5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig Sway Bar on a Rebel

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Ah. Thanks for the information. Curious your signature says ceramic tint?
What is that? what does the 50% mean?
Ceramic window tint has a better heat rejection than normal tint films. Slightly more expensive but well worth the cost in sunny states like Florida. The 50% is the shade darkness percentage. The lower the number, the darker the tint. I only did 50% on the entire front windshield so it isn't too dark when driving at night.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Ah. I'll have to into that. Back windows come tinted from Factory, but not front window or driver/pass.

I purchased the Hellwig sway bar directly from them. $282 wasn't bad price, $5 to ship it.
Shipped already.

Just need to figure out how to put it on :)

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Ah. I'll have to into that. Back windows come tinted from Factory, but not front window or driver/pass.

I purchased the Hellwig sway bar directly from them. $282 wasn't bad price, $5 to ship it.
Shipped already.

Just need to figure out how to put it on :)
Super easy to put on, should only take about 10 minutes. There are a ton of short YouTube videos that show how.

Two suggestions:
1. Don't use the supplied grease. Plenty of reviews say it washes out pretty easy and the bar starts squeaking. Get some good synthetic grease like mobile red or soemthing similar.

2. I used the original bracket bolts because they were stronger (10.9 grade on hellwig bolts vs 12.9 grade on oem bolts). Plus I didn't care for the allen key design as they can be easily damaged.

Other than that, most people use the middle setting which is way better than the stock bar. I found the firmest setting to be the best for me since I'm lifted on 35s. I always disconnect it when I go offroading though.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I should have started thread instead of high jacking this one.
I also need to learn how to use the quote function :)

breeno

Reaction score
Useful thread!

I picked up a '21 Rebel a couple weeks ago (already got my first set of trail pin stripes ❤️) and installed the Hellwig rear sway bar today.
Good tips on the original fasteners and proper grease.

Drove around a bit today and is big improvement over the flimsy stock setup - definitely a solid upgrade.
Will try out the stiffest setting for street stuff.

Question for the folks that disconnect when off-roading: do you use some sort of hold up hardware to retain the sway bar while disconnected? If so, any recommendations?

I have an '19 Wrangler Rubicon which has an electronic front SB disconnect and have never done the manual disconnect style before...

CanRebel

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, when he mentioned disconnecting it.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Breeno, you inspired me to get off my *** and install it :)

Wasn't that bad. I don't have torque wrench. So just made it as tight as possible.
Just in case, I added some zip ties. The stock one was really light compared to Hellwig.

I used the middle , and stock bolts as Paul mentioned above.
After small test drive, I didn't really notice that much difference.

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Yeah the stock one is a hollow bar vs the solid hellwig. I noticed a big difference mainly because I'm lifted on 35s so going from the stock bar to the stiffest setting on hellwig was night and day. Curves I took at 30, I can now take at 50 with confidence lol

As for disconnecting the sway bar, I just fully remove it and throw it in the bed and secure it. It takes 5 mins to remove everything. I don't go off road too often but when I do, removing that bar helps quite a bit in some of the ruts and trails I find myself on.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Ah. Going to have to do that. As I plan on going on some low/med trails in few weeks.
Bringing Rubicon, so might just Park Rebel. Use it pull when jeep is stuck :)

Are you aware anything for front? Or disconnect sway bars? That would fit on Rebel.
Tried searching, but only find stuff for Jeeps.

70runner

Reaction score
Ceramic window tint has a better heat rejection than normal tint films. Slightly more expensive but well worth the cost in sunny states like Florida. The 50% is the shade darkness percentage. The lower the number, the darker the tint. I only did 50% on the entire front windshield so it isn't too dark when driving at night.
Did you notice any effect on the HUD from the windshield ceramic?

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Ah. Going to have to do that. As I plan on going on some low/med trails in few weeks.
Bringing Rubicon, so might just Park Rebel. Use it pull when jeep is stuck :)

Are you aware anything for front? Or disconnect sway bars? That would fit on Rebel.
Tried searching, but only find stuff for Jeeps.
Haven't looked into anything for the front at all. Probably won't mess with it

traveller09

Reaction score
Nope, none at all. If anything, I can see the HUD 10x better with the tint than before.
Interesting, so far the technology package with the video mirror and HUD have been my biggest regrets, not worth the money. The HUD is a good idea but I just cant see it most of the time during daylight with sunglasses on.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, so far the technology package with the video mirror and HUD have been my biggest regrets, not worth the money. The HUD is a good idea but I just cant see it most of the time during daylight with sunglasses on.
It seems we’ve veered off the Hellwig discussion, but have you adjusted the brightness and/or height of the HUD? That makes it easier to view during daytime.

traveller09

Reaction score
It seems we’ve veered off the Hellwig discussion, but have you adjusted the brightness and/or height of the HUD? That makes it easier to view during daytime.
I did adjust the brightness, I may not have adjusted the height I will have to look into that. I was trying to figure out if polarized sunglasses vs non polarized made any sort of difference.

Back on track: About a week ago I installed the Hellwig. It took a little more work for me than others to get it on but I finally did it. My truck only has about 2600 miles on it, so I didnt have a lot of seat time under the factory setup. The first few times driving it after the Hellwig install I dont think I could really tell a difference. This weekend when we were out we went through some curvy roads and I think I was finally able to tell a difference, it did feel more planted going throught the curves. It also felt rougher/stiffer riding on a dirt road we went down.

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
I love the rear view video. I don't pay attention to the HUD that much while driving to be honest. I wish the height setting allowed it to go higher though. Polarized glasses definitely affect it, especially the very reflective colored ones.

Last edited:

CanRebel

Reaction score
Hard part putting on Hellwig for me. I'm old, not very strong, lazy, and I had dealer do under coating.
The bolt threads were full of it. Hellwig seemed to have some coating on it, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread