Please let me know how should I heal it now...

Thank you!

f15b9bce58207105737e908a25fd9a34.jpg

[/QUOTE
I'm very sorry for your headache. This happened to me a few years ago with a brand new Lexus SUV. $580.00 damage and repaint.
My Ram 1500 stays in the driveway, its 8" to long to close mt garage door. Its not a happy situation for sure. I cannot push the wall forward. I have a finished 2nd kitchen/laundry space.
Its very unfortunate indeed.

RAMEN

Reaction score
I parked inside and measured to make sure there is enough space between the garage door rail and the front bumper. However, I failed to notice that the garage door also has some metal hook that is sticking out so thats the one that damaged it on the way down and then on the way up. I win a Darwin award for this, I know...:(

The hook that did the damage:(
e92abca35edff2a69b2f3a471d148173.jpg

1729da3a5063ae07a009b7ed93598800.jpg

2d90bcf48a7d57d4d869f9a89fcb3e4a.jpg

No idea what it’s there for

COSPILOT

Reaction score

One of a handful of ways to manually lock the garage on the off chance you don’t have a garage door opener, or the opener completely fails for some reason. Mine is simpler and just one side, but I’ve seen your style as well. In your case, I’d remove the components but keep them just in case.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
If it makes the OP feel better, we had a medical emergency for our son and my my wife backed out of the garage before the garage door had fully opened. Put a a dent in I guess you would call it the D Pillar, but most of our Land Rover is aluminum and not an easy fix. I was quoted 2K to fix it by the one and only body shop I trust, as aluminum fixes are much more difficult than normal. I decided to leave it and used touch up paint. It’s a 2006 so no big deal now, in fact a badge of honor in my mind. It really is small and I can’t justify the expense for something not worth a hole right now. Certainly it will go up as new Land Rovers aren’t body on frame as mine is. I expect I’ve hit the low and well maintained one owner like mine will increase in value as the new Land Rovers look more like a Ford Explorer. They still off-road well, but I hate the new ones.
Back to Ram, I’ve hated Chrysler for decades and swore I would never by another, but the Ram is IMO the best available pickup truck by far. I love it mostly and hate it sometimes.

So stuff happens, but assuming your rates don’t go up, pay the deductible and move on. Overall a good truck and you will enjoy it, even with its quirks and warts. I’d buy another without blinking.

turkeybird56

Reaction score

Locking mechanism. On my garage doors, I have clamps/slides on either side that I have to go over and manually slide to lock/unlock, where U could turn what appears to be a center handle, probably with a handle on the outside of the door (no idea if U have lock/or just twist handle) on exterior of door) to release lock and open door. Would need exterior pick of door handle, but I bet U have a twist handle on the exterior.

RJS

Reaction score
As others have said, it's the locking mechanism. If you have an electric opener then just pitch the entire assembly. If you don't have an electric opener, add one, and pitch the assembly. - they are cheaper than repairing the truck again. Throw out anything that sticks out farther than the hinges, then you could add padding to the lower part of the door so if it hits the door will reverse.
If power fails just pull the disconnect cord and the door will open and close manually.

RAMEN

Reaction score
If it makes the OP feel better, we had a medical emergency for our son and my my wife backed out of the garage before the garage door had fully opened. Put a a dent in I guess you would call it the D Pillar, but most of our Land Rover is aluminum and not an easy fix. I was quoted 2K to fix it by the one and only body shop I trust, as aluminum fixes are much more difficult than normal. I decided to leave it and used touch up paint. It’s a 2006 so no big deal now, in fact a badge of honor in my mind. It really is small and I can’t justify the expense for something not worth a hole right now. Certainly it will go up as new Land Rovers aren’t body on frame as mine is. I expect I’ve hit the low and well maintained one owner like mine will increase in value as the new Land Rovers look more like a Ford Explorer. They still off-road well, but I hate the new ones.
Back to Ram, I’ve hated Chrysler for decades and swore I would never by another, but the Ram is IMO the best available pickup truck by far. I love it mostly and hate it sometimes.

So stuff happens, but assuming your rates don’t go up, pay the deductible and move on. Overall a good truck and you will enjoy it, even with its quirks and warts. I’d buy another without blinking.

In the end, these vehicles are only pieces of metal and should be used and abused. Abundance mentality.

I hope your son is ok!

RAMEN

Reaction score
Locking mechanism. On my garage doors, I have clamps/slides on either side that I have to go over and manually slide to lock/unlock, where U could turn what appears to be a center handle, probably with a handle on the outside of the door (no idea if U have lock/or just twist handle) on exterior of door) to release lock and open door. Would need exterior pick of door handle, but I bet U have a twist handle on the exterior.

Exactly a twist handle

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take a sawzall to the peg and cut it down some and stick a tennis ball over it. Bend the handle inward. Just enough so you can still turn it.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
In the end, these vehicles are only pieces of metal and should be used and abused. Abundance mentality.

I hope your son is ok!

He is fine, the incident was years ago, lots of blood though. In other words typical young boy stuff.

JimD007

Reaction score
My garage is 24 feet deep so it is big enough in that direction but I have only a single 16 feet wide garage door and the garage is only 20 feet wide so it is really not wide enough for my convertible and pickup. I would also need to adjust the garage door opener to pull the door a little higher if I wanted to routinely park in the garage. I've had it in there but not with the convertible in there too. When I put it in, I manually lowered the garage door so I could be careful when it got near the truck. But my normal arrangement is truck on the driveway, convertible in the garage. Most people here seem to only get one car in the garage with all their stuff. I have a shed so I can reduce the stuff enough but the pickup is wide (as well as tall and long).

jmr

Reaction score
I have a non truck friendly garage too and got around it by having a tennis ball hanging on a string from the ceiling.
When pulling into the garage I line up the tennis ball to the center of the instrument panel and pull forward so that the ball barely touches the windshield.
It works perfect...been doing this for years.
Just take your time setting up the placement of the tennis ball.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a non truck friendly garage too and got around it by having a tennis ball hanging on a string from the ceiling.
When pulling into the garage I line up the tennis ball to the center of the instrument panel and pull forward so that the ball barely touches the windshield.
It works perfect...been doing this for years.
I used to do this...but after bopping that tennis ball for a number of years, I noticed it was sagging further and further :) Now I have a new "landmark" on my garage wall that I use for perfect parking (my sprinkler controller is perfectly positioned).

But I still walk to the back of the truck and double-check that I'm in far enough almost every time. Old habits...

4x4Rebel

Reaction score
I have 2 inches to spare in my garage. it gets tight like it does for most here. I turn on my backup camera as I'm pulling in garage and use lines in the concrete just in front of my garage as a refernce point. There are some small frame like graphics on the camera display that i have figured where the line in the concrete correlates to the graphics on the screen. Now i can pull in and nail it everytime withhout concern(ish). Can't help but get a little nervous. This probably made no sense but there ya go.

RJS

Reaction score
My wife had trouble getting the position of her Toyota right so I put a treated 2X4 against her front wheels in position and tap conned it to the floor. It's worked for 12 years. She missed the tennis ball a couple times prior to the 2X4.

Users who are viewing this thread