5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help...am I overloading my new 2020 1500?

blakei

Reaction score
Dump scales are notoriously inaccurate. I wouldn’t trust them and would try to find a CAT scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Don’t forget fuel. The 33 gallon tank adds 207 lbs when full. Personally I think the OP will be fine, but severely underestimating things with only 1500 lbs. I’d bet closer to 2200 lbs.

As a private pilot dating back to the 90’s I take weight pretty seriously in an airplane, and I’ve gotten pretty good at estimating weight without a scale. Not needed for most, but I have a certified scale for things under 200 lbs that measures down to .001 lbs. Measuring Freon it becomes important to be accurate.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2 things. First. Fuel is included in the base weight of the truck...so does not need to be included. Although if you are going to weigh...you want to have a full tank of gas for accurate numbers.

Second...as I explained. GVWR is 7100lbs. This is what your truck can move and stop safely.

There is buffer for loading with axle weights to 8000lbs. But as I showed very little of the weight goes to the front...it goes to the rear.

You do not want to overload an axle. Bad things will happen.

If you are truely concerned you need to find a CAT scale and get axle weights. Or make the trip and hope.

apctjb

Reaction score
I know leaving stuff behind is never something we want to consider but sometimes it can be necessary
Hoping not....
There is buffer for loading with axle weights to 8000lbs. But as I showed very little of the weight goes to the front...it goes to the rear.
Once I get the total GVWR I will estimate front /rear using the ratio you suggested. I don't want bad things to happen on a 1000m drive down the baja .... I have tried to move weight forward in the bed and using the crew cab area as cargo space.

Again , really appreciate the advice...

apctjb

Reaction score
7920# per the scale at the dump. I don't notice the weight at all driving and if I am hitting the stops on bumps.

A friend suggested installing rear suspension enhancement springs with a 8600# rating. Seems like this might improve the ride but not really addressing the fact I am putting too much load on the vehicle....

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no way I would do 1000m down the Baja 80lbs from total axle ratings.

You are an guestimate of 97 lbs over rear axle. If you were going 35 home from the nearest Lowe's i would say do it. Going 1000m ovwr rough terrain. No way.

But that is your decision. I would take a torque wrench and double check your lugnuts often.

Good luck

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some thoughts. 4th gen was 6900 GVWR. They increased brakes size and added an extra lug nut To each wheel and got 200lbs more capacity for the 5th Gen at 7100 GVWR.

Gvwr is set by your trucks ability to accelerate and stop. The Hemi and the axles are not the weak link. You are currently 820lbs over GVWR.
Some trucks only have 900lb payloads. And you are exceeding your GVWR by almost that.

Guess for axles with the 43/57 guesstimate is 3722 front 4197 rear the rating being 3900 and 4100. That is very close for comfort for me. Maybe if you are lucky you got the 97 to the front...but man is that a hope.

apctjb

Reaction score
yea, too close for comfort....

How do those guys with the campers on back do it? The campers alone weight 1000-1500# and then all the gear. They must be pushing the limits all the time....

Joecameron69

Reaction score
In my opinion, most people have no clue as to what they can haul with their trucks. I remember back when I was younger, I had a short bed chevy and loaded up a cab over camper (stuck out past the tailgate) and loaded it down, was not a fun drive, but the truck still moved so I went with it. I would hook on to my pontoon boat, 28 foot and fight that truck all the way to the lake. Young and dumb, luckily I never killed anyone. Maybe a small trailer would help with the load.

Rexx

Reaction score

How do those guys with the campers on back do it? The campers alone weight 1000-1500# and then all the gear. They must be pushing the limits all the time....
Many people think “it’s a truck so it can haul anything”. And to be fair, they can - until something breaks.

A lot of the new features on the trucks these days are HEAVY. They eat into payload like crazy. I have a limited with just about every option, and the truck is awesome and I love it - but my payload is around 1050 lbs, which is tiny for a truck.

Basically you either need to get a more barebones 1500 so the payload is higher or step on up into the 2500/3500 if you still want lots of bells and whistles but a good payload / tow rating.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Years ago (1997) Ford came out with a F250 light version. It had a 7700 GVWR, but for the most part it was a beefed up F150. Options such as factory airbags for the rear suspension was nice.

I purchased one new, actually special ordered it because dealers weren’t stocking it. Only gripe I ever had was the 7 lug wheel which I found a little bland with almost zero aftermarket options. Loved that truck though.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2500 trucks up until 2013 had 8800 GVWR. The 1500 now has 7200GVWR with the eco diesel. They are quite capable. The issue is everyone wants a loaded truck. A 2wd quad cab can be had with over 2000lbs of payload. Just nobody buys it

Dodge Ram 2500 came in 2 flavors for 94 to 96. 7500 and 8800. The 7500 was gone for 97.

The 2nd Gen 1500 had a GVWR of 6400.

blakei

Reaction score
My Big Horn 1500 has a payload of 1780. Not too many options and I’m happy with it for now. I do keep looking at 2500s though, and one thing I’ve been surprised it as how low their “on paper” payload is...

For example, VIN 3C6UR5FL9LG259728 shows a payload of 2157 lbs. I look at that and I think “20-30K more for another 375 pounds of payload and a less pleasant daily driver”?

Of course, the diesel takes up about 900 lbs of payload so a gasser is closer to 3000 which is a much bigger win.

Am I missing something else though about the benefit of a 2500 that might only have a few hundred more pounds of payload?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Am I missing something else though about the benefit of a 2500 that might only have a few
As you noticed the diesel 2500 is not much better than a 1500 for Payload. Some limited diesels are down to just over 1800lbs.

If you are getting a diesel and need payload...you need a 3500.

The reason I have a 2500 is blatantly obvious...8 foot bed.

The other reason I do is because I haul more often than I tow and when I tow I haul.

My Tradesman has 2998 payload. The new 4.5 Gen gained about 200lbs on avg payload. The longbed from the 4th Gen had lower payload than a shortbed. That changed now. So a similar truck to mine in a 4.5 Gen would have about 3300lb payload.

The other benefit is the truck weighs more to begin with...which makes towing much more stable.

And ever since 2010 when they made the 1500 and HD look different...the HD has always looked better...especially with the new front end.

blakei

Reaction score
Thanks, those are great points. I’ve had an issue with the 1500 clutch based limited slip differential, and as I was researching differentials, looks like the 2500 is fully geared diff rather than clutches. So overall I think the 2500 may just be heavier duty.

I’ve been looking at some 2500s but the 1500 seems to have a bigger backseat and legroom.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a new truck owner and the whole payload thing is confusing. The GRVW is 7100#; the sum of front and rear axle max weight 8000# and the curb weight is 5160#.

Lots of info out there.

I deleted the rest because I only touched on what others have explained in a far better manner.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 2014 came with a card in the operator's manual that the vehicle was not rated for slide in campers. Oddly, I don't remember getting one for my 2019.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042967 miles.

apctjb

Reaction score
Happy to report that I made the +1100 mile trip down the Baja at about 7900# (guestimate based on dump scale) no problem. The truck performed great, handled well, nice ride, and plenty of power. Even had a 10mile stretch where I had to put it in 4WL to get around a blocked section of road. 18mpg average fuel economy for the trip. No complaints, happy I bought this truck so far....

Users who are viewing this thread