5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight Assembly

jlanc20

Reaction score
Just checked them out that might not look bad actually!

jlanc20

Reaction score
Yeah that is also my main concern, but Jrun50’s Black Forest Green with the color matched grill is fairly close and I still think it looks better than the cheapo blacked out reflector housings, whether they have LEDs or not.

The Morimotos for over double the price look nice/black but also think they give off the ‘aftermarket’ vibe a little more than I prefer. For the price could play around with smoking them yourself with vinyl vs painting them, etc.
I seen them and i agree i think they do also...ive seen pictures where the white doesnt look as bright almost like an off white but then the ones on their website like bright white lol so i dk how they look in person

jlanc20

Reaction score
So the Wicked LED’s perform very well. And the AlphaRex headlights have a distinct horizontal cutoff . I need to fine tune the height and the LED clocking, but I’ve donated enough knuckle skin this weekend. One thing I do like about these on my all white truck, is that th LED DRL’s blend in almost like body trim, giving the truck a “look” I like. View attachment 53076
Did you smoke these? They look tinted in the picture. . .looks great!

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Anyone having flickering issues with the H7 LEDs installed? Can get a set of 4 from Lasfit on EBay for like 55$, their LC6 model - seems like a variety of bulbs have worked well in this application. Lights ordered via group buy, should be here by next week.

Moe1962

Reaction score
Just completed my group buy purchase. Have looked for the LED's locally and no one has them, so I guess it's online shopping now.

Emarkowski24

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for upgrading the high beams for this as well. I’m gonna go with the previous mentioned H7 bulbs but wanted a suggestion for the high beam. I guess I could put the same bulbs in both the low beam and high beam slot but that just sounds wrong and stupid lol

Stony0604

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for upgrading the high beams for this as well. I’m gonna go with the previous mentioned H7 bulbs but wanted a suggestion for the high beam. I guess I could put the same bulbs in both the low beam and high beam slot but that just sounds wrong and stupid lol
I used the same bulb for both. Works for me. See post #90 for pics

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
When I ordered the AlphaRex PRO-Series Headlights, I noticed that they did not have any installation instructions posted on there website. So I contacted the Tech Support at AlphaRex. They told me to use the F66 fuse. Which is valid for the 4thGenRams but not the 5thGenRams. After he told me that he did not know which fuse to tap, he said that I could wire it to any 10 Amp - 20 Amp fuse that would come on with the starter.

When I saw that the fuse that was on the pigtail for the DRL's was a 15 AMP fuse I went with a 15-20 Amp fuse. I tested the fuse box with my Multi-Meter to figure out which one I could use that would only turn on when the truck was running. Most of the fuses had power all of the time. The only one that I could find was a F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
View attachment 46629
View attachment 46630
Here is a link to the Headlights: I purchased the Black but they have three options: Black / Chrome / Jet Black
AplhaRex.com

Used this info a bunch yesterday, thanks. How exactly did you route the DRL harness, lots of room in there just not exactly sure which way is best, etc.

Stony0604

Reaction score
Used this info a bunch yesterday, thanks. How exactly did you route the DRL harness, lots of room in there just not exactly sure which way is best, etc.
Honestly just fished it through away from moving parts and used zip ties haha

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I followed the front chassis bar under the Beauty Cover and in front of the transmission cooler.

I zipped tied it as I went along to the chassis.

I have highlighted the route in yellow.

This picture is behind the passenger side headlight.
DRL_Route1.png
DRL_Route2.png
DRL_Route3.png

gvande

Reaction score
This is a great thread, ready to install my Alpha's this weekend! Will post some before and after pics when completed. Thanks for the insight ahead of time, should make my install a bit easier. I found a video on taking the front end apart should anyone want to see it. It is for a different headlight install, but walks you through the taking the old ones out nicely.

Finished comparison. Boy those panels under the lights....one came right out and the other was a bear. Make sure you look at the beam heights, took a lot of adjusting to get them right, one was way high, the other way low.
comparison.JPG

Last edited:

Mpickwith

Reaction score
Can’t get the high or lows to come on, polarity issue? How do i correct?

53cd43ecc0a63863e3123db7179fe8a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Str8Ripon

Reaction score

I believe it is. If you reverse the plug at the bulb themselves it would correct - happened to me, on the plug there are positive and negative signs, flipped them at they worked, if that's your issue.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a great thread, ready to install my Alpha's this weekend! Will post some before and after pics when completed. Thanks for the insight ahead of time, should make my install a bit easier. I found a video on taking the front end apart should anyone want to see it. It is for a different headlight install, but walks you through the taking the old ones out nicely.

Finished comparison. Boy those panels under the lights....one came right of and the other was a bear. Make sure you look at the beam heights, took a lot of adjusting to get them right, one was way high, the other way low.
View attachment 55551
They Look Great. Nice Upgrade... (y):cool:

Str8Ripon

Reaction score

Finished comparison. Boy those panels under the lights....one came right of and the other was a bear. Make sure you look at the beam heights, took a lot of adjusting to get them right, one was way high, the other way low.
View attachment 55551

yes made the mistake of not adjusting the height/don’t have a great place to do it, happen to remember which direction raised the light and which lowered the beam?

Grip750

Reaction score
yes made the mistake of not adjusting the height/don’t have a great place to do it, happen to remember which direction raised the light and which lowered the beam?

Looks great. I am waiting on my order. Did you need to disconnect the battery before install so the cpu would not throw an error code?

Mpickwith

Reaction score
Looks great. I am waiting on my order. Did you need to disconnect the battery before install so the cpu would not throw an error code?

No I didn’t disconnect it, just loosened the posts to slide the connectors as needed. No error codes or any problems

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
So adjusted my headlights today, appears that with my lights in the off position my DRL strip comes on but the low beam is also on. I could have sworn that this was not occurring when I installed last week. I played with the fuse tap made sure the connection seemed okay - a little difficult to get super snug. I'm in the F60 fuse, both slots have in tact fuses in place. I take this to mean my DRL is not working as the low beam should be off, any other ideas why/things to troubleshoot you guys can think of?

gvande

Reaction score
Turn clockwise to lower, counterclockwise to raise.

Users who are viewing this thread