5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! Garage Door Injury

RAMEN

Reaction score
Found out today that the truck doesn’t fit into the new house’s garage - door went down and damaged the front of the vehicle, pic enclosed.

Please let me know how should I heal it now...

Thank you!

f15b9bce58207105737e908a25fd9a34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
That sucks. How did the door damage the front end? You backed into the garage?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That stinks. You may not want to hear this, but this will require body work (bondo, paint, clear) if you want it to look perfect.

RAMEN

Reaction score

I parked inside and measured to make sure there is enough space between the garage door rail and the front bumper. However, I failed to notice that the garage door also has some metal hook that is sticking out so thats the one that damaged it on the way down and then on the way up. I win a Darwin award for this, I know...:(

RAMEN

Reaction score

And yes I backed into the garage and wanted to see how much space is left when the door is shut - I know understand the reason ALL the trucks(and most cars) are parked outside the garages in our community - who builds houses with tiny garages!?!?

moparleo51

Reaction score
yeah looks like the grill and top applique, ,lucky its not the hood. these can be swapped out with either new chrome or black ones if changing to blackout mode, or maybe you can get a good used one from a junk yard.or if anyone on here is converting there grills.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
yeah looks like the grill and top applique, ,lucky its not the hood. these can be swapped out with either new chrome or black ones if changing to blackout mode, or maybe you can get a good used one from a junk yard.or if anyone on here is converting there grills.
Ah, glad to hear. Thought you had nicked the hood also.

Cheers,

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a very similar scratch on my painted bumper. Most places I got quotes wanted to repaint the entire bumper for around $700. I chose touch up paint and put XPEL over it..

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd go with replacing the grill and top applique. Maybe check some salvage yards to see if you can find a wrecked truck with no front damage?

My first house with an empty garage my Titan stuck out by 8" with the bumper 1" from the rear wall. Before closing and test fitting I told my realtor "My truck won't fit in that garage". She responded with "Why would they make a garage that a truck couldn't fit in? It'll fit." Sent her a pic of it sticking out the day we closed. This truck is 4" longer than my Titan. Before we bought our current house I pulled the truck into the garage to make sure. We passed on several houses with garages too small.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
And yes I backed into the garage and wanted to see how much space is left when the door is shut - I know understand the reason ALL the trucks(and most cars) are parked outside the garages in our community - who builds houses with tiny garages!?!?

I have a custom home and my garage is almost 3 feet longer than my truck. Dont hate me.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a custom home and my garage is almost 3 feet longer than my truck. Dont hate me.
Same here...my garage has a good extra 5 feet so pulling my truck in is a non-issue...planned for this in advance and I didn't even own a truck when the house was built in late 2016.

moparleo51

Reaction score
I too always back it in. It makes it easier to pull it out.lol thats what she said.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I always back mine in, but some folks may find it a bit daunting based on how much room they have.
I've been backing into my garage since the first time I had one. I'd much rather back into the driveway from the street, when I can clearly see the traffic, than back from a driveway into street traffic. It's much more difficult to see the traffic situation when backing into the street than when you're already on the street. Also, with the backup camera and mirrors, I can back into a garage more precisely than I can when pulling straight into one. This is not really an issue on the Limited with the surround view camera, but I'm not the one who drives that truck... LOL

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been backing into my garage since the first time I had one. I'd much rather back into the driveway from the street, when I can clearly see the traffic, than back from a driveway into street traffic. It's much more difficult to see the traffic situation when backing into the street than when you're already on the street. Also, with the backup camera and mirrors, I can back into a garage more precisely than I can when pulling straight into one. This is not really an issue on the Limited with the surround view camera, but I'm not the one who drives that truck... LOL
Totally agree...it is SO easy with the 360 camera setup in my Limited. However, I'd be a lot more careful and take more time if I didn't have the 360 view camera system.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife pulls her SUV in forward because I put a cork on a string for her to hit. She still has gone past that and hit stuff (insert female spacial awareness joke). I always back the truck in just because with it in the garage I literally can't get around it unless I crawl through the back seat. I use the rear camera to get as close to the junk at the back wall as possible, and I have about 3" of clearance at the front. Truck's only in the garage if there's severe thunderstorm/hail potential.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Wife pulls her SUV in forward because I put a cork on a string for her to hit. She still has gone past that and hit stuff (insert female spacial awareness joke). I always back the truck in just because with it in the garage I literally can't get around it unless I crawl through the back seat. I use the rear camera to get as close to the junk at the back wall as possible, and I have about 3" of clearance at the front. Truck's only in the garage if there's severe thunderstorm/hail potential.
Same here with the backing in. My wife parks forwards, I park backwards. This leaves enough space on the driver's side of each vehicle for comfortable entry and exit. And I, too, have about 3-4" of clearance upfront with maybe 2" at the back.

RAMEN

Reaction score
I had a very similar scratch on my painted bumper. Most places I got quotes wanted to repaint the entire bumper for around $700. I chose touch up paint and put XPEL over it..

What does XPEL do to it? Please share, I am very new to this so still learning

Users who are viewing this thread