5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight Adjustment

JackWaggon

Reaction score
I might be a little late to the party but I found the youtube video about headlight adjustment. While it is not specific to Rams, all the directions will hold true for all application. Warning the host is pretty dry. Headlight Adjustment

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Instructions for Halogen Headlight Adjustment on Big Horn/Lone Star/Tradesman (non-factory LED)
1. Go to Home Depot and purchase a set of long, ball-end hex bit sockets like the picture below (Sku 795164 or equivalent).
2. Park your pickup about five feet from your garage door or a wall (see picture below) as this will help you see the beam going lower...too far away and it can be difficult to see.
3. No, I didn't put blue painters tape on my garage door or a wall and measure as I knew how to eyeball it and then park on the street to check with my wife's car to see if they are still too high.
4. Get your 3/8" ratchet with extensions and set yourself up like the picture below with the 1/4" hex bit socket - not 7/32" as stated in an earlier post .
5. Find the white hex aiming slot in the pictures below.
6. To turn the beam lower (toward the ground because you're blinding folks) you need to turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
7. Using your ratchet, turn counterclockwise five times in a complete rotation and then stop. Check your aim. If not enough, do another five.
8. I found exactly ten complete rotations of my ratchet did the trick on our 2020 Lone Star.

By the way, if you use 7/32", you will be turning 20, 30 or even 40 turns as it ain't doing "chit". You need to use a 1/4" which is the correct size and you can see the gear turning as you rotate the hex bit sock a full rotation. Works like a charm. Remember, don't do more than 20 to 25 maximum as you run the risk of backing that inside nut out too far and then you're past the point of no return.

Husky795164.jpg Aim1.jpg Aim2.jpg Aim3.jpg Aim4.jpg AIm5.jpg Aim6.jpg

Last edited:

trithumb

Reaction score
Anyone with stock tires and stock ORP have the beam height? I put larger tires and a level and now im murdering everyone with my low beams. If you do could you park and measure the height of your light and the distance to the wall? that'd be swell.

jlfkb2

Reaction score
Great input guys. I've got factory LED on my 2019 BigHorn. My low beams seem TOO low. I live in a neighborhood with minimal street lights and I'm always worried about hitting a walker or a deer on the back roads. Anyone had this issue? Truck is stock stance, and the front end actually seems to sit a little lower than other 4x4s I've seen for some reason, maybe it's just me. 20" wheels. I think I'm going to try to raise the low beams because I don't like running high beams all the time.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I was able to tilt the lights down a little bit after the falcon shocks went on.

While the shop did adjust them, I was getting a few flashes on the road, so I went ahead and adjusted them down a liiiiiittle more

Reaction score
Great input guys. I've got factory LED on my 2019 BigHorn. My low beams seem TOO low. I live in a neighborhood with minimal street lights and I'm always worried about hitting a walker or a deer on the back roads. Anyone had this issue? Truck is stock stance, and the front end actually seems to sit a little lower than other 4x4s I've seen for some reason, maybe it's just me. 20" wheels. I think I'm going to try to raise the low beams because I don't like running high beams all the time.
I believe Ram has the lights low on purpose so when you hook up a trailer and the rear drops a couple of inches you don't start blinding people. I also have the factory LED headlights and feel they are pointed to low.

fleck1017

Reaction score
Let’s say my “friend” happened to go too far counterclockwise, would he or she be SOL and have to buy a new assembly, or is there another possible solution? This “friend” can be a real dumbass sometimes...

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I understand the assembly can be placed into an oven to heat the glue which will permit you to disassemble the unit to fix it. However, it may not seal up well thus permitting moisture to enter once you re-install it. The good thing is they are relatively cheap on eBay so I wouldn’t wast my time trying to fix it.

Joeyz400

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to adjust the high beam? I adjusted my low beam and it didn't affect the high beam so there must be a separate adjusting screw somewhere....

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question...so now that it's settled on how to raise and lower the beam pattern, my real question.

In regards to the beam "hot center zone" height at ...let's say 25 ft. Are we using the dot that is on the actual headlight and measuring that same height up against the wall from 25ft? I have to get the exact measurement, but I measured roughly 3ft 10in on the circle on the headlight. So does that mean at 25ft away, that's the same height?

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Ccm12

Reaction score
Same exact issue on my 2019 with stock led. Did you turn counter clockwise to raise them??

Tika

Reaction score
So are you just turning the plastic piece fir adjustment or actual Philips head?....sounds like just the white plastic piece with Allen slot.....the Phillips head just probably holds the adjuster in place

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/