5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s interesting. Hellwig used to say the Ram didn’t need a better front sway bar which is why they didn’t offer it. Did they say what changed in order for them to make a better aftermarket upgrade?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s interesting. Hellwig used to say the Ram didn’t need a better front sway bar which is why they didn’t offer it. Did they say what changed in order for them to make a better aftermarket upgrade?
Probably multiple requests

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People’s gullibility?

Av1

Reaction score
I just installed the Hellwig rear sway bar yesterday and set it to the firmest setting. I was really unhappy with the factory bar and decided to try the Hellwig bar with adjustable links.

It made a noticeable difference, and I'd recommend it for anyone who is dissatisfied with the amount of body roll using the factory bar.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did just last week. Had their rear already on my 2021 Bighorn. When I put the rear on, it definitely tightened up the rear but if I got into a sharp turn fast, the front felt too ....soft? Like I was over-steering it. Weird feeling. That is what provoked me to buy the (expensive as hell) front.

My week's worth of impression is I am glad I did. Truck feels solid all around and I pushed it in the same 4 turns where I notice it near by...and it feels much better...not as soft.
Keep in mind, I have 20" wheels now and 305 BFG All Terrain T/As. My BH came stock with 18"s
Yes, 20's are what came on mine, but I changed over to a sifter sidewall for towing. I installed the Hellweg because I use an Anderson fifth wheel hitch, and it set the pivot point at top of bed, so the Hellweg cured it. Just wondering hoe much a front bar would help when towing. Should on a sharp corner when breaking.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
I can tell you this front is way larger then the stock one in diameter. Its VERY heavy in comparison to the stock one too

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Yes, 20's are what came on mine, but I changed over to a sifter sidewall for towing. I installed the Hellweg because I use an Anderson fifth wheel hitch, and it set the pivot point at top of bed, so the Hellweg cured it. Just wondering hoe much a front bar would help when towing. Should on a sharp corner when breaking.
I noticed. Like actually noticed....not a placebo effect.....but really only in hard cornering. If you have the rear, you won't feel a big difference. I did not until I pushed it in turns.
The air-chair warriors here will tell you it is useless or otherwise without trying it for themselves. To each their own.
The one thing I was happy about was that the front end did not get really stiff just driving down the road. I would not really expect it to though...not like if I put heavy springs on it.

I'm happy I did it. I tow. I have not tried it with my trailer loaded but ill report back when I do.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed. Like actually noticed....not a placebo effect.....but really only in hard cornering. If you have the rear, you won't feel a big difference. I did not until I pushed it in turns.
The air-chair warriors here will tell you it is useless or otherwise without trying it for themselves. To each their own.
The one thing I was happy about was that the front end did not get really stiff just driving down the road. I would not really expect it to though...not like if I put heavy springs on it.

I'm happy I did it. I tow. I have not tried it with my trailer loaded but ill report back when I do.
Mist of my travel is highway, but enough on two-lane roads, was worth a thought. Especially with the pin height so high in the bed. Really hasn't been a problem yet, but I drive pretty conservatively when towing.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
With my utility trailer loaded (two bikes and gear), it handles solidly. Its definitely putting more stress to the tires vs the suspension. There is a bump mid-curve near my house and the truck kinda "skips" over it now vs soak it up. Thats the only eye-opener. I like the set up so far

TSL

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Subaru Outback for about 2 months this spring and I didn't think it cornered much better than my Laramie. It was the first time I've driven a Subaru and I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with the handling at all. My Laramie doesn't have a Hellwig sway bar, but it's leveled with 33's, so it's close to a Rebel. I think you might be surprised by your new truck.
So I've got about 800 miles on the new truck so far, and yeah, I am surprised by how well it performs in the stock configuration. The first 2 or 3 hundred miles I was driving fairly gently, takes a while to get used to driving something so much bigger than an itty bitty '07 Outback !! But I've done a couple of mountain drives - over the Coast Range to the Oregon coast and over the Cascades to Sisters / Central Oregon, and as I get used to the truck, I'm finding myself pretty happy with it over-all and have not noticed much body roll. Admittedly, I'm not pushing it super hard yet. And did have a bed loaded with camping gear on the last trip. I was actually in Central Oregon to attend Overland Expo PNW in Redmond and while there stopped by the Hellwig both and talked to the guy there. He had a sample of the material they make the sway bar from and it sure is a lot more substantial than the OEM ones ! I think sway bars work as a torsion spring if I understand it correctly, and there's a lot more "restoring force" in Hellwig's version. Obviously the sales guy talked up the benefits of their product, but it was useful to talk to him. I might yet do the upgrade, but so far am finding the truck handles pretty well, at least for my driving skill level in a truck !!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I've got about 800 miles on the new truck so far, and yeah, I am surprised by how well it performs in the stock configuration. The first 2 or 3 hundred miles I was driving fairly gently, takes a while to get used to driving something so much bigger than an itty bitty '07 Outback !! But I've done a couple of mountain drives - over the Coast Range to the Oregon coast and over the Cascades to Sisters / Central Oregon, and as I get used to the truck, I'm finding myself pretty happy with it over-all and have not noticed much body roll. Admittedly, I'm not pushing it super hard yet. And did have a bed loaded with camping gear on the last trip. I was actually in Central Oregon to attend Overland Expo PNW in Redmond and while there stopped by the Hellwig both and talked to the guy there. He had a sample of the material they make the sway bar from and it sure is a lot more substantial than the OEM ones ! I think sway bars work as a torsion spring if I understand it correctly, and there's a lot more "restoring force" in Hellwig's version. Obviously the sales guy talked up the benefits of their product, but it was useful to talk to him. I might yet do the upgrade, but so far am finding the truck handles pretty well, at least for my driving skill level in a truck !!
Most people will never realize how much of a difference the sway bar actually makes, and think the stock one works just fine. Which for most people it probably does. But after you install it, you will question why you waited so long. Especially if you enjoy some spirited driving.

TSL

Reaction score
Most people will never realize how much of a difference the sway bar actually makes, and think the stock one works just fine. Which for most people it probably does. But after you install it, you will question why you waited so long. Especially if you enjoy some spirited driving.
I have a suspicion you are probably right. What I have might be "good enough" - and I do feel happy enough with it so far - but, I am aware the upgrade could well be an eye-opener !

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I'm hoping (if I have the energy) to get mine installed this weekend.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
my 95 ram did not come with any sway bar and when I installed the hellwig you could really tell the difference.
having had a truck with no sway bar then installing a sway bar, I can say my current truck is performing as if I installed the bar on my 95.
so for now I am staying stock

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know, I should have them!
One of them was a metric that I didn't get in my set, a standard would have worked, but I used it for an excuse to run to Lowe's, only need one wrench but found 8 others in larger sizes that I didn't have, they cost nearly as much as the Hellwig. 15/16 and 1" craftsman were like $20 each:eek:

Bigbags85

Reaction score
One of them was a metric that I didn't get in my set, a standard would have worked, but I used it for an excuse to run to Lowe's, only need one wrench but found 8 others in larger sizes that I didn't have, they cost nearly as much as the Hellwig. 15/16 and 1" craftsman were like $20 each:eek:
I believe it! I recently (finally) picked up a nice set of ratcheting wrenches and it was not cheap. I was waiting for this specific Tekton set but it was out of stock for like 4 months so I found a gearwrench set that was actually cheaper and reversible (which is amazing!). Really happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread