5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help...am I overloading my new 2020 1500?

apctjb

Reaction score
I have 2020 laramie Crew Cab 4WD , crew cab off road package (beefer shocks and tires). I have it loaded for a trip from LA to Cabo with kayaks, surfboards, sports equipment, household items, misc. Noticeably riding lower than when empty. I am not on the orange bumper stocks yet, but close...like within 1/4-3/8" off the stops. Suspect I will be hitting them on bumps.

The trip down is all on good paved road except for the occasional washout section. This is my first RAM and not familiar with how much of a safety margin there is on load.

Am I pushing the limits or not to worry? Appreciate hearing from others with more experience than me....

Thanks

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 2020 laramie Crew Cab 4WD , crew cab off road package (beefer shocks and tires). I have it loaded for a trip from LA to Cabo with kayaks, surfboards, sports equipment, household items, misc. Noticeably riding lower than when empty. I am not on the orange bumper stocks yet, but close...like within 1/4-3/8" off the stops. Suspect I will be hitting them on bumps.

The trip down is all on good paved road except for the occasional washout section. This is my first RAM and not familiar with how much of a safety margin there is on load.

Am I pushing the limits or not to worry? Appreciate hearing from others with more experience than me....

Thanks
Any idea how much in weight you have in the bed of the truck?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042744 miles.

njt07

Reaction score
Am I way off in thinking the ORG shocks arent beefier for weight but for travel and offroad bump absorbtion?

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Probably, but without seeing a picture or you knowing how much weight you have back there, it is hard to say. But your Laramie only hauls about 1200-1400 including all passengers and cargo. Best thing to do is check your weight on a CAT scale.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ORG won't increase your payload. It actually decreases payload because they add weight to the truck. We need the weight of all the gear you're putting in the truck and your payload. If payload rating > gear weight + passengers you're good.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I way off in thinking the ORG shocks arent beefier for weight but for travel and offroad bump absorbtion?
Your assumption is correct.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042744 miles.

apctjb

Reaction score
thanks; its only a guess 1200-1500# gear, canopy, passengers. No doubt I am close to or over the rated payload but the question is how much of a safety factor is there before something breaks... I have had friends say they have loaded there pickups to the point there headlights are point so high they can't see the road and never had a problem. I am along way from that but again this is a new truck for me so really don't know how much I can push it. Its got the 5.7 Hemi so power is not a problem. Just don't want to break something on the drive down...

My other car is a town and country mini van and I have loaded it to the stops on many trips and while it felt heavy nothing ever broke. Sure hoping my fancy new truck can carry as much as my mini van....

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks; its only a guess 1200-1500# gear, canopy, passengers. No doubt I am close to or over the rated payload but the question is how much of a safety factor is there before something breaks... I have had friends say they have loaded there pickups to the point there headlights are point so high they can't see the road and never had a problem. I am along way from that but again this is a new truck for me so really don't know how much I can push it. Its got the 5.7 Hemi so power is not a problem. Just don't want to break something on the drive down...

My other car is a town and country mini van and I have loaded it to the stops on many trips and while it felt heavy nothing ever broke. Sure hoping my fancy new truck can carry as much as my mini van....
I'm not sure what your payload rating is, but it sounds like you're close or just slightly over. (Keep in mind that the payload rating does not include passenger weight.)

Even if you're over a few hundred pounds I don't think you will break anything. Manufacturers usually spec loads with a margin.

Best regards,
Dusty

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was typing my last reply while you were sending the pictures. Your previous description of the articles you were loading didn't seem to me to be heavy enough for a concern. But...I now see you have a cap. Not sure how much that weighs, but it's part of the payload.

Best regards,
Dusty

apctjb

Reaction score
Yup cap (200#) , running boards (50#), Kayak (50#), 6 plastic totes full of gear (500#), coolers, people (350#), surfboards, it all adds up. my guess around 1500#

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The truck is built with a rake to allow the truck to be loaded and keep the headlights pointed properly.

It looks like you have not exceeded the rake...but your bump stops being that close may greatly reduce your ride comfort.

The axle ratings give you about 900 lbs to play with over GVWR. The thing is...the truck barely adds weight to the front..most of it goes to the rear.

Looks like you are ok. But for peace of mind download thr CAT App and go check out your rear axle weight. It is to be under 4100lbs.

For example. Here is my CAT scale with a load of wood
20190530_230111.jpg

A gas truck will have a 60/40 weight split empty... My truck has a base weight of 7002 pounds. My front empty axle is 4200lbs and rear empty is 2800. As you can see with most of the load in the bed the front went up 460 lbs but the rear went up 2400lbs. My total load was 2858lbs. (My truck is a 2500)

So...you may want to check that rear axle.

Good luck and safe travels on the trip.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup cap (200#) , running boards (50#), Kayak (50#), 6 plastic totes full of gear (500#), coolers, people (350#), surfboards, it all adds up. my guess around 1500#
Your payload is on your door jamb. You are probably over payload by some...but a bit under total rear axle. You should be fine.

apctjb

Reaction score
Thanks; No CAT scales near me but the local dump has a scale so will swing by and weigh it tomorrow. That will give me a total weight but not the weight on the rear axle which if I am understanding correctly should be <4100#. Is there a rule of thumb to estimate how much of the total weight is on front axle vs rear?

Really appreciate the help!

I suspect it's going to be fine but breaking sometime driving down the Baja would be more of an adventure than I am wanting....

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks; No CAT scales near me but the local dump has a scale so will swing by and weigh it tomorrow. That will give me a total weight but not the weight on the rear axle which if I am understanding correctly should be <4100#. Is there a rule of thumb to estimate how much of the total weight is on front axle vs rear?

Really appreciate the help!

I suspect it's going to be fine but breaking sometime driving down the Baja would be more of an adventure than I am wanting....
That is what I was trying to show above. An empty truck is 60 front 40 rear.

When loaded it is roughly 47 front 53 rear.

Rough numbers...but it has been pretty close for me

apctjb

Reaction score
Tires are marked 2500# per tire or 5000# per axle. If I am anywhere close to that weight I will be surprised....and leaving stuff behind.

Thanks

apctjb

Reaction score
I am a new truck owner and the whole payload thing is confusing. The GRVW is 7100#; the sum of front and rear axle max weight 8000# and the curb weight is 5160#. So in theory I can load ~1900# and be below the GRVW with 900# margin before hitting the max axle load. Seems like I should be okay, am curious to see what it weighs in at tomorrow...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tires are marked 2500# per tire or 5000# per axle. If I am anywhere close to that weight I will be surprised....and leaving stuff behind.

Thanks
Oh ok...if you have LT rated tires then they will be fine. I know leaving stuff behind is never something we want to consider but sometimes it can be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread