5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heads up for anyone chasing down rear window leak.

dork17

Reaction score
2019 1500. Rear window frame cracked at top, so I used flowable silicone along the top and top corners. That fixed those leaks. Carpet still getting damp under rear passenger seat. Brake light didn't show signs of leakage, but I replaced the seal anyway due to the leak. I checked the sunroof drain grommets, one was half pulled out. So I reseated that and caulked it. Still getting water under rear passenger.

Finally I removed the rear seats to see what the problem is. Using spray bottle to diagnose, I finally tracked down the leaky spot to the bottom right corner of the window. So I take a look very closely between the frame and window and there's literally a HOLE in the window seal. I will attach a photo. Going to squirt some silicone into it with a curved syringe to fill it in. Hopefully that is the last of it for this stupid leaky window. Next stop will be a replacement because I give up.

It's really a joke that they haven't recalled this window issue yet. Having the rear seats out, I see all the electronics back there streaked with water stain residue. This latest weep hole was dripping right on to the sub. The area around the RF module is streaked with dried water. These windows are a safety hazard and I really question loyalty to this brand due to it not being addressed.

Anyway, long rant but thought I'd share for anyone dealing with a leaky window. It may not even be the cracked frame itself, check all areas of the sealant due to shoddy workmanship. I can't even inspect the bottom section of it due to the bed, but it's probably same to assume I'll have a problem with that area next.

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_172425672.jpg
    PXL_20230827_172425672.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 210

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 1500. Rear window frame cracked at top, so I used flowable silicone along the top and top corners. That fixed those leaks. Carpet still getting damp under rear passenger seat. Brake light didn't show signs of leakage, but I replaced the seal anyway due to the leak. I checked the sunroof drain grommets, one was half pulled out. So I reseated that and caulked it. Still getting water under rear passenger.

Finally I removed the rear seats to see what the problem is. Using spray bottle to diagnose, I finally tracked down the leaky spot to the bottom right corner of the window. So I take a look very closely between the frame and window and there's literally a HOLE in the window seal. I will attach a photo. Going to squirt some silicone into it with a curved syringe to fill it in. Hopefully that is the last of it for this stupid leaky window. Next stop will be a replacement because I give up.

It's really a joke that they haven't recalled this window issue yet. Having the rear seats out, I see all the electronics back there streaked with water stain residue. This latest weep hole was dripping right on to the sub. The area around the RF module is streaked with dried water. These windows are a safety hazard and I really question loyalty to this brand due to it not being addressed.

Anyway, long rant but thought I'd share for anyone dealing with a leaky window. It may not even be the cracked frame itself, check all areas of the sealant due to shoddy workmanship. I can't even inspect the bottom section of it due to the bed, but it's probably same to assume I'll have a problem with that area next.
Recalls are ONLY FOR NHTSA SAFETY ISSUES.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recalls are ONLY FOR NHTSA SAFETY ISSUES.
Which means unfortunately we’ll only get a recall when someone dies in a fire caused by an etorque battery pack or some other electronic shorting out from the water intrusion and burning the whole truck up ☹️

6of36

Reaction score
Which means unfortunately we’ll only get a recall when someone dies in a fire caused by an etorque battery pack or some other electronic shorting out from the water intrusion and burning the whole truck up ☹️
Yep.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Do they make a solid window? Does the Tradesman come with one that would fit?

I haven't had mine leak but I must admit, I haven't opened it in 40k of driving either. What was wrong with a nice solid piece of tempered glass back there?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The problem is with the frame design itself, not from the actual sliding portion. And in my case, of the third leak spot I just found, it's just plain old poor installation work.
I must disagree with the "poor installation work" part.
Why? Because my replacement window was installed not by factory, but by a local glass shop.
And, guess what, it has developed cracks again.
I sealed the top, then the sides half way down and now getting ready to do the rest of the way to the bottom.
This whole thing is just a pain...

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The problem is with the frame design itself, not from the actual sliding portion. And in my case, of the third leak spot I just found, it's just plain old poor installation work.

The problem is with the plastic frame. The solid rear window doesn't have a frame...no frame, no leak.

jws1982

Reaction score
The rear cabin pressure vents also can leak into the cab and cause water to pool under the rear seat. If the leak continues, I’d check there next.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The problem is with the plastic frame. The solid rear window doesn't have a frame...no frame, no leak.
This is what I was thinking. I didn't look hard at the new fangled truck's power sliding window so I don't jinx myself. The old 70's truck solid back window just had a big 1 1/4 inch rubber seal running all the way around. Pretty fool proof.

I guess they had to fix that and make it better. Engineers....

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess they had to fix that and make it better. Engineers....
To get people in for repairs.
Don't make the item too properly this day and age as people will not go the dealership to get bent over.
Making a window that doesn't leak is stupid easy, it's not a new concept.
Do your house windows leak when it rains?

jkm312

Reaction score
I ran across this video awhile back. It shows you what is behind the rear seat without having to tear everything apart. It was the grommets in the floor pan that got my attention. With todays adhesives why would any sane engineer poke a hole in the floor pan to hold a piece of whatever that is, in place? The author also makes a good point in sealing around the cab vents.
To the OP you might find this helpful if you are still chasing water. My third brake light leaked under warranty and I got it repaired and the headliner cleaned up, mostly. Took two trips to the dealer body shop. One to diagnose the leak, and get the repair authorization, order the part, and a second trip for the repair. Knowing what I know now, I should have just changed the gasket myself and been done with it and saved a lot of time.

After talking with an independent body shop I have used a couple of time in the past, I did use some flowable silicone to seal around the top and part way down the sides of the rear window. They have changed a couple of these rear windows and didn't think it was drastically wrong. The rear window didn't leak, but it did get rid of some wind noise which surprised me. I'm out of the warranty time period so I felt I had nothing to lose and would be better off.

I agree that the water intrusion in these trucks is unreasonable for some of us. Last truck I had was an 09 Silverado. It was one of "those" trucks, always something, but at least I never felt I had to keep an empty coffee can in it to bail it out when I got caught in the rain.

Do I like my RAM, yes I do. I just pay attention to what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread