5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight Customization (DIY)

Ziggyrz07

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in doing this but doesn’t want to open their headlights let me know because I have a set of halogen lamps I just removed from my truck I would like to sell

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in doing this but doesn’t want to open their headlights let me know because I have a set of halogen lamps I just removed from my truck I would like to sell
Just to be clear the Diode Dynamics LED boards shown in this thread will not work with the halogen headlights, nor does DD make them as of yet. All the directions in this thread are for the mid level LED headlights and may not apply to the halogen headlights.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Just to be clear the Diode Dynamics LED boards shown in this thread will not work with the halogen headlights, nor does DD make them as of yet. All the directions in this thread are for the mid level LED headlights and may not apply to the halogen headlights.

Does anybody have these

Hi RebelWraith. Are you or others aware of the Diode Dynamics Midline Multicolor LED Boards being installed on 2020 Ram Limited trucks? According to a Rep at DD, these units have not yet been confirmed to work on the 2020 Rams, BUT an Authorized DD Installer in MI believes they will work w/o issues. Thanks!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Does anybody have these

Hi RebelWraith. Are you or others aware of the Diode Dynamics Midline Multicolor LED Boards being installed on 2020 Ram Limited trucks? According to a Rep at DD, these units have not yet been confirmed to work on the 2020 Rams, BUT an Authorized DD Installer in MI believes they will work w/o issues. Thanks!
I have not seen any 2020 models with them yet. But, I doubt they have changed anything to the headlight design. I would ask them to give you a discount to be the guinea pig.

Saints

Reaction score
Here are some night time photos. Ran the truck most of the day in the rain and no visible water or condensation inside the lenses.
Are the whites a lot brighter while driving in the day time and is it too bright while driving at night as to distract other drivers?

badgett28

Reaction score
They are brighter than the stock DRLs. They are not however brighter than the headlights.
Do you guys have a comparison possibly of the before and after? To see how much brighter the DD boards are over stock.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
As I thought the photo is gone. The white accent lights are brighter, but I wouldn't buy them just for that function as it isn't a drastic change. So, the way the accent lights are done is they are side lit. There is a clear diffuser tube at the top and bottom of the headlights. At each end of the tube is a VERY small LED to light them up. There is only so much you can do with a couple LEDs. This is why a lot of manufactures will have a full row of LEDs used for DRL. But, the separation between them is visible. I prefer the method RAM used even if it isn't as bright.

If I get another set to do I will post up comparison photos for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Last edited:

Motornon

Reaction score
Do you know where you can order replacement Lens for 2019 Laramie? Doesn't seem Mopar sells just the lens.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Thanks! What a racket, nearly $1K for one new headlight.
Yeah, these aren't old school headlights unfortunately. They are full LED, sealed, and come with the LED ballasts installed on the bottom.
You can find some used units on eBay as well. I purchased one for $250 for testing purposes.

Hutch45

Reaction score
Ok, so one set of headlights torn open. Tomorrow the Diode Dynamics boards will get installed. All the permaseal will get scraped out of the channels and off the lenses. Amber side marker lenses will be replaced with the pictured smoked side marker lenses and a little custom painting to the pictured part. The color will be Metal Speck Retro Red to match the interior of the Rebel.

Some testing will be done before the lenses are reattached with Butyl rubber and then pictures and videos will follow up to show how everything comes out.
How difficult was it to remove that part you painted red and reattach?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
How difficult was it to remove that part you painted red and reattach?
There are small tabs on the back of that part that are melted to hold it in place to the rest of the housing. They can be trimmed to release that portion so you can paint it. Once your paint work is complete just set it back in place and melt the remaining part of the tabs back down or secure with your choice of adhesive.

Hutch45

Reaction score
There are small tabs on the back of that part that are melted to hold it in place to the rest of the housing. They can be trimmed to release that portion so you can paint it. Once your paint work is complete just set it back in place and melt the remaining part of the tabs back down or secure with your choice of adhesive.
Thank you! I’m trying to work up the nerve to do that and RGB+W boards myself. I love this kind of technical work but I’m nervous about this one as lights are so pricey and I’ve never taken them apart before. Just scared to break some plastic tabs or something.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Thank you! I’m trying to work up the nerve to do that and RGB+W boards myself. I love this kind of technical work but I’m nervous about this one as lights are so pricey and I’ve never taken them apart before. Just scared to break some plastic tabs or something.
Full disclosure if you have never taken apart a headlight I would not start with a pair that uses permaseal. It is the more difficult of lense sealants out there. You'll need specific tools or you will trash the housings, possibly ruin them.

If you have the funds available grab a cheap busted up headlight off of eBay and practice on that one to get your methods down. Happy to help anyway I can.

Users who are viewing this thread