5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hear a loud bang

Merlin

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning, all is normal, although I have this creaking when turning noise that comes and goes, but it seemed louder today. Anyway, I was just slowing down getting into turning lanes and I hear a loud bang, almost like running over an empty plastic soda bottle, but louder, I had the radio on kinda loud. I turned it down and checked my tire pressure and all was normal, when I made the turn I looked up and the rear window, driver side next to the slider had shattered. I don't think anyone could have thrown something at 40 miles an hour, and I am not sure how it happened. I already did a claim but it will probably be 10 days or so before I get it repaired. I declined safelite and went with my local shop hoping it will be faster. Heading over after work for them to look at. I taped it up with plastic on the outside and tape on the inside. Small shards of glass are everywhere. Just concerned it might happen again.

Does anyone know if this is something that is common? Ive had the truck since new and im just under 30,000 miles. 2019 ram bighorn crew cab.
Any input or theories are appreciated.
I didn't cut anyone off, was driving normal, not speeding, didn't hit any unusual bumps.
It was early like 510 am, I had the rear defroster on due to the humidity and fogged windows this morning up here in NY. I had just turned off the front defroster and the ac was on. Hopefully this all helps.
PXL_20230907_091614828.jpg

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing happening. Is there any detectable point of impact? Maybe a rock from an oncoming vehicle once you passed by?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I
So I was driving to work this morning, all is normal, although I have this creaking when turning noise that comes and goes, but it seemed louder today. Anyway, I was just slowing down getting into turning lanes and I hear a loud bang, almost like running over an empty plastic soda bottle, but louder, I had the radio on kinda loud. I turned it down and checked my tire pressure and all was normal, when I made the turn I looked up and the rear window, driver side next to the slider had shattered. I don't think anyone could have thrown something at 40 miles an hour, and I am not sure how it happened. I already did a claim but it will probably be 10 days or so before I get it repaired. I declined safelite and went with my local shop hoping it will be faster. Heading over after work for them to look at. I taped it up with plastic on the outside and tape on the inside. Small shards of glass are everywhere. Just concerned it might happen again.

Does anyone know if this is something that is common? Ive had the truck since new and im just under 30,000 miles. 2019 ram bighorn crew cab.
Any input or theories are appreciated.
I didn't cut anyone off, was driving normal, not speeding, didn't hit any unusual bumps.
It was early like 510 am, I had the rear defroster on due to the humidity and fogged windows this morning up here in NY. I had just turned off the front defroster and the ac was on. Hopefully this all helps.
View attachment 166833
Is it possible the rear HVAC vent was pointed right at the window? Running the rest defrodt then having cold A/C air hit it could have caused it. Especially if it was already compromised in some way.

Merlin

Reaction score
I

Is it possible the rear HVAC vent was pointed right at the window? Running the rest defrodt then having cold A/C air hit it could have caused it. Especially if it was already compromised in some way.
the vents are pointed at the floor because I always put the frozen food there to stay cool on the way home from the store. Air temp outside was about 73 degrees and high humidity this morning. I'll double check the vents though. Thank you for the idea.
I submitted the claim through Geico to my local mechanic and stopped by on the way home from work. The window is being replaced tomorrow.

Merlin

Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing happening. Is there any detectable point of impact? Maybe a rock from an oncoming vehicle once you passed by?
The owner of the shop said maybe a rock from a vehicle going the other way hit it. My wife thinks there may have been a crack or some sort of pre existing damage but I just cleaned the windows the other day. I didn't notice anything. IT was 5 am and dark so it could have been an angry troll throwing a rock too. It was by JFK Airport lots of debris on the road. Thanks for the input.

There are a couple holes but it was glass that fell when I was covering it. So no detectable point of impact.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Others on here have had there rear windows explode. Your not the first. Some even had the truck empty just sitting and they exploded like this. Quick google search you can find many post on it. Glad you didn’t get hurt.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is the perfect opportunity to get a solid rear window and eliminate the possibility of a leaky rear window.

6of36

Reaction score
This is the perfect opportunity to get a solid rear window and eliminate the possibility of a leaky rear window.
There is supposedly a new design as of June. On another thread.

Merlin

Reaction score
I had a replacement done today, it is different than what was in there. Im just letting it sit till tomorrow, I didn't even want to drive the mile and a half home. Here is a terrible pic I took when I got home. I will take more tomorrow, And the slider was connected backwards so I will go back and have it fixed this week. PXL_20230908_225738692.jpg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I had a replacement done today, it is different than what was in there. Im just letting it sit till tomorrow, I didn't even want to drive the mile and a half home. Here is a terrible pic I took when I got home. I will take more tomorrow, And the slider was connected backwards so I will go back and have it fixed this week. View attachment 166932

That's the aftermarket, Ford style rear window. Hopefully it doesn't leak.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's the aftermarket, Ford style rear window. Hopefully it doesn't leak.
If the dealer replaced it's I doubt it's an aftermarket Ford window. And yes, I k ow it's not actually a Ford window. Chances are this is the new design Ram is using now.

Merlin

Reaction score
If the dealer replaced it's I doubt it's an aftermarket Ford window. And yes, I k ow it's not actually a Ford window. Chances are this is the new design Ram is using now.
It wasn't done at the dealer, they said it was factory glass. The shop is dealing with Geico, they don't want to pay for the factory glass. So it is what it is. I have been going to this shop for 20 years and Im friends with the owner. Safelite did my windshield and it wasn't sealed right and they had to redo it and now its fine. But it isn't factory glass. That is why I didn't go with safelite this time. In the end, if it doesn't leak and it works right then it will do. If it isn't right the shop will fix it.

Thanks for all the input, it helps a lot. Thankful for the community here.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The only way to know for sure if it's OEM is to look for the label in the corner. If it has a Mopar label, it's factory. I'd be willing to bet it's not.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't done at the dealer, they said it was factory glass. The shop is dealing with Geico, they don't want to pay for the factory glass. So it is what it is. I have been going to this shop for 20 years and Im friends with the owner. Safelite did my windshield and it wasn't sealed right and they had to redo it and now its fine. But it isn't factory glass. That is why I didn't go with safelite this time. In the end, if it doesn't leak and it works right then it will do. If it isn't right the shop will fix it.

Thanks for all the input, it helps a lot. Thankful for the community here.
As long as it doesn't leak. I thought you had dealer do it. Most will never realize it's not factory

Merlin

Reaction score
As long as it doesn't leak. I thought you had dealer do it. Most will never realize it's not factory
It looks different to me, I figured it was an updated version, but it is different inside. I have to go back next week for them to fix the backwards connected switch. If its not right then it needs to be corrected. Thank you again.

Merlin

Reaction score
The only way to know for sure if it's OEM is to look for the label in the corner. If it has a Mopar label, it's factory. I'd be willing to bet it's not.
I looked and I don't see mopar listed. So I guess it isn't. So I will take it up with the shop monday. It's XYG so its aftermarket. I was wrong in the above posts. I guess its wait and see for leaks and quality. Not gonna lose sleep over it. Again Thank you. PXL_20230909_012536965.jpg

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
It's not actually a Ford window. They would not fit. It is however a Ford style aftermarket window. Someone else got one a few weeks ago. Ram supposedly has a new design, started in June, but it still looks the same.

6of36

Reaction score
Everybody will notice its not factory, with the little port hole.

Users who are viewing this thread